Wikiposts

Barking Dogs

Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:40 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dogs

Originally Posted by iPom
If a dog does bark 24-7, you can also report it to the RSPCA, because it could be neglected. Owners might find that a little embarrassing to be visited to ask why their dog barks. It's possible to teach a dog to not bark too, but it depends how close you are to it. If it's over the fence, you could do it.
Every time it barks, you say 'Stop barking' or just plain 'stop' and give it a treat... It can't chew and bark at the same time. Eventually lengthen the time in between the stop command and the treat... Can be done in a day. Depends how much you like your neighbour's dog really.

High speed water pistols work too, but there's not so much incentive there for the dog... Food is a better motivator than fear usually.
suggest ratsac wrapped mince!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by toandfro
suggest ratsac wrapped mince!

Some really stupid answers on here.

I have 4 Staffords all our very much house dogs, very rarely bark and are a delight and have never known anything other than being part of our family. Couple work as PAT (Pets As Therapy) dogs by visiting hospices and residential homes.

I think Australia has a culture of keeping dogs outside which is why they bark, it simply is not the fault of the dogs. They should not be treated like this, they want companionship, I cannot understand why anyone would have a dog and not be treated as part of the family inside with everyone else.

Thus said I can totally understand frustrations of dogs setting others off if most are kept this way but the answer is education (of owners) and respect for others (neighbours) and that includes respect in the dog/s that are being kept outside in all weathers without company, stimulation and love - a 20 minute walk and a quick pat just doesn't do it!

I work in breed rescue and see the appalling conditions some dogs are kept in, the human capacity for cruelty never ceases to sicken me but the same dog can then find a new home with responsible owners and never look back but this comes from guidance and care from their new families.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:06 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marvinc
Some really stupid answers on here.

I have 4 Staffords all our very much house dogs, very rarely bark and are a delight and have never known anything other than being part of our family. Couple work as PAT (Pets As Therapy) dogs by visiting hospices and residential homes.

I think Australia has a culture of keeping dogs outside which is why they bark, it simply is not the fault of the dogs. They should not be treated like this, they want companionship, I cannot understand why anyone would have a dog and not be treated as part of the family inside with everyone else.

Thus said I can totally understand frustrations of dogs setting others off if most are kept this way but the answer is education (of owners) and respect for others (neighbours) and that includes respect in the dog/s that are being kept outside in all weathers without company, stimulation and love - a 20 minute walk and a quick pat just doesn't do it!

I work in breed rescue and see the appalling conditions some dogs are kept in, the human capacity for cruelty never ceases to sicken me but the same dog can then find a new home with responsible owners and never look back but this comes from guidance and care from their new families.
my dear Marvinc you need to learn the difference between stupid and sarcasm stupid is when you respond to sarcasm as for the rest of your post I totally agree it is the responsibility of the owner to treat the animal correctly with love and affection.but unfortunately when you have been woken night after night you just won't get away with shooting the owner
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000
So what are you trying to say? That NO ONE should have a dog? Dogs bark, it's a fact of life. You cannot stop a dog from barking, that's like telling a person they can't speak because they are making too much noise!

I work for the local council and (I'm not saying you are like this because I don't know you) the amount of old whingers who have nothing better to do with their time but be malicious and report their neighbours for silly things (lights, social noise, dogs, water usage etc), is incredible...It's like they potter round the neighbourhood all day looking for something to complain about...
You mean they have whingers in australia

Seriously tho there are a lot of cattle dogs, farm dogs, working dogs, husky dogs, malamute dogs etc, kept out here in totally inappropriate conditons, working dogs should work, pet shops sell them to people who only have a back yard and 10 mins to spend with them. Why dont people think more about the breed they buy, the pound is full of cattle dogs and collies who need a job not a cage.