Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Basic differences between Aus and the UK

Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:01 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Basic differences between Aus and the UK

I'm sure half of this has already been said but could not resist a reply:

this is from MY point of view for what I experienced in the UK and now what I have experienced in Aussie (just as a disclaimer incase anyone takes what I say personally)

50 differences between AUS and the UK

1. Car servicing (AUS) - shorter service intervals - Outlander serviced at 15,000kms ($200) - Laguna serviced at 18,000 miles (£240)
2. Motorbike servicing intervals the same but half the price
3. Car Tax is called Rego
4. Compulsory Third Party Insurance on cars (AUS) - comprehensive optional - add the cost of them both together and works out just a bit cheaper than UK insurance (we lived in Lincoln UK and live in Port Macquarie NSW so did not have city loading in either country)
5. Companies (AUS) offer less online but they are getting there
6. Tax system easier to do online but it is compulsory to complete a tax return here - I only filled out a tax return in the UK once I went over the higher rate threshold
7. Petrol is cheaper (AUS) at max $1.50 per litre
8. VETs fees about the same as the UK (got an old dog on meds)
9. Food works out about the same - swings and roundabouts - some things cheaper some things more expensive - generally fruit and veg IN SEASON is much cheaper - mango's and tropical fruits VERY cheap but SPROUTS (ok ok so who wants sprouts) well they're not native to Aussie so they cost more as they're imported
10. Nuts and dried fruits - much much cheaper in Aussie
11. Over the counter meds cheaper in Aus - pack of 36 Neurofen $13.00 (£5)
12. Alcohol - can't get UK beers here - everything is light beer except where there are inindependentreweries - some in Townsville and Brisbane for example which are good - here in Port we have Little Brewing Company and they do good ales but have not been licenced for off-sales yet so have to hunt out the tavern which sells it. WINE - well all the AUS wines are about half the price of the imported value in the UK and are considered inferior - you know Jacobs Creek and that. There are hundreds of Aussie wines to choose from and often small vineyards on the doorstep which just sell to the public and are excellent. Generally alcohol is cheap although spirits about the same price as the UK.
13. AUS City pubs have a better feel than their small town counterparts which tend to be a bit like factory units or large social clubs with little atmosphere but they are getting there - say in the Hunter Valley and Mid Coast where some pubs actually have a pub feel about them.
14. AUS Computers are cheap - good spec can be had for $300 - Dells can be bought in shops!
15. AUS - mad on latest TVs which is strange cos the free to air channels are a wash out. Austar/Foxtel show lots of channels including a UK channel but for a price - we have not bothered as we're not in the house that much. Nine and Seven are the main channels (Prime and NBN) but there is SC10 (here in Port) and ABC (the BBC no advert equiv).
16. No TV licence fee
17. Water charges - about $40 per quarter but we have a rainwater tank which supplies three toilets and the laundry. (Except when we filled the pool - that Q cost us $200 but given the pool holds 65,000 litres of water I think it was still a bargain).
18. Water restrictions - depends on where you live - we are on LEVEL 1 which mean never wash a car on a hard standing area such as the drive - wash it on the grass and water the garden only on certain days of the week unless using water from the rainwater tank.
19. Phone - we have opted for free local and national calls as we have family in Sydney and the Mountains - costs $89 per month with international calls to none-internet users such as my mother at $5 per call for an hour (using telstra 0018).
20. Internet - we have Bigpond ADSL2 Liberty 12GB (any usage over that amount monthly slows the service but we've never got near the 12 yet). Service is FAST but drops out at least once a day for a few seconds. This costs us $89 per month and I can track the usage online to keep up to date on what I'm using. So far I've not gone over 4GB but the next cheapest option is 600 mb at $60 per month and the max option is for 60GB at $150 / month. We have a wireless router but there are lots of options for wireless as in plug in a receiver into the USB port and pic up wireless that way. I wanted to use 2 PCs and the playstation 3 and the Wii and the PSP using wireless which is why I chose a router option. Its a UK router and works without probs.
21. BOOKS are way more expensive in AUS. You can sometimes DOUBLE the UK list price on a paperback.
