Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 28th 2007, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Is anyone going to Melbourne on this series!!!!, getting fed up with the same
places and the same old link speech. Yes I can switch off (or not record) but I am hoping that one day Melbourne will be featured. Does anyone know or is there a family on this site that went to Melbourne or even Victoria?, perhaps Victoria did not want to provide advertising money to the programme.

Cheryl
Hya Cheryl
Ive just searched the radio times for where the programme is showing and there is no show covering Melbourne or indeed anywhere in Victoria, which is a shame because thats where Im going.
Maybe not too much of a shame because now I dont have to look at it!

Louise
Old Jan 28th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Hya Cheryl
Ive just searched the radio times for where the programme is showing and there is no show covering Melbourne or indeed anywhere in Victoria, which is a shame because thats where Im going.
Maybe not too much of a shame because now I dont have to look at it!

Louise

Wonder why it was not covered at least once. I believe the programme is showing areas of Australia that is sponsoring trade skilled people and maybe there was no one picked for the programme with a skill required by Victoria. It is a shame as I would have loved to have seen it myself as I believe they have shown all the other locations in their best light. Adelaide looked fantastic I hardly recognised it from the place we visited last year.

Thank you for letting me know, I suppose I will not be quite as enthusiastic to watch them now as I know Victoria does not feature. Maybe they could not find a complete sunny day to film Victoria and thats why it is not shown (ha ha ).

Cheryl
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:00 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future
Post Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi guys

I was in Oz for 6 months staying in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth - also took in the Gold Coast and Canberra. I've been watching most of the 2nd week and liked the couple from Ireland and the guy from Bournemouth who was sensible enough not to see things through rose-tinted spectacles, like a lot of others.

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? This is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River and the Pinnacles need at least an overnight stay. To get to the nearest Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok but most Oz cities are on the coast. Fancy being stuck all the time in boring Perth apart from when u take yr holidays - mad.

As for me I'd still rather live in the UK despite Anthony Blair's best efforts to make this country as undesirable as possible .
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Assegai
Hi guys

I was in Oz for 6 months staying in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth - also took in the Gold Coast and Canberra. I've been watching most of the 2nd week and liked the couple from Ireland and the guy from Bournemouth who was sensible enough not to see things through rose-tinted spectacles, like a lot of others.

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? This is the most isolated city in the world and apart from Rottnest Island the local attractions like the Margaret River and the Pinnacles need at least an overnight stay. To get to the nearest Oz city (Adelaide) u need to fly. The city centre including Subiaco is pretty dull although the beaches are ok but most Oz cities are on the coast. Fancy being stuck all the time in boring Perth apart from when u take yr holidays - mad.

As for me I'd still rather live in the UK despite Anthony Blair's best efforts to make this country as undesirable as possible .

I am glad that web sites like this one give you something to do while you are in UK. Why are you participating in our debate will Oz not have you?

Cheryl
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:13 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

I am glad that web sites like this one give you something to do while you are in UK. Why are you participating in our debate will Oz not have you?

Cheryl
Meeaaoow Cheryl!!!!
What part of Victoria are you planning to go to? We are going to the western suburbs of Melbourne as that is where my family are. I thought Brisbane looked lovely - somewhere for me to go on my holidays to when I finally get there.
Louise
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:21 pm
Chris Thomas

christhomas99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Saw an episode last Friday "Adelaide" and it was quite good, the program could have been shown in half the time if they handn't repeated themselves so much...but still they have to justify the time slot I suppose, I know I'll be watching the rest. This weeks times are: -

Monday 29th 9.15am - Brisbaine
Tuesday 30th 9.15am - New South Wales
Wednesday 31st 9.15 - Adelaide
Thursday 1st Feb (Feb Already Blimey! eh!) 9.15am - Queensland
Friday 2nd - Perth (The place we all love!)

Hope this helps, they're definitley worth recording.

Chris
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:11 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies

Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
UKNova Download info is now in this thread -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422026
The info is fantastic as even people like me can understand it (!!) but it was getting lost in here among the carpet fitting info........so I've moved the majority of posts to a new thread:
BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!
Hope this is OK with everyone, might make things easier to follow
Good move Polly...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Meeaaoow Cheryl!!!!
What part of Victoria are you planning to go to? We are going to the western suburbs of Melbourne as that is where my family are. I thought Brisbane looked lovely - somewhere for me to go on my holidays to when I finally get there.
Louise
Hi Louise,

Yes sorry about the above but why does someone who never wants to go to Oz participate in this forum?. I dint mean to be nasty but why provoke ill feeling on a thread that should not concern you if you do not want to go to Oz because it is boring etc etc.

My family are planning to go to Mount Eliza, Mornington area, my family are all over Oz but I am close to my Aunt and cousins based in Melbourne (Waragull and Mornington). My Uncle lived in Brisbane until recently , he has just moved to Hervey Bay but my cousin still lives in Brisbane (there are no beaches there you have to travel up or down the coast to get a nice beach but the City is beautiful).

