Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Wikiposts

BBC blast for 'white' Australia

Old Mar 20th 2004, 5:31 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Aborigines in the remote Northern Territory gained land rights in 1976 after a long struggle, but Aborigines in the rest of the country are still fighting for land rights.

Is Oz the new South Africa?
Perhaps Reuters might like someone to read the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Rights Act to them?

Here's a synopsis:
THE ABORIGINAL LAND RIGHTS ACT 1983

Mike Stanton - the Cecil Rhodes never-gunna-be:
Cecil Rhodes
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
Is the UK the new South Africa? What about that documentary
'The secret Policeman' that was shown in Australia and around the world about a reporter who joined the Manchester Police force which exposed institutional racism in the force.
What about the Oldham race riots, Stephep Lawrence and the
fact that 1 in 100 black people in the Uk are in prison.
You're implication is correct - it's appalling. But it doesn't make it similar to South Africa.

As usual, the Aussies beat the Brits [black] hands down.

Deaths in custody? In Oz = highest in the western world. It's so high, even the United Nations got involved.

It's good to see Oz cares so much about tackling the problem: Deaths in custody: recommendations ignored

Number of Aborigines in prison? 1481 per 100,000. Or 1.48 per 100 people, ie nearly 50% higher than UK.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:23 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

An Australian channel? Somehow, I don't think we would be getting a balanced view.

The BBC is respected world-wide (if not by Blair).

What are you afraid of - the truth?
Ha ha! I'm afraid you've jumped to conclusions.

I know the truth, I've experienced it (btw, I also know it's not all bad, there's plenty of Aboriginals who are doing 'well' etc, but that's not the majority)

I meant that if the SAME documentry was made by for example the ABC, Australians might take more notice, and at least it would be good if Australia realised these things by itself...

Anyway, we don't know if this view is balanced yet, as we haven't seen it.....
It doesn't sound like they're showing the side/examples of where it has gone right.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with the Aborigines is that they have made no effort whatsoever to integrate into Australian society.
I know that sounds harsh although im being general here some Abos have made an effort to ''blend in''. But most havent.
All they ever do is moan all the time about evil whitey take my land, evil whiteys get into university more than we do etc...
The reason they seem under-represented is because there arent that many of them!!
Of course more White people are going to get in universitys than Abos. Its when you start giving Quotos to get Abos in that the real rascism and discrimination begins.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dude,

I am half black, though not aboriginal, but American. As a person of color, I am interested in your idea of blending in?

I am an extremely friendly person and I usually blend in well wherever I go, but I must admit that Sydney is a tough crowd....

There are also little, subtle passive-aggressive behaviors that I've noticed in the "white" Aussie public toward racial minorities esp. Abos.

In public transport systems whenever a black person sits on a chair how many times will you see a white Aussie person seat several feet away because of the "blackness will rub off of them and make 'em dirty?" When shopping in a store, how many attendants will keep a suspicious watchful eye on the black youth? How many people do you see clutching their handbags and wallets whenever they pass near a racial minority? How about a minority shopping in a wealthy precinct being warned that an item is too expensive, as if to assume that the minority cannot afford an expensive item?

How about at work....Giving minority a mediocre task because "I am not sure this minority can handle a complicated task because the minority cannot possibly comprehend the complexity?"

Guys, I've seen all this stuff happen, some of it has happened to me ....You may not have come across because it may not have happened to you unless you have been on the receiving end. So please, I recommend more empathy because it does happen to racial minorities and it is degrading and heart wrenching to some of the minorities; I, too have experienced some racism so I know how badly it feels.....So many try hard to succeed, but often times with all those odds against them, they lose hope in changes and a better society.....

I think Australia has a long way to go....I really feel badly for the Aborigines who are treated as second class citizens in their own country. I know that whatever racial discrimination I have experienced is not nearly half as bad as what Aborigines experience.

Last edited by Ansy; Mar 21st 2004 at 1:44 am.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by VanishingDragon
The problem with the Aborigines is that they have made no effort whatsoever to integrate into Australian society.
Why should they be forced to live a western way of life? It's not in their tradition. Why expect them to adopt YOUR lifestyle?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point.....
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Oz now for 6 months and have only seen 3 natives work, and they seemed very happy at what they were doing (mind you one, Luke, was on fire watch while I was welding a trawler. My shirt caught fire and I started running around desperatly trying to put myself out. When I did he was pissing himself laughing, but the trawler was fine.)

