Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baths are a waste of space in Oz homes

Baths are a waste of space in Oz homes

Old May 15th 2006, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Baths are a waste of space in Oz homes

Why do Australian homes have gnome sized baths. I was reading how Aussies take the Mick out of Poms for not bathing, well it's hardly surprising that we dont down here is it?! Have you seen the size of baths fitted in Australian homes. They're comical. You could bath your just your legs, or if you prefer your upper torso so long as you dont mind your legs pointing up at the ceiling.

Because the baths here are useless for bathing adults why are they fitted? Is it just for children or perhaps the dog?
Old May 15th 2006, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baths are a waste of space in Oz homes

Originally Posted by migrantoz
Why do Australian homes have gnome sized baths. I was reading how Aussies take the Mick out of Poms for not bathing, well it's hardly surprising that we dont down here is it?! Have you seen the size of baths fitted in Australian homes. They're comical. You could bath your just your legs, or if you prefer your upper torso so long as you dont mind your legs pointing up at the ceiling.

Because the baths here are useless for bathing adults why are they fitted? Is it just for children or perhaps the dog?

Thats pretty much it. Aussies generally are more 'shower' people and if people like a bath, they put in spa baths generally into ensuites.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:06 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Thats pretty much it. Aussies generally are more 'shower' people and if people like a bath, they put in spa baths generally into ensuites.
Agreed, most adults shower, if they have a bath in a bathroom, its often just for the kids, especially in your average run of the mill house (3 bed,1 bath type of place).
Old May 15th 2006, 3:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Baths are a waste of space in Oz homes

I've noticed no difference in the size of baths since coming over to the UK.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:19 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Oh tiny baths don't get me going!!! I've looked at 2 houses in the last week with NO baths!

1st one had 5 bedrooms and was huge. mentioned to the real estate co. this and they sent me to another ... again no bath "had an outdoor jacuzzi so thought we could compromise"

I generally shower but every so often a long soak, candles burning, glass of red and a book is bliss

I miss it so much that we are staying in the city this week (opening premier of Divinci Code - can't wait!) and we are paying extra for a double spa room just to make up for the tiny bath back home LOL!!

LJJ
Old May 15th 2006, 3:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It is bizarre. We have two showers - and very very good they are too. In the girls bathroom there is a bath - well my 11 year old would have trouble getting a good soak in it Never used it. I am a shower person but hubby does like a long hot bath when knackered. - not a hope - it's a pain in the neck because it just gets dusty so still needs cleaning even though no one uses it
Old May 15th 2006, 3:40 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

The bath in this rental is just as big as the one in the UK. I'm 5'10" and can lie back in it to relax. V comfy.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:52 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iPom
The bath in this rental is just as big as the one in the UK. I'm 5'10" and can lie back in it to relax. V comfy.
With your dog?
Old May 15th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
With your dog?

With my dog? Good grief, no.

My cat.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quite happy with the size of my bath - fits me, 3 ducks & a frog, space at the end for a wine bottle and nice size to lie back and read
I have to admit we had a bit of trouble finding a place to rent that has a bath, most places are only showers. My eternally troublesome skin needs a bath to soak in, it hates showers, and nothing beats a long warm soak. Same size and depth as the one in my flat back in the UK, too.

(hey, theres something wrong with this post! I'm not whinging!! )
Old May 15th 2006, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I disagree, the bath in the last place we rented was enormous. I took ages and loads of water to fill up. The one we have now isn't very big but it's far more sensible. But if this is a true generalisation, it may have to do with saving water.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

How do you people solve the problem of soggy pages?

I've never had a bath in the 4 years since I've been in Australia, apart from when Chief wants me to get with her. We're not huge people and its hard enough.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:47 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

From where I come from, 4 bedroom house is always with at least 2 attached bathrooms + 1 for visitors + sometimes 1 for servants. It’s very strange for me to understand the 4 bedroom with 1 or 2 bathrooms concept. Let me figure this out once I migrate. Is it costly to own a bathroom in Australia?
Old May 15th 2006, 4:48 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
How do you people solve the problem of soggy pages?
You can get these waterproof ones usually in the kids section, "See Spot Run" and "Where's Spot?" are my favs.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:52 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
, it may have to do with saving water.
one rental place we looked had no bath, but did have a shower tray that the agent thought we could use as a bath and snapped that Sydney has a water shortage and I should not be having baths. Told her that I need a soak when I get to 8mths pregnant - needless to say we are not renting that property nor with that agent.

btw the bath here is 165cm compared to standard size of 170cm in UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.