22. DVD (Blockbuster style) hire is $10 for 3 new releases.
23. Council Rates - we are charged $1700 per year for a 5 bedroom 700sq block which includes our three bins - red for landfill / green for garden / yellow for recycling.
24. Bacon is NOT the same quality in Aus. Chocolate is very different. Traditional mint sauce - you can find it in the English section of Coles sometimes otherwise its Mint Jelly and sweet.
25. Indian Curry Houses taste like Chicken Tonight - save your money and make your own you'll get more of a UK feel that way.
26. Chinese is also different but just as good.
27. Thai - well nothing is like Thailand 1 in Lincoln but they're possibly more authentic.
28. Supermarkets here are Coles and Woolworths
29. Music stores are Virgin and Sanity (same group as Virgin / HMV)
30. EB Games and GAME are the Aus gaming stores
31. Clothing stores are inindependentsn Port with some exceptions - most of them stock Chinese made stuff so quality is OK but nothing special
32. Thongs are flip-flops and made in all kinds of materials in more styles than you could ever have imagined - but don't try wearing them in hotel lounges or city pubs you won't get in
33. Shorts and t-shirts are the order of the day EVERYWHERE - city workers are expected to suit up and look smart
34. Cars hold very high second hand values and have zillions of miles on the clock - driving is terrible - they pull out on you and bash your pride and joy in car parks or anywhere you park - given that for most Aussies the cost of a car is like the next biggest purchase after the house ( with the exception of the boat) they don't give a toss about the vehicles so you WILL get back to the car and find its been scratched and bashed OFTEN
35. Wildlife - you see it EVERYWHERE in Aussie - can't remember when I saw anything other than cows / sheep / horses in the UK - except for roadkill that is
36. Port has OSPREYS - WOW
37. When it rains in NSW man it RAINS - it thunders down which is good for refilling tanks but generally in AUS there is a drought and the country works around this fact. At this time of year it is common for HAIL STONES the size of tennis balls. When buying car insurance make sure that HAIL DAMAGE is covered - I really mean this!
38. House insurance does not AUTOMATICALLY include FLOOD - so be aware of where you live and what the chances are for water damage - some parts of the Hastings River where we are, ARE prone to flood but its a personal call
39. Public transport out of the city is almost not even there. Yes trains do run up and down the east coast but possibly only twice a day. Buses are local and Greyhound (not used it so can't comment). Airports are all over the place and flying is generally cheap but watch for the extras such as paying in advance for luggage.
40. Medical is NOT free. There is a consultation fee for the doctor - we pay $15 per visit (which can be claimed back from private health insurance depending on the policy) as they bulk bill Medicare. Most other things such as blood tests and other tests / xrays and the like you'll get all or a portion of it back from Medicare - you just have to go in and claim it back. There is no FREE dentistry / or for things such as physio (unless its tagged to an emergency visit and part of the aftercare which you can claim back from private insurance if you have it). Most important is AMBULANCE cover as this is not a free service.
41. I no longer have to use a descaler on the kettle / iron / washing machine as Aus does not add lime to water - infact they are not recycling water so its as pure as possible which is a good AND bad thing long term
42. Post / Parcels is not delivered at weekends
43. A holiday in the SOUTH PACIFIC somewhere exotic such as Fiji, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tahiti is not only possible its CHEAP
44. Once you're in Aussie they don't want you to leave so getting a UK flight can cost twice as much as the UK to Aussie version
45. Loyalty cards are happening (FlyBuys from Coles / everyday Rewards from Woolworths / Velocity from Virgin) but the rewards take a LOT of points
46. Driving Licences have a maximum life of 5 years before you have to pay for a new one
47. The RTA is the equiv of the DVLA
48. There is no such thing as central heating / radiators or double glazing - reverse cycle air conditioning is the most popular way to heat up a cold Aussie house but it comes at a price (electricity costs)
49. There is no such thing as a hot water / cold water storage tank (where we live anyway) - water comes in under pressure and is delivered direct to the tap - hot water is stored in the hot water boiler (lots of variations of them)
50. The weather ................... 90% of the time it is sunny. Here in Port even mid winter the daytime temp did not drop below 20 (except for a couple of days when it got down to 16).

Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jellibaby
I'm sure half of this has already been said but could not resist a reply:

this is from MY point of view for what I experienced in the UK and now what I have experienced in Aussie (just as a disclaimer incase anyone takes what I say personally)

7. The RTA is the equiv of the DVLA
It is ???? http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/

I couldnt resist either

I have highlighted your bit that says "MY point of view", so that you understand I am not actually picking.

I just wanted to explain that there are differences between States here. The QLD RTA is actually the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Newbie_Aussie
Australia is far away from everywhere whereas UK is right in the middle of Europe
Now I am picking...

Manchester to Athens. Distance: 2640 km
Brisbane to Fiji. Distance: 2766 km

Australia is closer to New Zealand, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to Fiji, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to China, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to the beautiful Pacific Islands, than the UK is.

Australia is further away from Europe, and if that is a problem to anyone, please take it into account before migrating here

People should treat Australia as a continent, and treat each State as somewhere different, something like Europe.

In Europe you have a central European system, with individual states like UK, France, Germany etc, etc. People in one country often go on holidays in one of the other European areas.

In Australia we have a central Australian system, with individual states like NSW, QLD, WA etc etc. People in one State often go on holidays in one of the other Australian areas.

Think of it like that, instead of saying it is far away from everywhere. Which it isn't, unless of course your version of "everywhere" is only countries near the UK.

Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Now I am picking...

Manchester to Athens. Distance: 2640 km
Brisbane to Fiji. Distance: 2766 km

Australia is closer to New Zealand, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to Fiji, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to China, than the UK is.
Australia is closer to the beautiful Pacific Islands, than the UK is.

Australia is further away from Europe, and if that is a problem to anyone, please take it into account before migrating here

People should treat Australia as a continent, and treat each State as somewhere different, something like Europe.

In Europe you have a central European system, with individual states like UK, France, Germany etc, etc. People in one country often go on holidays in one of the other European areas.

In Australia we have a central Australian system, with individual states like NSW, QLD, WA etc etc. People in one State often go on holidays in one of the other Australian areas.

Think of it like that, instead of saying it is far away from everywhere. Which it isn't, unless of course your version of "everywhere" is only countries near the UK.
I knew there was a reason you'd been missed E. One of the most intelligent posts in donkeys.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:08 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I agree people can hardly complain Aus is far from anywhere when there are different places that they can visit outside of Aus. Also I agree if you move to Aus then expect not to go to Europe on hols. To be fair, although you can visit each state in Aus and each state has it's differences, at the end of the day they are all in Australia and are not that different.

It's not like Europe where the various countries are culturally diverse and very, very different and unique. One can't compare holidaying in Aus to anywhere in Europe. That doesn't mean to say Aus and the surrounding holiday destinations don't have their beauty in fact there are so many fantastic places to visit I would be surprised if anyone could fit them in in a lifetime - inside and outside Aus

As has been pointed out, if someone was to move to Aus and then complain it's not like they can pop over to Europe, then they'd be right. All the more reason not to move here in the first place if it matters

We can't compare holidays from UK with holidays from Aus as they would be different but that doesn't mean to say they are any the less. That's what most of us expect and have moved here for. The is no comparison - they're just different
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:52 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

For me the big differences are:

In UK I would often go to the 'town centre' and have a wander about the shops and meet a mate for lunch in a PUB

Here on a weekend I go to a mall (with AC) and wander around the shops and eat in a FOOD COURT.

I kinda miss pub lunches. You can go to the local 'hotel' but they tend to be souless in my area. Outside of Brisbane city there doesnt seem to be any smaller pubs like UK.

I find here meeting friends we tend to go out for coffee and cake, or to a movie or over to someones house for dinner/BBQ. In the UK for us, everything used to revolve around meeting at the local pub. Hardly EVER did dinner parties - here it's more common. I think for us we have alot more house for our buck than the UK. Never wanted to have people over to our tiny flat. Now for the same price and about 30 minutes closer to the city we have a nice townhouse and a courtyard and all that.

I miss the short trips to go over to Europe. Travelling via places is more expensive - well probably not now the exchange has gone crap again, but $300 for a return flight to Melbourne compared to going to Amsterdam. Obviously distance is a factor and I am happy that getting a cruise to several Pacific Islands is alot cheaper.

I commute more here. And public transport in Brisbane doesn't excit me. It's functional but needs alot more money spent to increase the number of trains and frequency.

I don't notice alot of difference in the driving. People annoy me the same. I have already learnt to slow things down a bit.

Despite it feeling like prices for things are about the same I can save ALOT more money here, and due to high interest rates get excited about the interest earnt each month.

Shopkeepers are friendlier everywhere - it seems customer service is still considered a vital skill to be able to work in that industry.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

I'm sure half of this has already been said but could not resist a reply

12. Alcohol - can't get UK beers here - everything is light beer except where there are inindependentreweries - some in Townsville and Brisbane for example which are good - here in Port we have Little Brewing Company and they do good ales but have not been licenced for off-sales yet so have to hunt out the tavern which sells it. WINE - well all the AUS wines are about half the price of the imported value in the UK and are considered inferior - you know Jacobs Creek and that. There are hundreds of Aussie wines to choose from and often small vineyards on the doorstep which just sell to the public and are excellent. Generally alcohol is cheap although spirits about the same price as the UK.

Do they still do 4 litres of wine for $11 in a BOX? A cask as some of the rummies in Australia used to call it.

It got me through my backpacking days, however was a little disturbed by the amount of fish and eggs they added to it! Cheap fermentation processes!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:22 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
Do they still do 4 litres of wine for $11 in a BOX? A cask as some of the rummies in Australia used to call it.

It got me through my backpacking days, however was a little disturbed by the amount of fish and eggs they added to it! Cheap fermentation processes!
Some even cheaper than that when they're on special, but only the real crap like Stanley, which I saw for $18 for 2 x 4litre casks a week or two ago.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Some even cheaper than that when they're on special, but only the real crap like Stanley, which I saw for $18 for 2 x 4litre casks a week or two ago.
Ahh good ole Stanley, what would we do without you!

