Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bayside, Melbourne - what are the primary schools like?

Bayside, Melbourne - what are the primary schools like?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

longhaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bayside, Melbourne - what are the primary schools like?

My first post. Have just returned from Melbourne and saw loads of suburbs. Now we hope to move over before Xmas (visas in place etc).

We really liked Bayside and wondered if anyone had comments about the primary schools as that will probably drive our choice of rental??
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bayside, Melbourne - what are the primary schools like?

Originally Posted by longhaul
My first post. Have just returned from Melbourne and saw loads of suburbs. Now we hope to move over before Xmas (visas in place etc).

We really liked Bayside and wondered if anyone had comments about the primary schools as that will probably drive our choice of rental??
Hi - whereabouts in Bayside will you be? Its a big area and to be honest it has a lot of great primary schools. Do you mean in the Bayside council area or do you mean just "by the bay" in general. If you could narrow it down it would help. Oh, and also do you want state school, catholic school or fee-paying?

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Bayside, Melbourne - what are the primary schools like?

Thanks. Sorry to be vague but am still a bit vague about the whole Bayside area. I was thinking probably the suburbs of Hampton, Sandringham, Beaumaris, Elwood etc maybe even as far as Frankston (though this seemed a long way out). To be honest the school might drive the choice.

Re school - we can go private or state. I guess I am looking for a friendly, villagey school feel (like the UK) with strong academic record where our children can get to know local children and make friends. We aren't Cathloics so not sure if we can go to Catholic School.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Sorry to be vague but am still a bit vague about the whole Bayside area. I was thinking probably the suburbs of Hampton, Sandringham, Beaumaris, Elwood etc maybe even as far as Frankston (though this seemed a long way out). To be honest the school might drive the choice.

Re school - we can go private or state. I guess I am looking for a friendly, villagey school feel (like the UK) with strong academic record where our children can get to know local children and make friends. We aren't Cathloics so not sure if we can go to Catholic School.
OK well you're describing a vast area there encompassing some of Melbourne's most expensive suburbs (Brighton, Hampton, Elwood) to some of Melbourne's cheapest (Seaford, Frankston). We live in the middle of that lot in an area called Mordialloc which is a great family area. It has excellent state schools such as Parkdale Primary and Parktone Primary, excellent catholic schools such as St John Vianneys and St Bridgets and excellent private schools such as Mentone Grammar.

You say the school might drive your choice but given the vast area you're looking at I reckon your housing budget might drive your choice as what would cost $300,000 in Frankston might well cost $3,000,000 in Brighton!

There's a website called myschool which gives things like school league tables but I reckon it doesn't give the whole picture of how "good" a school is.

I hope that helps.

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Buzzy - will have a look. But like you say, school stats are really only half the story. I think some schools have a good feel and others not - which is why I thought I'd post here.

I think we will be renting and I expect it will be in the more expensive suburbs (I think Hampton was top of my list and Beaumaris top of my DH) as we really like them. Didn't realise Frankston was loads cheaper. Is that because it is so far from the city?

I don't think we looked at Mordialloc. Is it a place to consider in your opinion?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Thanks Buzzy - will have a look. But like you say, school stats are really only half the story. I think some schools have a good feel and others not - which is why I thought I'd post here.

I think we will be renting and I expect it will be in the more expensive suburbs (I think Hampton was top of my list and Beaumaris top of my DH) as we really like them. Didn't realise Frankston was loads cheaper. Is that because it is so far from the city?

I don't think we looked at Mordialloc. Is it a place to consider in your opinion?
Frankston is loads cheaper not only because it is 50km from the city but also because it is not considered to be a very nice area.

Hampton is one of the most expensive areas of Melbourne. Beaumaris is pretty pricey too. If you have daughters and you live in Beaumaris you are in the zone for Mentone girls Secondary College which is one of the better state schools. Hampton is on a train line whereas Beaumaris is not. If you want to live near Beaumaris and need a train then consider Mentone.

Mordialloc is also a nice area - its just a littel bit further out so a bit more affordable.

BB
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We've been in Beaumaris for 6 years, very happy here as its a great suburb. Downside is that it has no train line so you would need to drive into the CBD (if that's where work is) or to local train station (Sandringham or Cheltenham - about 8 and 6 mins respectively). On the positive side, the lack of train line means its quieter.

As for primary schools, we have an 8 year old son at the local primary school (Beaumaris) and we just moved our 11 year old daughter from Beaumaris to a private school, St Leonards (which we think is fantastic).

We have friends in Brighton, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock and Beaumaris. All are happy with the schools and to be honest I don't think there is a great deal to choose between them. Facilities and standards are good. These are all excellent, affluent areas and (as Buzzy says) are certainly not cheap to rent or buy. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them - certainly no one school seems to stand out more than others.

The schools are different from the UK. Much more energy spent on developing 'life skills'. Less about reading, writing and homework and more on social skills, sport, swimming, social awareness and confidence building. Our kids thrived for the first few years but we also became a little disappointed in the last year or so that the kids weren't being pushed more and homework is seen almost as optional - hence why we moved our daughter to a private school.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any more info on Beauy or surrounding areas.

Good luck.
Col
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's really useful info. Because we will eventually return to the UK I am concerned about getting a good academic school. I have two primary age boys by the way. So do you think that state schools on the whole are not as 'academic' as UK ones?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's really useful info. Because we will eventually return to the UK I am concerned about getting a good academic school. I have two primary age boys by the way. So do you think that state schools on the whole are not as 'academic' as UK ones?
Hi,

Aus schools vs UK schools ?! A subject often debated here...!

In the first few years we were very happy. Our daughter, aged 5 at the time, skipped prep and did the last term of Grade One. My son had a year or so of Kinder then into Prep, then Grade One.

Both kids had been relatively shy in the UK so the approach to building confidence and developing life skills was valuable to us. As the years have passed we've grown frustrated at the laid back approach and lack of homework. I wish the kids were pushed a little more.

At the private school my daughter is set very strict standards for dress, appearance and home work. Missing homework is simply not an option. In the space of a few weeks she has become more responsible and has a new approach to school.

In our opinion the state schools here are certainly less academic than the UK - but that doesn't mean its a bad thing though, I guess it depends on the child and the school ! We're happy leaving our 8 year old in state school and will move him to private in a couple of years. Most of our friends will do the same - state primary in early years, then private when it starts to count.

If you are absolutely certain you are only here for a few years (most people say that !) you may want to consider private schools, depends obviously on the age of your kids and if you can afford the fees - expect around $20k per year per kid.

Hope that helps.
Col