Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Wikiposts

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:16 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

For you city slickers who're interested and would like a bit of fun on a holiday:

From Adelaide: Aboriginal Cultural Tours - Yorke Peninsula - Adjahdura Land

From Melbourne: New tourism brochure to promote Aboriginal tourism

Anyone want to add a few?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:40 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
For you city slickers who're interested and would like a bit of fun on a holiday:

There's a tour by an Aboriginal in Perth too. Ask about it at the tourist bureau, I'll go try and find it later.

Mairi, thanks!

On a contraversial note I believe the church has done a lot of harm and does nothing now except continue the myth that Aboriginies need to be Europeanised.
Yep, don't know what they do now though.
The first aboriginal community we lived in, Bidyadanga/La Grange Mission, is now not a mission but an Aboriginal community. I believe the community now also owns the land they live on and surroundings.

It does not have to be all grand schemes. Just a "G'day" and a nod or a smile is a good start.
Yes, a very good start!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:43 pm
WBB

Originally posted by renth
Good on you Simone.

Sadly, for every one like you arriving there's 10 WBBs who don't give a flying *****.
why should i, the only Aborigines i met while travelling through australia were drunken bums, begging on street corners and harassing good folk, one even tried snatching at a ciggy that my missus was about to light up.........you need to have respect for yourself before you deserve any respect from me.

and like i said earlier we have never done anything to these people, the damage was done a long time ago by a different generation.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by WBB
why should i, the only Aborigines i met while travelling through australia were drunken bums, begging on street corners and harassing good folk, one even tried snatching at a ciggy that my missus was about to light up.........you need to have respect for yourself before you deserve any respect from me.

and like i said earlier we have never done anything to these people, the damage was done a long time ago by a different generation.
You don't have to like drunks or rioters. You have plenty to get on with just being an immigrant for the moment. When you're settled, have a wondering wander around an Aboriginal art exhibit or some such?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB

I like the way you cut straight to the heart of the issue.

Ever thought of taking up a position at the United Nations?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:49 pm
WBB

You don't have to like drunks or rioters. You have plenty to get on with just being an immigrant for the moment. When you're settled, have a wondering wander around an Aboriginal art exhibit or some such?
no doubt we will have a wander through some such display.

like i said before, respect works both ways.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:08 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by WBB

That is what most English think of the Welsh!

Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:16 pm
Goodpubmisser

I've got nothing against the Aborigenies, I just don't like their art.

There are are more part Aborigenies than you expect in Sydney. Many of them are very white looking but have heavy bone facial features.

I worked with a part Aboriginal guy for a couple of years and did not realize. Then one day one of the other people in my group was complaining about a female client who had requested that we "Send a woman".

I replied "Tell her we have an Aboriginal and can send him - same thing isn't it?". To this I heard loud laughter from my work mate who then said "How did you know?" and the story came out.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:26 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB

http://www.atsic.gov.au/News_Room/As...ct/myth6_4.asp
And read it all the way to the bottom!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

As regards the complaints of drunks and vagrants:

There's good and bad in every group of people.
I worked as a nurse in the NT and was shocked at the 3rd world conditions many lived in.
If same percentage of white people presented with the same health problems the place would be declared a disaster area and receive international relief.
I was lucky to visit some out stations/communities and found the people welcoming and hospitable.
Their language and culture is very interesting and I'm surprised it is shown little interest.
What's the solution?
I wish I knew.
Alcohol does seem to be a big factor.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:00 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I've (voluntarily) moved about between countries and cultures quite a bit in my life and know how difficult it can be.

I cant imagine being displaced against my will, have my family and friends support network severed through no choice of mine, made to live in an environment that is alien and incomprehensible to me, have no access to my religion (be it a church or traditional sacred lands) etc...... And on top of that to constantly have to put up with the "people" who have caused all this to happen to me, tell me I'm a lazy drunken bludger. (Note before anybody has a go, people is deliberately in inverted commas to signify a race of people ie. europeans, rather than individuals)

For me the wonder of it all is how well they actually have coped with the situation.

I think I (and probably quite a few others on this forum) wouldnt have coped quite as well, and would definately also have hit the bottle quite hard.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Captian Cook cruises
45 min cruise, 1 hour Aboriginal Heritage tour, cruise back with lunch buffet.
http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au...cruises_f.html

This one sounds better, and is much cheaper (but no lunch):

"Fremantle Aboriginal Heritage Walking Tour - hear the Aboriginal story of one of Fremantle's major landmarks, The Round House, learn its tragic impact on the local Nyoongar people and its connection with Rottnest Island, find out the Nyoongar's impressions of the arrival of the Europeans and how it affected their culture, learn how the Swan River is part of the Dreaming trail of the area, follow the story of Yagan, a respected Aboriginal warrior, who was the first to rebel against tthe treatment he received from the European settlers and was hunted down and killed. Tours on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, 11.30am to 12.30pm from the WA Maritime Museum, Cliff St, Fremantle. Cost AUD$15 per adult. Bookings essential at the WA Maritime Museum, Tel: 9431.8469. Take a train or 20 min taxi ride to Fremantle. "

And Yanchep NP (north of Perth) also has some interesting stuff about Aboriginal Heritage:
http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/national_p...onal_park.html
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I (and probably quite a few others on this forum) wouldnt have coped quite as well, and would definately also have hit the bottle quite hard. [/QUOTE]

Us Scots already have !
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:08 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Barbara 2003

Us Scots already have !

LOL Barbara, maybe thats why I enjoy Scotland so much.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
I've (voluntarily) moved about between countries and cultures quite a bit in my life and know how difficult it can be.

I cant imagine being displaced against my will, have my family and friends support network severed through no choice of mine, made to live in an environment that is alien and incomprehensible to me, have no access to my religion (be it a church or traditional sacred lands) etc...... And on top of that to constantly have to put up with the "people" who have caused all this to happen to me, tell me I'm a lazy drunken bludger. (Note before anybody has a go, people is deliberately in inverted commas to signify a race of people ie. europeans, rather than individuals)

For me the wonder of it all is how well they actually have coped with the situation.

I think I (and probably quite a few others on this forum) wouldnt have coped quite as well, and would definately also have hit the bottle quite hard.
Tottally agree....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.