Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by wardy2
So who would they have sacked to give him the head chef job. The only job on offer was that of a sous chef he knew that when he picked the job option.

Too many people decide to emigrate and expect to have it handed to them on a plate and want what they had previously in the UK. You cant walk into a new country and expect to be given the bosses job straight away.
Here, here!

My OH is self employed and has a really good reputation within his field, and its taken him many years to get to this point.
However, he knows that when we get to Oz, he will be employed in a different capacity with others telling him what to do - I'm sure that won't always be easy, let alone the drop in salary but thats all part of the trade off for the life we hope to have there.
I am sure some people are lucky and do not have to "start again" but I reckon for most of us there are big changes in the workplace situation.

However, I do feel that the BBC seem to hellbent on picking people who have not done any research, some don't even seem to fit the visa criteria and most can't manage without their families for one week, let alone on a permanent basis. Its a shame they didn't get more genuine committed people. There are exceptions of course, Ruth and the very dedicated single mother spring to mind.

Sam
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sheffman
Hi Dawn,
I know I shouldnt jump to conclusion, but those kids pushed all my buttons especially the one who, refused to get on the boat,,'Mom you know I dont do boats' only to walk on later, and say 'mom you owe me big time' at which point mom gave him a big hug! awwww I know I shouldnt say this in todays pc world, but he came across as such a petulant/arrogant/spoilt arghh!!!
Couldn't agree more. And the sobbing Granny certainly didn't waste her video opportunity in showing her 'support'.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

welshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by abertawe
What is this programme.

What channel is it on.

What day and time?

its on every morning monday - friday bbc 1 at 9.15am....but its in its third week now but if you want to see last weeks,todays and yesterdays programmes..try www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
and select last 7 days and then BBCone and than morning..and then click on wanted down under..

hope this helps

clare & dean x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:28 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Here, here!

My OH is self employed and has a really good reputation within his field, and its taken him many years to get to this point.
However, he knows that when we get to Oz, he will be employed in a different capacity with others telling him what to do - I'm sure that won't always be easy, let alone the drop in salary but thats all part of the trade off for the life we hope to have there.
I am sure some people are lucky and do not have to "start again" but I reckon for most of us there are big changes in the workplace situation.

Which is why I believe the whole skills shortage thing is pretty much a farce. If there was a skills shortage and British immigrants were so desperately 'wanted down under' there would be more positions for people to slot into that would not be a massive step backwards. I personally could not find work as a teacher and I am Australian and trained in Australia. There have been stories on this forum about experienced people taking a big step backwards because they don't have the right piece of paper (which costs alot of money to get) or they have to work longer hours to get the same sort of pay/standard of living they would have got in the UK. What people don't often realise is the shortages are in places noone wants to live, hence the availability of positions.
That is why the chef couple would have been mad to go to Australia. If you are doing well in the UK it is easier to tweak your life in UK rather than take steps backward to start all again in Australia.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:43 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
Couldn't agree more. And the sobbing Granny certainly didn't waste her video opportunity in showing her 'support'.
this bit really gets my goat! When these are filmed they've only been gone for a WEEK! How dependant are these families?? Really think that the purpose of this programme is to put people off!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Glad to no that OH and me are not the only ones screaming at the TV!!!!

Last years series was great but his one................Just hoping the catch up programmes prove to be better.

With the exception of Ruth and the single Mum I expect Australia is breathing a sigh of relief with the others not choosing to stay - todays and yesterdays families especially!!!!

Why don't the BBC send people who have done a bit of research first? Ooo it makes my blood boil.

Rant over..

Jackie
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:07 pm
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by noofie
Glad to no that OH and me are not the only ones screaming at the TV!!!!

Last years series was great but his one................Just hoping the catch up programmes prove to be better.

With the exception of Ruth and the single Mum I expect Australia is breathing a sigh of relief with the others not choosing to stay - todays and yesterdays families especially!!!!

Why don't the BBC send people who have done a bit of research first? Ooo it makes my blood boil.

Rant over..

Jackie
The BBC don't send people who have done research cos it would make for boring television. They want people to react as we have done to the programmes.
It was the last one today and from tomorrow they are doing a Down Under Re-Visited so have set up my SkyPlus to record those.
Not sure how many days that is on for with out checking Sky.

I agree with other though in saying that the single Mum had the best programme and was the most realistic and if she ever emigrates she will do extremely well.

Best wishes

Caz
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
starting again.....

FIZZYMOON will become famous soon enough

I agree that the single mum was the best programme and she certainly wanted it to work, but how realistic was she being?
They didnt show her any houses she could afford, the job was on offer providing she did nights - which she said she couldnt do because of the children and she noticed how pricey getting a 'babysitter' would be.
She has had the support of her family here but over there it will be just her and the boys.
However I really hope that if thats what she wants that she goes for it, im scared enough doing it as a single female let alone with 2 boys depending on me!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:25 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CazBeckham
It was the last one today and from tomorrow they are doing a Down Under Re-Visited so have set up my SkyPlus to record those.
Not sure how many days that is on for with out checking Sky.

Best wishes

Caz
According to the BBC website it's at least on until next Tuesday, can't check any further than that
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:09 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

ok guys....not read all the comments on here yet, as haven't seen today's episode yet...but just finished watching yesterday's....no disrespect, but surely they knew it wasn't for them, he wasn't committed and on top of that, they could have afforded to have gone and done their own reccie, giving someone else a chance of a freebie......if they could afford a house like that!!
As for the job, if he wanted to get out there, then take into consideration, he will have to work to make it again.....!!

Ems x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

I knows it only a tv show and we don't have to watch it but the family who was on today really got my back up!

The dad who said b4 he went he would do any job. When he got there the 1st thing he said it was for him cos he would be with 'joe public' not many jobs he would do then.

The mum moan about every house that this that and the other would need changing, most houses you buy you have to change.

And them kids! I wont even start on that one but someone needs a smack! maybe the parents who knows?

Rant over but looking forward to the revisit ones that start tomorrow.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else getting pissed off with all the emotional blackmail, extended drama and repeat shots?

If I hear one more relative say "I miss you so much and If you don't come back I will be heartbroken!" I will scream!

They have gone for a week, a week FFS! I have had sex that lasted longer!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RedT
According to the BBC website it's at least on until next Tuesday, can't check any further than that

Its on all next week as well, revisiting people from last years show
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Is anyone else getting pissed off with all the emotional blackmail, extended drama and repeat shots?

If I hear one more relative say "I miss you so much and If you don't come back I will be heartbroken!" I will scream!

They have gone for a week, a week FFS! I have had sex that lasted longer!
I suppose it is for the what if scenario...if the people featured carry things through. Know where you are coming from Rugby Matt!

As for your last sentence...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
I suppose it is for the what if scenario...if the people featured carry things through. Know where you are coming from Rugby Matt!

As for your last sentence...
I like the idea of watching it but by the time they sit down for the DVD blackmail I start screaming at the TV.

Then there are the ENDLESS votes, the attempt at suspense with the flags and the lingering shots!

I want to kill them all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.