Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by kporte
no not seriously mistaken. i live in a two year old uk house and speak from experience. and every structure is built "within tolerance" anywhere. not saying the houses in oz aren't as bad or even worse, but lets not rosy tint about good old british standards. you also have to consider the difference in room sizes etc and the need for uk houses to withstand severe temperature variations. you're comparing apples with oranges here. likewise if you wanted a uk house built to the same dimmensions as an oz house, "twice the price" wouldn't touch it
Hmmm.... I lived in a new UK property a couple of years ago, and it was RUBBISH! Looked lovely, but as soon as you touched anything it fell apart and in no time there was water leaking in from somewhere external.... It was pants!
I'm sure there are great new-builds in the UK, as I am sure that the quality of Aussie (other other) newbuilds varies greatly too.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I'm sure there are great new-builds in the UK, as I am sure that the quality of Aussie (other other) newbuilds varies greatly too.
Missed my point entirely, my original point was the reason why houses are cheaper in Oz is because they're cheaper to build because of the inferior materials used.

Of course there is bad workmanship everywhere.

The original comment was about how UK houses were a rip off and I just stated that because if the way they were built they were more expensive.

If you built houses the same way in the UK they'd be a lot cheaper but they wouldn't pass BS.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Torrent for last weeks now available on UKNova
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Been watching it on and off - it's very same'y' - And I do fail to see how anyone can make a choice in a week. I'm jetlagged for 2
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
Torrent for last weeks now available on UKNova
Can't get a sign up will keep trying though
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:35 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Been watching it on and off - it's very same'y' - And I do fail to see how anyone can make a choice in a week. I'm jetlagged for 2
they are people who were looking at coming anyway. The butcher and his wife who came to perth had already applied for their visa.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:49 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
you know what ever !!!

it wasnt a post on here but on another post,i have looked up your user name and all the post you have evr loked at or written on,alot are posts to do with moving back to uk!!!!!...you havent said you dont like oz, but you are so negative about it to do with people moving, if they would have a better life there than here in uk good luck...
yes lots of brits move to oz all over, but isnt it 80 %(statistics) of british living in perth or am i just wrong yet again in your eyes.
maybe you should look to why i want to move then you would realise i woud have a better life for my kids there.than here in the uk and people like you try to put me off ....No i have nevr been to oz, but done enough research thankyou...

.and if i can live in a better area than i do. I live in a council area for gods sake its all i can afford here in expensive south of england,i be able to buy a house for less than the ones here have a better life for my kids...

..tell me why to so many brits move and they havent even been there, perhaps like me they choose to move for a better life.......wdu is a good programme to show different reasons for the move i would say alot would never make it and settle the ones who will seriously miss their family or had a better life in the uk,the family on the sydney show hairdreser had a beauitiful home here good business hair dressers , and they perhaps wouldnt have the same life there especially if she took on a employed position as a barber. they still picked oz.though....different lives create different experiences......my life would be better in oz thats that.
I too have read all my posts and have never tried to put anyone off coming here. I like it, just not enough. So sorry, not 'so negative' either. Been here over a decade now, been back to south east of England recently, most of my family are there. Love it!

Sorry again, but 80% of people living here in WA are NOT Brit's. The highest percentage of brit's choose NSW btw.

I hope for all your sakes that your lives will be better here in OZ, though I just cannot understand how anyone could possibly know that until they have lived here. You might hope that it will, but you can't possibly know that. I also hope that you don't go through some of the awful pangs of homesickness, lonliness and feelings of not belonging that some go through.

I didn't intend to make you feel bad or to try to turn you off in anyway whatsoever, I just wondered how you could come to the positive conclusion that you so obviously display, that life in Oz IS better.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl

I didn't intend to make you feel bad or to try to turn you off in anyway whatsoever, I just wondered how you could come to the positive conclusion that you so obviously display, that life in Oz IS better.
Baffling isn't it, having not even visited
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I too have read all my posts and have never tried to put anyone off coming here. I like it, just not enough. So sorry, not 'so negative' either. Been here over a decade now, been back to south east of England recently, most of my family are there. Love it!

Sorry again, but 80% of people living here in WA are NOT Brit's. The highest percentage of brit's choose NSW btw.

I hope for all your sakes that your lives will be better here in OZ, though I just cannot understand how anyone could possibly know that until they have lived here. You might hope that it will, but you can't possibly know that. I also hope that you don't go through some of the awful pangs of homesickness, lonliness and feelings of not belonging that some go through.

I would echo every word of that. It has worked out for me but for a lot, particularly those with strong family bonds, it doesn't.

Good luck to Gracie but suggest she takes her rose tinteds off until she is atually here.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Baffling isn't it, having not even visited
Yeah but looks good on TV though!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

but for me i want to try it, and carpenters are in demand out there unlike here ,all the polish have been aloud in and they work for £5 per hour,have taken all our jobs good on them for wanting to work, i blame the government, they do not put their own people first..kids here are getting worse than ever uk has gone to pot big time ,no first time buyers interest rates are hiking and lots of people already been reposessed.....i dont know how long you been out there, but maybe you forgotton how bad the uk is...
Please tell me your vast experience of all the UK? Maybe where you live you don't like it, cannot be said of all of UK.
Who are these undefined "our" people? Your Mother is Yugoslavian is she not one of those who've stolen all the £5 an hour jobs? Or is that just exclusive to Polish people? All sounds a tad racist if you ask me?

...i just hope it is for us, i know its not for evry one, but just because it has not worked for you does not mean it doesnt work for everyone, if its 30% of brits come home 70% stay well that sounds promising to me......if i hate it in queensland i wll move somewhere else in oz i will not come back to the uk.
Lets see how you get on being an immigrant in "other" nationals own country. I hope for your sake you do like it as you're pinning all your hopes on it!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:37 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Yes you are seriously mistaken. Of course twice the price wouldn't touch it because they use better materials.

No rosy tint here, just cold facts.

For an example the wood they use here wouldn't pass British standards as it is half the size.

The reason why houses are cheaper here is because they use cheaper materials and less of them, this isn't an opinion it's a fact.

But don't let the small matter of a fact get in the way of a good old UK dig.

Before anyone tells me to go home if I don't like it, well I do like it.

But I don't have to walk about with rose tints on to do so.
not getting a dig at the uk fraser. just stating the cold hard fact that uk houses are not well built. the fact that aussie houses are worse is a shame.
again as i live in a uk house i feel better placed to comment on the build quality than someone who does not.
however i do take your point on board regarding aussie houses.
that in mind, what type of house represents a good investment,
ie what is the least shoddily put together?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

not getting a dig at the uk fraser. just stating the cold hard fact that uk houses are not well built. the fact that aussie houses are worse is a shame.
again as i live in a uk house i feel better placed to comment on the build quality than someone who does not.
The one that Jack built!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:40 am

I'm well aware of how UK houses are built, i was in the building trade. I wasn't talking about human error just the fact that more is put in to a Uk house, hence the extra expense. Not because the UK is a rip off which is what my first comment was directed at.

No worries
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

A cave. Should last a lifetime and has similar qualities to most Aussie homes when it comes to keeping the heat in in Winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.