Sorry if I offended anyone but really there was no need for Assegai to post a statement like that,

Cheryl
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Louise,

Yes sorry about the above but why does someone who never wants to go to Oz participate in this forum?. I dint mean to be nasty but why provoke ill feeling on a thread that should not concern you if you do not want to go to Oz because it is boring etc etc.

My family are planning to go to Mount Eliza, Mornington area, my family are all over Oz but I am close to my Aunt and cousins based in Melbourne (Waragull and Mornington). My Uncle lived in Brisbane until recently , he has just moved to Hervey Bay but my cousin still lives in Brisbane (there are no beaches there you have to travel up or down the coast to get a nice beach but the City is beautiful).

Sorry if I offended anyone but really there was no need for Assegai to post a statement like that,

Cheryl
Dont apologise Im with you, he was acting the eegit (Im Irish!)
My cousin got married near Mount Eliza last year and it looks beautiful, Im sure you will be very happy there.
With a bit of luck we may be able to afford a small house with no mortgage and my husband will get a job!! Im a hairdresser so will get a job but the wages are usually rubbish so I tend to have to work at night as the salary doesnt cover the childcare costs. Im going because Ive lived in the UK for 13 years and have had enough of bad weather and bad schools, and hope my kids who are very sporty will have more space and freedom. Checking my emails every 5 mins now to see if there is a visa grant letter in my inbox!!!
Louise
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I quite believe that they said that, but its hysterical

I would do your own research, Ive already quoted the wages carpet layers are getting in brisbane, not the UK television show wages Another interesting point, a search on seek.com brought up just 2 carpet layers jobs in brisbane, one was not even for work in brisbane. Theres a shortage? umm.

I'd be checking the australian job situation, it seems quite different from the UK television version
Here we all have polished floors. The last time I looked we still lived in QLD
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dont apologise Im with you, he was acting the eegit (Im Irish!)
My cousin got married near Mount Eliza last year and it looks beautiful, Im sure you will be very happy there.
With a bit of luck we may be able to afford a small house with no mortgage and my husband will get a job!! Im a hairdresser so will get a job but the wages are usually rubbish so I tend to have to work at night as the salary doesnt cover the childcare costs. Im going because Ive lived in the UK for 13 years and have had enough of bad weather and bad schools, and hope my kids who are very sporty will have more space and freedom. Checking my emails every 5 mins now to see if there is a visa grant letter in my inbox!!!
Louise

Louise they are open now and I hope you get your grant e-mail. I will be watching for your post. I have two children 8 and 11 and they have travelled around a fair bit as my husband is in the forces. They will find the move a doddle and I must say when you have lived in as many countries as we have this is not as daunting as it is for most people. I love Oz and luckily have family there. We are going because we have travelled and experienced life in many places and once you have done that it is hard to go back to something that offers no challenges or adventure (the only challenge being the fight to pay a huge mortgage etc.). My kids have been blessed with great education and lots of life experience and have never had such a great life as they did in Cyprus when they were outside for 11 months of the year in shorts and t-shirts, they were healthy and happy and are very sporty, they both sail and love tennis etc. Oz will offer the opportunity of following their outside sports although I do realise that Victoria does not offer the best weather however it feels familiar to the European life we love but different in its own way. Best of luck and I really hope you get that Visa this week,

Cheryl

Last edited by stevensfamily; Jan 28th 2007 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:47 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
.....iif any one is going to miss their football their traditional pubs the seasonal weather dont bother moving if you will miss all that s**t

and also if you think you will make life better if anyone out there are like the couple on wanted down under that were trying to patch their marage up, they chose adelaide the guy who wires up cables with the one daughter who pannicked about swimming with dolphins,it aint gonna work if it isnt working here it wont work there, why do people with relationship problems think moving to the other side will make it work!!!!any way lets hope tomorrows show is good and of interest.......... sorry for all the woffle
Sorry, but much of your post I found hard to read because there were no fullstops or capital letters, but I just wanted to ask whether you have ever been to Australia and if so, for how long?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched todays episode of WDU - what I can't get over is that they do not try and show the children (particularly the teenagers) what is on offer to them. Could they not visit a school for a day or two or meet people with same age kids and hang out so that they see what it could be like.

And I don't mean to be heartless but I find it difficult that these children have so much say in the decision making. I understand totally that they are frightened, they are leaving everything that the know and familiar with but how can they possibly imagine what their lives will be like after the move. They don't have the knowledge that we do about making new friends relatively easily etc.
I think the parents should assert themselves. My son is very worried and I try and reassure him that we will be doing this as a family, that there will be highs and lows but that we will be together through it. Ultimately me and my OH will make the decision that we think is best for the whole family - and also that we might get it wrong and if so we will rethink. My son would prefer to be with our family unit then his friends.
I moved a number of times as a child. I don't remember being consulted - we just had to get on with it and we did. Are kids getting too much say these days?

Anyway enough of the rant...sorry if I sound judgemental. I think I might be getting over WDU. I thought I would see more of Brisbane than we did and feel disappointed. Although it was good to have a look at the schools.
I would like to know if they will tell us how many actually did go...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.