Wikiposts

Barking Dogs

Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barking Dogs

If your neighbours' dogs are barking continuously and it is annoying you then speak to them. If it does not improve, speak to the council.

Dogs will bark, just like babies cry and lawnmowers make noise too - it depends on what you consider acceptable. Continuous noise is not acceptable, but there has to be some give and take - you might have late night BBQs mid-week that your neighbours grumble about because it keeps them up. Got to compromise!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
If your neighbours' dogs are barking continuously and it is annoying you then speak to them. If it does not improve, speak to the council.

Dogs will bark, just like babies cry and lawnmowers make noise too - it depends on what you consider acceptable. Continuous noise is not acceptable, but there has to be some give and take - you might have late night BBQs mid-week that your neighbours grumble about because it keeps them up. Got to compromise!
Fortunately my neighbours don't have dogs. I am speaking more of a general attitude, very prevalent here in Oz, that finds it OK to just kick the dogs outside 24/7 and leave them to it.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

poison.

I mean, Poisson.

Er, this IS the dead French mathematicians thread, isn't it ?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

We had an absolute nghtmare with two huge dogs in a neghbour's yard.

I don't mind dogs barking - it is after all what they do (although I do question the reasoning behind having two dogs of that size in a small suburban house).

But these barked through the night. 2am, 3am - primarily because he kept them out all the time and they'd bark at the slightest trigger.

I (and another neighbour) tried everything over a 6 month period - talking with the neighbour (very nice but completely ineffective), pleading (need to get up for work etc etc ). In the end I called the council who sent the ranger to his house.

Completely soured our relationship (be prepared!) but it worked (for 3 months). Then it started again so I went to see him again - and it stopped. And I decided that I'd just call the ranger again without telling him if it started again. But touch wood no problem yet - still bark in the day but not at night.

Our family all love dogs but I can honestly say that it is the first time that I considered harming one.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a dog off for barking dogs.
Worked a treat on my neighbour's dogs who now don't bark at us 24-7. My neighbours have no clue why they don't bark at us any more.

Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
poison.
LOL
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdt3000
So what are you trying to say? That NO ONE should have a dog? Dogs bark, it's a fact of life. You cannot stop a dog from barking, that's like telling a person they can't speak because they are making too much noise!
I beg your pardon?
Since I arrived in Aussieland I hate dogs. It is exactly as others say. They are dumped in the backyard 24/7 for the rest of their lives. The owners are away min 10hrs a day, when they go on hols they leave them behind.

My ex neighbour, school teacher, got a large dog which was formerly living together with his brother. The owners seperated, so did the dogs. After 10 months the owners were sick and tired of the dog because he damaged everything outside the house including the flyscreens and they gave him away. By the time I got pretty ill from the constant barking 10hrs which short breaks in between.

However, there are other dog ownes too. Two houses down the road they have a Golden Red reaver, lovely dog. If I hadn't seen him on the road I wouldn't know that they own a dog. Accross from them another two examples of dogs which don't bark. Why? because there are still a few dog owners who have the brains to train their dogs when they are young and feel that their dog also deserves a pleasant life and gets out of his cell on a regular basis.

But the majority gives a sh** about their animals. Saturday night a dog was standing in front of our door. Young, the owner got him with another one just a couple of months ago. They went on a holiday, the family accross feeds them. How come the dog managed to come to my house? There is a gap between fence and garage. My husband carried the dog back and closed off the gap with a pot plant and other bits and pieces he found at the owners premises. A bit dangerous in my books a young dog running around on the streets. We heard from the neighbour that this was not the first that the dog went walkabout.

Telling the owner that there is a problem doesn't work. Poeple don't like to be told that they are in he wrong (annoying others). They give a sh**t how others feel. In one case I know the owner then threw poo over the fence.

I have to deal with cats which are not neutralized, they come in the house at night. Once we asked a cat owner if she could get her cat sterilized. her responds: I can't afford it. But she could afford to have two cats.

