Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Wikiposts

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
you causing trouble in the aus forum again stanton......seems you cant let go!
At least he has something to say on this subject, WBB! What's your opinion on the position of Aboriginals in Australia?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
you causing trouble in the aus forum again stanton......seems you cant let go!
WBB, you know me, I love to play 'spot the bigot'.

By the way, how are you?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:08 am
WBB

Originally posted by Simone82
At least he has something to say on this subject, WBB! What's your opinion on the position of Aboriginals in Australia?
to be honest i couldnt care less about the whole issue, something happened all them years before i was born and we are still made to feel guilty???? naaaa, not my scene.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:10 am
WBB

Originally posted by MikeStanton
WBB, you know me, I love to play 'spot the bigot'.

By the way, how are you?
.BIGOT

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

think germany mike.

keep thinking.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
to be honest i couldnt care less about the whole issue, something happened all them years before i was born and we are still made to feel guilty???? naaaa, not my scene.
Hmmm when were you born?
When I was 9 there was still a different room in the pub for them where we lived then...

And I'm quite sure there's still a lot 'happening' to them this day and age.

Don't know if it's about feeling guilty either, maybe more looking into the future as well?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:14 am
WBB

Hmmm when were you born?
When I was 9 there was still a different room in the pub for them where we lived then...

And I'm quite sure there's still a lot 'happening' to them this day and age.

Don't know if it's about feeling guilty either, maybe more looking into the future as well?
we have been here before......how far back do you want to go?

shall we make the jews apologise for killing jesus and then pay us loads of money so we can take them to court for robbing us of the messiah?

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by WBB
we have been here before......how far back do you want to go?

shall we make the jews apologise for killing jesus and then pay us loads of money so we can take them to court for robbing us of the messiah?

Hmmm. I thought I said something about 'this day and age'. To be clear, I meant the present!! Now!

And how far back? Well, just remember, when I was 9, it was 1991. I don't call that going back very far.....

There's far to many problems/issues in Oz right now, to just carry on and do nothing...
But I guess you'll see that when you get there...
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I thought I said something about 'this day and age'. To be clear, I meant the present!! Now!

And how far back? Well, just remember, when I was 9, it was 1991. I don't call that going back very far.....

There's far to many problems/issues in Oz right now, to just carry on and do nothing...
But I guess you'll see that when you get there...
You're obviously a lot more aware of this problem than, shall we say, some others.

More importantly, you seem to care enough to want to do something about it
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You're obviously a lot more aware of this problem than, shall we say, some others.

I am interested to know what action you took about the issue whilst here?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
I am interested to know what action you took about the issue whilst here?
Unfortunately, the usual "middle class" ineffectual things - went on the march etc. Spoke to some aborigines to get a better understanding of their issues. Nowhere near enough. My lack of action I've already acknowledged.

And yourself?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:14 am

Unfortunately, the usual "middle class" ineffectual things - went on the march etc. Spoke to some aborigines to get a better understanding of their issues. Nowhere near enough. My lack of action I've already acknowledged.

And yourself?
Nothing. As you say the marches are inneffectual and the only Aborigines I meet are smashed out of their brain. I was interested in what one could do.

My work offers a community help scheme which I have donated to but the volunteers they need have to be professionally qualified in a certain field (not IT). They send employees all over Australia to help out with the type of program that should be government driven.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Nothing. As you say the marches are inneffectual and the only Aborigines I meet are smashed out of their brain. I was interested in what one could do.

My work offers a community help scheme which I have donated to but the volunteers they need have to be professionally qualified in a certain field (not IT). They send employees all over Australia to help out with the type of program that should be government driven.
At least that's something. But, very unfortunately, until something like that is government-driven, it's never going to represent 'mainstream' Oz.

Given that terrorism is increasingly seen as a 'legitimate' way of settling scores, how long is it until this whole issue becomes Oz's IRA, ETA... ?

Last edited by MikeStanton; Mar 21st 2004 at 8:23 am.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:34 am

At least that's something. But, very unfortunately, until something like that is government-driven, it's never going to represent 'mainstream' Oz.

