Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by northernbird
They don't own that house, they rent it.
Hi NB

I realised that, but they were saying that they'd like to buy it and they would have to have a $400k mortgage. I just thought that was unrealistic for the wages the programme said he would be earning.

Jo
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi NB

I realised that, but they were saying that they'd like to buy it and they would have to have a $400k mortgage. I just thought that was unrealistic for the wages the programme said he would be earning.

Jo
oh OK, I haven't watched it yet, I misunderstood your post.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
I thought they seemed really nice and seemed to have the right attitude. The only slightly worrying thing I thought was when they said the mortgage on that house would be $3000 per month and earlier Nadia had said that his wages in the butchers would be about £20k ($50k) with overtime! By the time he's taxed on that it works out about $800 per week, that would only just cover the mortgage nevermind all the other outgoings. We only had a really small mortgage of $75k in Perth and my husband was a brickie and earn't decent money and we were still always struggling so how could you possible have a mortgage that big unless you were on really good money?? A lot of this programme is unrealistic but it's interesting to watch.
Jo
I am sure I read a while back that $3K (or a bit more actually) was the average mortgage in Perth. So that is quite believable.

But I think anyone would struggle on $60K pa never mind $50K. If you earn that sort of money you probably would be thinking of renting rather than buying or even looking to the govt for support. Two bread winners is another option.

I guess the guy in the programme (I didn't watch that one I admit) may not have known all his options. The one I watched with the sparky was offered $50K as an apprentice electrician but once he got his ticket, worked as an engineer, went up the mines, went self-employed etc etc he could have done much better than that.

But isn't that the Aussie way? If you are prepared to work hard and take a risk the opportunities are out there for the taking.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by mindblower
It's just how you want it to turn out yourself isn't it.
Yes definately. Nice house to live in, kids settled, the sort of job you want and lots of new friends and all in the country you want to live in. Just perfect
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
I think the key thing was when she said that they were trying to keep busy and not think about missing anyone. If you don't deal with emotions they will end up overwhelming you, and you may do things that are a little more drastic than you might have otherwise. Agree with what everyone else has said too.

I watched all of these last week when I was off work sick (full of cold), but this is the first one that hub watched too. Just my luck that it was the one that ended in tears! He's spent the whole night analysing it. But I suppose its best to think of the worst that can happen as well as the best.

get him to watch todays programme, that'll shut him up

Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:38 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I am sure I read a while back that $3K (or a bit more actually) was the average mortgage in Perth. So that is quite believable.

But I think anyone would struggle on $60K pa never mind $50K. If you earn that sort of money you probably would be thinking of renting rather than buying or even looking to the govt for support. Two bread winners is another option.

I guess the guy in the programme (I didn't watch that one I admit) may not have known all his options. The one I watched with the sparky was offered $50K as an apprentice electrician but once he got his ticket, worked as an engineer, went up the mines, went self-employed etc etc he could have done much better than that.

But isn't that the Aussie way? If you are prepared to work hard and take a risk the opportunities are out there for the taking.
And going up the mines means less of a family life which is one of the reasons they moved out there. Even setting up on his own after all that hassle is too much when he had it good in the UK.

My recent experience of the Australian way was pretty much 'expect to be screwed professionally and financially and be grateful for it because you should consider yourself lucky to be here'
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Hi, gr8 show today. They seem like a lovely family and have the right attitude towards their move. It just goes to show that there is a better life out there if you are prepared to take the risk. Can't wait to get to the Gold Coast....roll on visa!!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel

I couldn't understand how he could support a family renting that house on $50k!! And they were considering buying it. I'm planning on going over on my own, earning $45k-$50k and am thinking I may struggle with a tiny 1/2 bed place.

I think there was some stretching of the truth somewhere in there. Having a $400k mortgage on a $20k salary is 20x his earnings. I can't see that happening.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

I understand they found their freinds through a group called 'Get setttled in Perth'. Does anyone know how to contact them? I have googled and also done a search on this website, but nothing came up.

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Please tell them they came across really well, what a great couple so down to earth and realistic. Good on dad for giving up his business for his kids, they will not grow up and say " i'm so glad we never saw daddy but at least we had loads of toys and the latest trainers" but "we had a great childhood and i know who my dad is and what great fun he was!"
The expats mates looked great too, i hope we can get that when we come over. I bet you make some really deep friendships as you all have something in common and rely on eachother as you would a family.
And their house looked beautiful, what great taste they have.
Good luck to them,
Claire.x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
I understand they found their freinds through a group called 'Get setttled in Perth'. Does anyone know how to contact them? I have googled and also done a search on this website, but nothing came up.
I hope this isn't the case, but maybe the expats who set the organisation up, went back to the UK!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:22 pm
u only get 1 shot

B@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to all

I hope I can help out on this. As you all know by now I was lucky enough to go out to Perth with the BBC last year. The house the BBC rented for the duration of our stay was from “get settled in Perth” Lovely couple, Lyndzey & Ralph. I phoned Ralph up at the beginning of the year and he informed me he was in the middle of winding down Get settled in Perth and moving on to Victoria on the eastern side of Australia. I have just tried their web site but it’s all closed down. So one would guess they have rapped it all up by now. Sorry for the bad news.

I do have some good news THE LARNER’S GOT THEIR VISA’S TODAY
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
:t humbup:
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
Congratulations
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I can help out on this. As you all know by now I was lucky enough to go out to Perth with the BBC last year. The house the BBC rented for the duration of our stay was from “get settled in Perth” Lovely couple, Lyndzey & Ralph. I phoned Ralph up at the beginning of the year and he informed me he was in the middle of winding down Get settled in Perth and moving on to Victoria on the eastern side of Australia. I have just tried their web site but it’s all closed down. So one would guess they have rapped it all up by now. Sorry for the bad news.

Glad they didn't pack it all in and have just moved interstate.

WOOHOO!! on your visa! Let the good times begin!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:54 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

If you check out the meet up section of this forum you will see there are lots of get togethers arranged, you could even organize one yourself

There are also a couple of coffee mornings which should start up once the kids are back to school next week. One is a Hillarys on a Thursday from 12pm and will be at the Dome Cafe and there is also one on a Tuesday at 12 at the Boat in Mindarie. They all really nice and friendly and alway welcome newbies.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:57 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Saw your revisited program the other night
Good luck to you and your family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.