Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC article: Australia targets British workers

BBC article: Australia targets British workers

Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default BBC article: Australia targets British workers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6949380.stm
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:12 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC article: Australia targets British workers

Originally Posted by M_and_J
yes i too saw this. sounds good. the increase in migrations at the bottom of the article raised an eye brow too.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It was interesting - particularly this bit ...
Andrew James of the Emigration Group, which helps English-speaking people move to Australia and New Zealand, told BBC News: "Australia is looking to tailor the policy to suit their needs. "That means trying to attract people away from the obvious places, like Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and trying to direct them to what they call the regions, which doesn't mean living in the back of nowhere."
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the sooner your average British immigrant to this country realises that living in one of the big five coastal cities is not the be-all and end-all of Australian life, the better.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

digger76 has a brilliant futuredigger76 has a brilliant futuredigger76 has a brilliant futuredigger76 has a brilliant futuredigger76 has a brilliant futuredigger76 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
It was interesting - particularly this bit ...
Andrew James of the Emigration Group, which helps English-speaking people move to Australia and New Zealand, told BBC News: "Australia is looking to tailor the policy to suit their needs. "That means trying to attract people away from the obvious places, like Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and trying to direct them to what they call the regions, which doesn't mean living in the back of nowhere."
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the sooner your average British immigrant to this country realises that living in one of the big five coastal cities is not the be-all and end-all of Australian life, the better.
"A total of 120 points is enough to fast-track a move to Australia under the country's immigration system, which awards points for factors such as youth, ability to speak languages, skills and experience."

Fast track - my arse!!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:40 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by digger76
"A total of 120 points is enough to fast-track a move to Australia under the country's immigration system, which awards points for factors such as youth, ability to speak languages, skills and experience."

Fast track - my arse!!
lol indeed digger! how slow is the slow track then?!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

They make it sound like a walk in the park.
I think a few people will be in for a surprise.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottyboy
They make it sound like a walk in the park.
I think a few people will be in for a surprise.
Especially tradies, who will face 'red tape' galore
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the sooner your average British immigrant to this country realises that living in one of the big five coastal cities is not the be-all and end-all of Australian life, the better

We have to start some where.... the reason we are heading to Perth is because that is where my sponsor and my work is.... If they have a branch anywhere on the western side... I'm happy to be moved once I get there... I hate cities and I hate city living.... so will be living as far away from Perth as I can commute and afford as soon as I can

I don't really want coastal at all... that's my OH... as far as I can see, the ocean is wet and full of dangerous things.... give me dry land and things I can beat over the head with a shovel any day

If a small hospital in the middle of no where had offered me the same terms and conditions I would have gone to them .... and not one of the five biggies... but they didn't ...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eddie007
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the sooner your average British immigrant to this country realises that living in one of the big five coastal cities is not the be-all and end-all of Australian life, the better

We have to start some where.... the reason we are heading to Perth is because that is where my sponsor and my work is.... If they have a branch anywhere on the western side... I'm happy to be moved once I get there... I hate cities and I hate city living.... so will be living as far away from Perth as I can commute and afford as soon as I can

I don't really want coastal at all... that's my OH... as far as I can see, the ocean is wet and full of dangerous things.... give me dry land and things I can beat over the head with a shovel any day

If a small hospital in the middle of no where had offered me the same terms and conditions I would have gone to them .... and not one of the five biggies... but they didn't ...
try kalgoorlie
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:45 pm
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice

90% of Aussies live near the coast and few of them ever venture into the outback for good reason, because the other 10% that live in the outback are mad redneck axe killers like that guy in Wolf Creek.

Last edited by ozlord; Aug 17th 2007 at 3:52 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirrane
try kalgoorlie
Is that a reasonable commute to my job in Perth?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:00 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a reasonable commute to my job in Perth?
If it pays enough for the LearJet...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Especially tradies, who will face 'red tape' galore
Beat me too it!!
Oh yes can live in Aus. just dont expect to be able to work in the trade you are trained in too soon
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_J

"Australia is looking to tailor the policy to suit its needs" bet that means australias now well aware the last thing its crammed cities need are more people, hence the mention of rural..... Take Doctors and Dentists theres no way the cities need more the shortage for those professions is most seriously outback and remote. As with trades plenty in the cities cant get them outback.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:40 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
...As with trades plenty in the cities cant get them outback.
Can't find any fridgees here in Sydney...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.