Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bashing and anti social behavior in Australia?

Bashing and anti social behavior in Australia?

Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Bashing and anti social behavior in Australia?

I know about the UK and the nasty behavior of some teens there. I'm a little concerned as my elderly parents are considering migration to Australia and I'd hate them to become an innocent victim. how bad is it compared to the UK?

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bashing and anti social behavior in Australia?

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I know about the UK and the nasty behavior of some teens there. I'm a little concerned as my elderly parents are considering migration to Australia and I'd hate them to become an innocent victim. how bad is it compared to the UK?

Thanks
Where are they going?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
What makes you think they would get bashed in either country ?

Surely your parents aren't that anti social
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Pretty similar to the UK in the grand scheme of things but as in both countries you can mitigate the possilbity of being the victim of crime by choosing where to live wisely.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Depend where you go. There are numerous cases of teens getting hit by a single punch and dying as they then hit the pavement but this seems mostly to be at schoolies events or at house parties. I am not really aware of cases of mindless violence such as kids being shot at (except by the Victorian police) or stabbed in bakers' shops as they try to protect their brothers, though no doubt these things happen.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:42 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Depend where you go. There are numerous cases of teens getting hit by a single punch and dying as they then hit the pavement but this seems mostly to be at schoolies events or at house parties. I am not really aware of cases of mindless violence such as kids being shot at (except by the Victorian police) or stabbed in bakers' shops as they try to protect their brothers, though no doubt these things happen.
A guy was shot twice by the side of the road (and died), in Burleigh (QLD), on Australia day, due to road-rage.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum will be 90 soon and still lives alone and goes out every day and has done since Dad died years ago and she has never ever had a problem. Actually she has fallen a couple of times etc and so called yobs have been the ones to come to her aid. You cannot judge a book by the cover.

Cannot say it does not happen but not anymore than anywhere else. You have to look at it in perspective of how many old people in Aus and Uk and how many of them are ever attacked.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I am not really aware of cases of mindless violence such as kids being shot at (except by the Victorian police) or stabbed in bakers' shops as they try to protect their brothers, though no doubt these things happen.
Don't you read newspapers? Or does it have to happen in bakers' shops to make it especially macabre?

I distinctly remember when I just arrived back in Brisbane after New Years that there were five stabbings involving 14-19 years old in one week....mostly in the Valley and there was some incident actually on the Story Bridge.

So as you say....these things DID happen, and recently....and as Hutch says, choose where you live and its extremely unlikely to be a factor in your life.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are in their mid-'70s and manage to survive the horrors of nearby Nowra without getting knifed or shot. It's one of those shoulder-shrugg things for me - if you constantly fretted about it (wherever you live on the planet), you'd never leave the house. There was a thread on this topic in the exotic environs of the Caribbean section of this site which was very similar in many ways.

Do you research well before committing to buying - rent first if at all possible.
Seek out the opinions of locals and/or drop into the local police statation and ask.
Avoid visiting crack-dens after 11pm weekends.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:17 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Avoid visiting crack-dens after 11pm weekends.

And Wednesdays - cos giro day is usually Thursday, so all the crack heads are desperate and more likely to rob you.

Actually - havent managed to find a crackhouse in Oz yet - they are more like Ice Parlours.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm I must be getting Cynical in my old age.

I'm surprised at how many people have taken this thread seriously.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 17th 2009 at 2:02 am.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:16 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

In my personal experience of living in Brisbane, London, Brimingham, Newcastle and other places I believe that Brisbane is the safest.

I have witnessed a few messy incidents in the Valley but feel that Brisbane at least is a safer environment that most major UK cities.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Don't you read newspapers? Or does it have to happen in bakers' shops to make it especially macabre?

I distinctly remember when I just arrived back in Brisbane after New Years that there were five stabbings involving 14-19 years old in one week....mostly in the Valley and there was some incident actually on the Story Bridge.

So as you say....these things DID happen, and recently....and as Hutch says, choose where you live and its extremely unlikely to be a factor in your life.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I usually go on Mix 102.3 (Adelaide radio),click on News Headlines,that'll give you a good idea whats "really"happening in Oz,the headlines are national so not restricted to Adelaide as such!I agree with most of the other posters,yes like the UK it depends were you choose to live.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:39 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
As you quite rightly say it is SOME teens. When you hear reports of the UK one would think that in every village, town, city the teenagers are all causing havoc and no where is safe. I am sure that this can't be true or all of kids of parents on this site would be part of the problem too

I know that the UK is bad in some areas as it is here but I don't think we have the knife crime that the UK has and IMO the majority kids here do tend to stay kids.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I usually go on Mix 102.3 (Adelaide radio),click on News Headlines,that'll give you a good idea whats "really"happening in Oz,the headlines are national so not restricted to Adelaide as such!I agree with most of the other posters,yes like the UK it depends were you choose to live.
When was the last time you heard of an old person getting bashed in Adelaide.

I'm trying to work out when the last time I heard about it in my part of Melbourne.

Tends to make TV news when it happens.

Maybe it was when they were clamoring around the only A/C unit in Adelaide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.