Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:35 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by xzibit
I couldn't understand how he could support a family renting that house on $50k!! And they were considering buying it. I'm planning on going over on my own, earning $45k-$50k and am thinking I may struggle with a tiny 1/2 bed place.

I think there was some stretching of the truth somewhere in there. Having a $400k mortgage on a $20k salary is 20x his earnings. I can't see that happening.
I agree generally. It couldn't be done starting from scratch. However, many poms come over here with a large amount of equity from their UK house, especially if they owned it for many years and in a good (southern often) location which experienced good growth. If you can put down 50% (say) deposit (we had 60%+) then it can be done.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't understand how he could support a family renting that house on $50k!! And they were considering buying it. I'm planning on going over on my own, earning $45k-$50k and am thinking I may struggle with a tiny 1/2 bed place.

I think there was some stretching of the truth somewhere in there. Having a $400k mortgage on a $20k salary is 20x his earnings. I can't see that happening.
I know the family and they are looking into buying the house. He sold a very successful business in the UK so I don't think funds are going to be an issue.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:01 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
I hope I can help out on this. As you all know by now I was lucky enough to go out to Perth with the BBC last year. The house the BBC rented for the duration of our stay was from “get settled in Perth” Lovely couple, Lyndzey & Ralph. I phoned Ralph up at the beginning of the year and he informed me he was in the middle of winding down Get settled in Perth and moving on to Victoria on the eastern side of Australia. I have just tried their web site but it’s all closed down. So one would guess they have rapped it all up by now. Sorry for the bad news.

I do have some good news THE LARNER’S GOT THEIR VISA’S TODAY
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
:t humbup:

FANTASTIC
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of

I know it has been asked before but how do you get to download the BBc wanted down under programmes from Australia as the bbc player will not work over here? Please someone tell me where I can download it as watched them last year from the Uk and would love to see these catch up programmes.

Thanks
Janet
PS Good luck to the Bolders for getting their visa. May the good times begin.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:02 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, its a great feeling

Joex
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:05 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoyed yesterdays show. Seemed a lovely family and had a great attitude. Glad they have settled well. Their house is gorgeous, and Mark was impressed with the Holden Commodore on the drive

Joex
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Congratulations

CONGRATULATIONS Paul
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Really enjoyed yesterdays show. Seemed a lovely family and had a great attitude. Glad they have settled well. Their house is gorgeous, and Mark was impressed with the Holden Commodore on the drive

Joex
Yesterdays show was great - fantastic attitudes towards the move and there new life
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

I hope I can help out on this. As you all know by now I was lucky enough to go out to Perth with the BBC last year. The house the BBC rented for the duration of our stay was from “get settled in Perth” Lovely couple, Lyndzey & Ralph. I phoned Ralph up at the beginning of the year and he informed me he was in the middle of winding down Get settled in Perth and moving on to Victoria on the eastern side of Australia. I have just tried their web site but it’s all closed down. So one would guess they have rapped it all up by now. Sorry for the bad news.

Congratulations, Its a wonderful feeling, just wait until you see the visa stickers in your passport When do you think you will be off to OZ? Were off to Perth on 2nd May!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

wow fab news, bet your chuffed to bits - when are you planning to go?

lisa
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
I agree generally. It couldn't be done starting from scratch. However, many poms come over here with a large amount of equity from their UK house, especially if they owned it for many years and in a good (southern often) location which experienced good growth. If you can put down 50% (say) deposit (we had 60%+) then it can be done.
Originally Posted by northernbird
I know the family and they are looking into buying the house. He sold a very successful business in the UK so I don't think funds are going to be an issue.
Both valid points. My trouble is, that only being young, I forget that families have been paying off mortgages, saving, and had properties rise in value for 20-30 odd years. I suppose them selling the business and their flat meant they had money to come over with.

God how I envy you mature people lol. I've had about 3 years of working to save money lol, so I need to mortgage pretty much the whole cost.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Both valid points. My trouble is, that only being young, I forget that families have been paying off mortgages, saving, and had properties rise in value for 20-30 odd years. I suppose them selling the business and their flat meant they had money to come over with.

God how I envy you mature people lol. I've had about 3 years of working to save money lol, so I need to mortgage pretty much the whole cost.
Hmmm? Would I swap $350K equity to be 15 years younger??? Not sure I can answer that!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

crosslc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge
I know it has been asked before but how do you get to download the BBc wanted down under programmes from Australia as the bbc player will not work over here? Please someone tell me where I can download it as watched them last year from the Uk and would love to see these catch up programmes.

Thanks
Janet
PS Good luck to the Bolders for getting their visa. May the good times begin.
Janet

You need to have a bittorrent client installed. The one I use is Azureus, http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ It is quite straightforward to install from memory.
Next you can go to the box and search on wanted down under http://www.thebox.bz/.
You download the episode you want (which is a really quick download) and then open it once downloaded. This then starts the download of the actual episode in Azureus which can take quite a long time so you need patience (I leave mine downloading overnight).

I hope that helps http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...es/thumbup.gif

Clare.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone watch today's? I felt a little sad. The couple seemed to have a lot of obstacles in their way and I do wonder if they will make it over. The biggest one being his daughter who wanted to stay behind. I hope they manage to pesuade the younger daughter to make the move and sell the house.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:10 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Did anyone watch today's? I felt a little sad. The couple seemed to have a lot of obstacles in their way and I do wonder if they will make it over. The biggest one being his daughter who wanted to stay behind. I hope they manage to pesuade the younger daughter to make the move and sell the house.
I saw todays programme. I too felt that it was going to be very difficult for them, daughter staying behind , the house not being sold and the business maybe a sale going through. I really liked this family, where they live in Devon looked really lovely. I hope they make it. Yesterdays with the butcher from Luton was interesting , they were very well grounded and didn't expect everything straight away and that was a nice changed, on many of these shows everyone seems to want everything without working and waiting for it.
Good Luck to both families.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.