Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bassinets on emirates flights

bassinets on emirates flights

Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

justinehelen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bassinets on emirates flights

Our little boy will be 18 months old when we fly to Brisbane in August. We have paid for a seat for him on the flight but have also requested a bassinet. Does anybody know if he will definitely get a bassinet at his age? Are children allowed to sleep on the floor? Any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:51 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bassinets on emirates flights

Originally Posted by justinehelen
Our little boy will be 18 months old when we fly to Brisbane in August. We have paid for a seat for him on the flight but have also requested a bassinet. Does anybody know if he will definitely get a bassinet at his age? Are children allowed to sleep on the floor? Any help gratefully received.
sleep on the floor? I guess not as they needa get the trolleys up and down for food but maybe im missing something
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:54 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

if you still have bulkhead seats i have seen kids before go to sleep on the floor there ...with jonah we sat him between us and lifted the arm rests and let him go to sleep across the seat and his legs on steves lap
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:55 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sleeping on the floor is a no-no - its a safety thing as you can't wear a belt if you are asleep on the floor.....think of what can happen when turbulence hits.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

We made a little bed on the floor when we sat in the bassinet seats - we had one in a bassinet and one on the floor (one baby and one 2 year old at the time). The only problem is when there is turbulence. You have to take your child out of the bassinet if there is turbulence and put them on your lap with a seatbelt round and our child on the floor we had to pick up and put in his seat with his seatbelt round. And we had LOADS of turbulence. To be honest it would be easier if you could get them to sleep in their seat in the first place as ours weren't easygoing enough to be disturbed and then drift back off peacefully!!
Also, there is a weight restriction with the bassinets and they aren't very long - my baby was only 6 months when we travelled and she filled it but I think it's worth requesting one anyway as the seats you get are FAR better to sit in with a very young child like yours. I wouldn't hestitate to request a bassinet again whether we intend to use it or not because of the extra legroom for your child to play and wriggle in. And now I'll shut up as I'm not sure if it's the Shiraz talking or myself.....!!!!!!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:54 am

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

I'd be amazed if your 18 month old would fit in a bassinet, we flew to Dubai when our daughter was 10 months old and she struggled to fit lengthways and widthways, it resulted in a more restful sleep in our arms, tiring for us.

We then flew to South Africa when she was 18 months, we just paid for another seat, what a blessing that was, although still not ideal as she's quite an active sleeper... she nearly rolled off the seat a couple of times! Just make sure the seat belt is around your little boy when he falls asleep so that when the plane hits turbulence you won't have to disturb him.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

We flew with a 15 month old with Emirates and had a bassinet. The weight limit is 10kg but they are quite short. I was lucky becuase Ben is right on the 2nd centile so he was OK but most 18 month olds I know wouldn't fit. By requesting one thought you will get a bulkhead seat so will have more leg room and some space on the floor to make a bed which i did see others doing. As others have mentioned though in turbulence you would have to pick them up.

Hope this helps

Lucy