Given that terrorism is increasingly seen as a 'legitimate' way of settling scores, how long is it until this whole issue becomes Oz's IRA, ETA... ?
Are there rumbles of an armed stuggle?

As a political issue Aborigines are way down the list and the only way I see of helping the issue is to vote for politicians who see it as important. There is money spent on Aboriginal issues but due to politicking ATSIC seems inneffective.

I also have not heard anything from Latham on this issue. I don't think there is an intentional racism from Australia as a generalisation but there is an inaction and apathy that lets the politicians get away with the status quo.

We have talked previously about governments representing the people and I will re-iterate that the policies of those in power do not represent the will of the people. Elections tend to be decided on tax and how long it takes to be fed up with the current incumbents. Other issues are a side show.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:40 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Yeah, but what!!! :scared:

Firstly, I need to know MUCH more about it all. I know NOTHING, even though I do seem to know more than others....

I know that aboriginals were 'given' houses and stuff, but they're nomads originally, so they don't even want them(this was in a aboriginal community on north west WA) They used the houses a bit, but not much... On the electric or gas cookers/stoves/ovens they made fires....
Children at school? Yes, but if there was something happening in another community, they'd be off with there families for days/weeks (nomads)
These were people that only lived in the 'bush' 20 years ago.(now about 30 years, cos it was 1991)
Btw, I heard today from my parents (they'd just watched Rabbit Proof fence) that the people of Nullagine had lots of family in Jigalong, the place in the book/film, so they went there often, and vice versa.

What I keep thinking: WHY, was my father, with only experience as a builder, and 10 months as a builder instructor in an aboriginal community, given the job as coordinator for ATSIC of an aboriginal community!!
Well, I guess they didn't have any other choice, and my dad was willing, is a good person, and had a tiny bit of experience...
But think about it, wouldn't it have been much better for an aboriginal themself to do it ( I remember that later on there was a more 'western' aboriginal lady who became recreation officer, and her husband was also 'western'. I think they came from Perth, but not sure what his job was, hmmm, another question for my parents!

Of course(!?) my dad and family didn't survive long in Nullagine. We didn't fit in, not with the aboriginals(totally different culture) and not with the 'white' Australians of the town, who were racist(not all), and as my dad was working for ATSIC....., and us kids played with the aboriginals all the time....
AND, of course, we were still Dutch, which made us different again...
There were big problems with alcohol of course too... since then, my dad is practically a tee totaller, he's seen the damage that can be done

All I can say now, is that I think the government should apologise, and something at least has to be sorted out about the landrights. But I don't really know how everything is arranged now, so I have a lot of reading up to do
When I get to Perth, I'll see if there's other ways I can do something, though at the moment I wouldn't know what, except voting for the right people(?), keep reading, learning, speaking out...
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Are there rumbles of an armed stuggle?

...I don't think there is an intentional racism from Australia as a generalisation but there is an inaction and apathy that lets the politicians get away with the status quo.

We have talked previously about governments representing the people and I will re-iterate that the policies of those in power do not represent the will of the people.
All parties have major policies that they see as vote winners. Eg traditionally, it is Liberal = lower taxes than Labour. I would like to think that you are correct that Aussies are not, in general, intentionally racist.

However, politicians are canny. Generally, I would agree with your comment on governments not representing the people, but disagree where major platfrom issues are concerned.

If political parties thought that fixing the Aboriginal issue was felt strongly by a large number of Aussies, I strongly believe it would be a core component of a political party's campaign. The fact that it isn't a major issue indicates to me that most Aussies don't care, or don't care enough. Either way, the message is likely to be received by Aborigines as "White Oz doesn't care."

On the armed struggle front, the answer is "who knows?"

We both know that terrorism rises-up from those that feel powerless to change - using legitimate, legal mechanisms - what they see as a grave injustice. This can result in a "what have we got to lose?" mentality.

History teaches us that the right charismatic leader at the right time can focus this despair into revenge. Add the funding provided by groups with other agendas, like Al-Queda, and you've got a potent recipe.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Mar 21st 2004 at 8:53 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.