When money was tight, which it was when backpacking I'd buy a cask and some lemondade (mix it with white wine) or coke (mix it with red wine).

Only way to keep it down! LOL!

I love the way you can by spirits and mixers in a CAN! Can't get that here in the UK. However i guess the UK has its share of alcopops!

Oh an another great thing 'COCK SUCKING COWBOYS!' Not of the literal sense, but again several shots of this creamy liquor in Ready to drink shot glasses.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit of a bummer when you love wine but are totally intolerant to eggs.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I love the way you can by spirits and mixers in a CAN! Can't get that here in the UK.
Yes you can You wouldn't want to drink it, but you can get it.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes you can You wouldn't want to drink it, but you can get it.
They are unbelievably strong and very sickly, but when in Rome....

Same as Bundie and cola. Hurts my teeth thinking about them.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Here is a small and pretty much nit picky thing...but irked me none the less.

they don't call retail receipts.. receipts...they call them dockets!

Also taxi drivers in some part of Australia, have no sense of direction and if they find you're a tourist they switch their meters to 'outlandish tariff mode'!

I never fell for it, as soon as I got in I'd be like right take me to this place and I don't wanna be charged more than this much. (I knew the going rate!)

I remember when I was in Sydney and giving directions to a guy to get me to the AMP tower...hmm....his english wasn't brilliant and I actually wondered how long he'd been in the country for and if he actually had a licence to drive a cab and also if I was getting into a cab that would end up in the wrong part of sydney where several men with baseball bats were waiting.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

5. Companies (AUS) offer less online but they are getting there
19. Phone - we have opted for free local and national calls as we have family in Sydney and the Mountains - costs $89 per month with international calls to none-internet users such as my mother at $5 per call for an hour (using telstra 0018).
20. Internet - we have Bigpond ADSL2 Liberty 12GB (any usage over that amount monthly slows the service but we've never got near the 12 yet). Service is FAST but drops out at least once a day for a few seconds. This costs us $89 per month
21. BOOKS are way more expensive in AUS. You can sometimes DOUBLE the UK list price on a paperback.
24. Bacon is NOT the same quality in Aus. Chocolate is very different.
26. Chinese is also different but just as good.
27. Thai - well nothing is like Thailand 1 in Lincoln but they're possibly more authentic.
29. Music stores are Virgin and Sanity (same group as Virgin / HMV)
34. Cars hold very high second hand values and have zillions of miles on the clock
37. When it rains in NSW man it RAINS
43. A holiday in the SOUTH PACIFIC somewhere exotic such as Fiji, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tahiti is not only possible its CHEAP
45. Loyalty cards are happening (FlyBuys from Coles / everyday Rewards from Woolworths / Velocity from Virgin) but the rewards take a LOT of points
48. There is no such thing as central heating / radiators or double glazing - reverse cycle air conditioning is the most popular way to heat up a cold Aussie house but it comes at a price (electricity costs)
Good post, my comments on some of your comments.

5. No, they don't seem to be getting there at all. I still can't believe how far behind they are. Even major department stores and retailers don't have anything - you can download their latest catalogue in PDF format and that's your lot. Pathetic is the word. Maybe online shopping is just not in the Aussie mentality.

19/20 That does seem expensive, have you tried to get it in one package?

21 Books, frighteningly expensive and I don't buy them now. You could probably get them from Amazon cheaper including the postage.

22 There is some very good chocolate in Australia, especially in Sydney or Melbourne. If you want good bacon then go to Pokeno in New Zealand.

26 Chinese food is in a different league altogether, I think comparing UK Chinese to Australian Chinese is like comparing UK Indian to Australian Indian.

27 Nothing beats Thailand, but there are some very good local Thai places in Melbourne and Sydney, usually in small food courts.

29 JB Hifi is much cheaper than any of those stores

34 Seems to depend on the cars, they aren't too bad if you buy Ford/Holden or Japanese. Forget about anything exotic (including Citroen ) or European though.

37 The rain is great, one of lifes great pleasures is lying in bed with torrential rain on a corrugated tin roof.

43 Don't forget SE Asia

45 Had them for years, cant see them getting any better now.

48 Many places in Melbourne have ducted heating, better than radiator heating IMO.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

21 Books, frighteningly expensive and I don't buy them now. You could probably get them from Amazon cheaper including the postage.
You're right, you can Another good site is http://www.bookdepository.co.uk
Their search facility isn't brilliant so you need to browse on Amazon then look up the titel on Book Depository. Worth the extra hassle for the free postage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.