Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bayside Bris..what is there for older kids to do 12 and 14?

Bayside Bris..what is there for older kids to do 12 and 14?

Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all
Default Bayside Bris..what is there for older kids to do 12 and 14?

We are contemplating a move from the Gold Coast to Cleveland as hubby has secured a job in Brisbane. We have looked at the bayside area as we need to be near the water. We hail from Tassie originally so are used to having water all around us.

Our 2 kids are 12 and 14 and Im a little worried that they may find it a bit too quiet. What do kids this age do in Cleveland? Are there skate parks, we havent seen any. I know there is the aquatic centre there, albeit a small one.

We dont want to move the kids only to have them bored silly. They both love sport, son AFL and daughter Soccer and Basketball. But what about outside sport. What do the local kids do, spend time pursuing water sports maybe? Boating, jet skis?

We think Cleveland High seems fine and that is where we would enrol them.

Any info from those in the know or who have kids around the ages of ours and who live Bayside, any info would be appreciated.

We so dont want to make a wrong move.......

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all
Default Re: Bayside Bris..what is there for older kids to do 12 and 14?

Isnt there anyone living in bayside Brissie with pre teens and/or teens that can shed some light on this for us?........please
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't comment much as my kids are really little.

But I believe there's a skate park in Capalaba, which would be about 15-20 minutes from Cleveland. I did a quick look and found this:

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Corp/R...kate+parks.htm

So it looks like there's quite a few skate parks actually.

I believe there's lots of sports to get involved in. I'm just waiting until my kids are old enough to do it!

You can have a look here and you might find some info.

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/CRC/Ca...Organisations/
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:56 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
We are contemplating a move from the Gold Coast to Cleveland as hubby has secured a job in Brisbane. We have looked at the bayside area as we need to be near the water. We hail from Tassie originally so are used to having water all around us.

Our 2 kids are 12 and 14 and Im a little worried that they may find it a bit too quiet. What do kids this age do in Cleveland? Are there skate parks, we havent seen any. I know there is the aquatic centre there, albeit a small one.

We dont want to move the kids only to have them bored silly. They both love sport, son AFL and daughter Soccer and Basketball. But what about outside sport. What do the local kids do, spend time pursuing water sports maybe? Boating, jet skis?

We think Cleveland High seems fine and that is where we would enrol them.

Any info from those in the know or who have kids around the ages of ours and who live Bayside, any info would be appreciated.

We so dont want to make a wrong move.......

Thanks in advance
Hi no teens but friends of ours have some in year 8 and 9 at Wellington Point High. On the train line so can go exploring when the need takes them. Fishing spots, basketball, league etc I believe about the area. Try a PM to Shortlets. It's her kids I''m on about.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Bayside Bris..what is there for older kids to do 12 and 14?

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. comet555 the links were great and I feel there may be a lot more about than first thought.

The decision to uproot the kids again in less than a year isnt to be taken lightly and we are so worried we will make the wrong move and find Cleveland to be the wrong area for us.

Oh dear, I hate this!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:26 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget all the big theme parks on the gold coast. We're about 40 minutes from Dreamworld where we are in Capalaba. It could be a little bit more from Cleveland, but it's not exactly a place you go everyday anyhow.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Coming from the Gold Coast we have done the theme park thing and the kids have been a bit with their friends. Annual passes are a big thing with a lot of kids here, almost a neccesity it seems!!, they all have one! So the kids have been a bit and the novelty seems to have worn off a bit, mind you they would never refuse an invite to one of the parks if offered.

But the parks, as you pointed out, are still within very reasonable commute time from the bayside area so thats a good point to make to them when we discuss the move with them again.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

We went with the 2 year Dreamworld/Whitewater World pass. That way we get both parks! My kids love it even though they're only 1.5 and 4 years old. I think they're too young to get bored of it though. But I like being able to do both parks.

I think there's also a pass with Movie World, Seaworld and Wet n' Wild. So that could provide some variety. I've never really looked into it though.