Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC can help you relocate

BBC can help you relocate

Old Nov 20th 2002, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Brighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC can help you relocate

I work for an independent TV production company who are making a series for the BBC about families relocating abroad. We will sort (almost) everything out for the first month of your new life and if it turns out to not be what you'd hoped-we will even fly you home again.
If you are thinking of relocating down under between now and mid March we would like to here from you. Please call 020 7733 7333 or email [email protected] or visit www.brighter.co.uk for more details.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC can help you relocate

Originally posted by Brighter
I work for an independent TV production company who are making a series for the BBC about families relocating abroad. We will sort (almost) everything out for the first month of your new life and if it turns out to not be what you'd hoped-we will even fly you home again.
If you are thinking of relocating down under between now and mid March we would like to here from you. Please call 020 7733 7333 or email [email protected] or visit www.brighter.co.uk for more details.
how about doing a story on the immigrants who have been marrooned here-as so aptly said on BBC world the other day-seriously it could be fantastic in regards to shedding the truth about Australia-it immigration policy, its cruelty, its "culture" and how hard it has been to survive here(being an alien)
Old Dec 20th 2002, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: BBC can help you relocate

Originally posted by Brighter
One month is a joke... It would take far longer for any immigrant to settle in - or not as the case may be.

Who on earth do you think you will get to participate in this programme? I would suggest you will get people who are after a month's holiday in the sun - about all this country's good for...
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to start applying to desert the UK to emigrate to Australia and get married. I'm interested to read posts like this as they indicate that life down under may not be all it is cracked up to be!
I don't expect everything to be perfect, and certainly am not looking for an extended beach holiday, but maybe you could elaborate a bit on the reasons for being unhappy with life there? I'd like a realistic view of the future, not something seen through rose-tinted spectacles!
Old Dec 21st 2002, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm about to start applying to desert the UK to emigrate to Australia and get married. I'm interested to read posts like this as they indicate that life down under may not be all it is cracked up to be!
I don't expect everything to be perfect, and certainly am not looking for an extended beach holiday, but maybe you could elaborate a bit on the reasons for being unhappy with life there? I'd like a realistic view of the future, not something seen through rose-tinted spectacles!
Hi Pollyana,

Firstly, please don't let my posts put you off. It's not all bad!!! Emigrating is an extremely subjective thing, and what's right for one person/family will not be right for the next.

Unfortunately I came over with glasses which, whilst not being exactly rose-tinted, certainly had a sheen to them, based on all the hype Australia likes to use to promote itself, coupled with an extremely biased father-in-law whose family emigrated over here in the 60's and who had visited them a few times and reckoned it was heaven on earth...

Whilst I tried to evaluate all the pros and cons, and not just take his very biased opinion, it obviously had an effect, and sadly, a lot of what he and others said has turned out to be untrue.

Life is good for many who come over here - we may, in time, be amongst those. However, if you are looking to escape the UK for certain reasons (e.g. poor education standards, NHS in collapse, rising crime, housing situation etc. etc.) look VERY carefully into the area you wish to move to in Australia. It has all the problems of the UK, but the weather's nicer...

Read posts on this forum with care - some "negative" posters have very valuable advice - e.g. Bernard's advice on the education system - he's a teacher - those in certain professions who give their "insider" views on what it's like over here.

Come over and see for 6 months - rent out in the UK and rent here - immerse yourself into the Aussie culture, then make a decision. That's my advice for what it's worth. That way, if you love it, fine, stay. Sell the house in the UK and buy over here. If you don't, you'll have gained a very worthwhile experience and will be a different person for it.

If you're thinking seriously about emigrating, go ahead. You'll always wonder "what if" if you don't.