But in the Uk I lived in areas of high unemployment and could see the destructive influence of the benifit culture. Since coming here I've seen it all over again.

Constantly they are told that it's their right, it was stolen from them, its not their fault etc..

The namby pamby brigade have set them up for a fall.

There is a commission that helps them fight for "land rights" through legal channels. Last month this commission had expended $600,000,000 ($0.6 billion) in legal fights in 3 years and asked the government for more money so they could carry on fighting for their rights.

The Aborigional and tores Island straits commission has a budget of $1.2 billion ( I think) each year.

Has this made any difference to the overall native people? are they better off? I dont think they are.

All this money is wasted and it only enforces their opinion that they are hard done by.

Until they are not subdivided and put on a pedestal, as how we should live in harmony with nature, they will never benefit from the society that they now belong to.

The only people who gain by the standoff that now dominates this situation are the lawyers and commision flunkies.

So no wonder the "whites" feel antagonistic toward these scrounging, bleating bludgers.

Keel
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Why should they be forced to live a western way of life? It's not in their tradition. Why expect them to adopt YOUR lifestyle?
I never said anything about ''forcing'' anyone. They should have to work and earn a living same as everyone else. Abide by the law same as everyone else...but they dont.
A lot of them are pretty happy to just sit back and watch the welfare check come in each month.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Ha ha! I'm afraid you've jumped to conclusions.
Strange, I thought my post finished with a question, not a conclusion
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, I thought my post finished with a question, not a conclusion
hmmm, ok. Though it did seem as if you already thought you knew what I was thinking, looking at your other comments...
My apologies, I should've made myself clearer in the original post...
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by VanishingDragon
I never said anything about ''forcing'' anyone. They should have to work and earn a living same as everyone else. Abide by the law same as everyone else...but they dont.
A lot of them are pretty happy to just sit back and watch the welfare check come in each month.
Abide by the same law? You mean the law that was imposed upon them by the Brits and then the Aussies. Our law, not theirs.

Re:the comments on welfare checks. So what are you implying? That the whole thing is a scam by Aborigines to freeload off us whities?

Do tell us more.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:56 am
WBB

Abide by the same law? You mean the law that was imposed upon them by the Brits and then the Aussies. Our law, not theirs.

Re:the comments on welfare checks. So what are you implying? That the whole thing is a scam by Aborigines to freeload off us whities?

Do tell us more.
you causing trouble in the aus forum again stanton......seems you cant let go!

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by keel
I've been in Oz now for 6 months and have only seen 3 natives work, and they seemed very happy at what they were doing (mind you one, Luke, was on fire watch while I was welding a trawler. My shirt caught fire and I started running around desperatly trying to put myself out. When I did he was pissing himself laughing, but the trawler was fine.)

But in the Uk I lived in areas of high unemployment and could see the destructive influence of the benifit culture. Since coming here I've seen it all over again.

Constantly they are told that it's their right, it was stolen from them, its not their fault etc..

The namby pamby brigade have set them up for a fall.

There is a commission that helps them fight for "land rights" through legal channels. Last month this commission had expended $600,000,000 ($0.6 billion) in legal fights in 3 years and asked the government for more money so they could carry on fighting for their rights.

The Aborigional and tores Island straits commission has a budget of $1.2 billion ( I think) each year.

Has this made any difference to the overall native people? are they better off? I dont think they are.

All this money is wasted and it only enforces their opinion that they are hard done by.

Until they are not subdivided and put on a pedestal, as how we should live in harmony with nature, they will never benefit from the society that they now belong to.

The only people who gain by the standoff that now dominates this situation are the lawyers and commision flunkies.

So no wonder the "whites" feel antagonistic toward these scrounging, bleating bludgers.

Keel
Is the "benefit culture" the main reason for Aborigines' problems?

You don't think that disposession, genocide and racism might have something to do with it? Where, exactly in the UK, is there a similar situation?

Aborigines on a pedastal? That must have been when the Oz PM refused to apologise to them for the stolen generation. Or was it when the United Nations revealed that their life expectancy was 20 years+ less than non-indigenous Australians? Or was it the third world diseases they suffer from? Let me know if I'm getting warm...

Harmony with nature? Aboriginal people have a special relationship with the land, they see themselves as caretakers. Whereas many big corporates see it as a mine or as a forest to be felled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.