I only can say: that's the relaxed life style we also get when we come to this country - there is no free ride -

Last edited by Evelin; Nov 19th 2006 at 10:25 am.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000
So what are you trying to say? That NO ONE should have a dog? Dogs bark, it's a fact of life. You cannot stop a dog from barking, that's like telling a person they can't speak because they are making too much noise!

I work for the local council and (I'm not saying you are like this because I don't know you) the amount of old whingers who have nothing better to do with their time but be malicious and report their neighbours for silly things (lights, social noise, dogs, water usage etc), is incredible...It's like they potter round the neighbourhood all day looking for something to complain about...
This shows a total lack of regard for anyone else.

"Dogs bark: it's what they do". How puerile is that? If your life is ruined by someone else's complete lack of respect for others then they deserve to have the full force of the law step on them.

As for the comment about "old whingers" ............ Your lack of empathy for others is staggering.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
I beg your pardon?
Since I arrived in Aussieland I hate dogs. It is exactly as others say. They are dumped in the backyard 24/7 for the rest of their lives. The owners are away min 10hrs a day, when they go on hols they leave them behind.

My ex neighbour, school teacher, got a large dog which was formerly living together with his brother. The owners seperated, so did the dogs. After 10 months the owners were sick and tired of the dog because he damaged everything outside the house including the flyscreens and they gave him away. By the time I got pretty ill from the constant barking 10hrs which short breaks in between.

However, there are other dog ownes too. Two houses down the road they have a Golden Red reaver, lovely dog. If I hadn't seen him on the road I wouldn't know that they own a dog. Accross from them another two examples of dogs which don't bark. Why? because there are still a few dog owners who have the brains to train their dogs when they are young and feel that their dog also deserves a pleasant life and gets out of his cell on a regular basis.

But the majority gives a sh** about their animals. Saturday night a dog was standing in front of our door. Young, the owner got him with another one just a couple of months ago. They went on a holiday, the family accross feeds them. How come the dog managed to come to my house? There is a gap between fence and garage. My husband carried the dog back and closed off the gap with a pot plant and other bits and pieces he found at the owners premises. A bit dangerous in my books a young dog running around on the streets. We heard from the neighbour that this was not the first that the dog went walkabout.

Telling the owner that there is a problem doesn't work. Poeple don't like to be told that they are in he wrong (annoying others). They give a sh**t how others feel. In one case I know the owner then threw poo over the fence.

I have to deal with cats which are not neutralized, they come in the house at night. Once we asked a cat owner if she could get her cat sterilized. her responds: I can't afford it. But she could afford to have two cats.

I only can say: that's the relaxed life style we also get when we come to this country - there is no free ride -
You have the common Australian attitude exactly.

This is a very downmarket country with more than its fair share of very downmarket people. If you are unfortunate enough to live in one of the many feral areas you will get no sympathy for complaints about barking dogs, teenage racing at 3am etc etc.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
You have the common Australian attitude exactly.

This is a very downmarket country with more than its fair share of very downmarket people. If you are unfortunate enough to live in one of the many feral areas you will get no sympathy for complaints about barking dogs, teenage racing at 3am etc etc.

Wol, I think there are 'downmarket' people in areas everywhere in the world. I certainly had them in a seemingly 'nice' village in the UK. There are certainly 'downmarket' areas in the UK.
The attitude to dogs here is certainly different than in the UK, and it's common to have a 'yard dog' which doesn't get exercise, purely for protection of the property. Dogs bark because they are bored and irritated due to lack of attention and exercise. I lived next door to one of those in the UK too, though yes, they're more common here. People's attitudes to dog ownership are changing here and there are many more 'pet' dogs which live inside and are walked, but there's still a long way to go.
Talking with a local ranger to organise an education/dog walking programme or a leaflet drop, plus talks in schools or whatever is prob the way to go... but essentially, dogs are seen differently here than they are in the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Er... "this is a very downmarket country" - based on what?! The experience of some people that there are irresponsible dog owners? Get real.

I like the 'dog off' idea - I would certainly consider getting one of those if I was living near to problem dog owners!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:28 am
toplad

our new neighbours dog barks constantly. it barks at 6.30 am, 7.30 am and on and off all day. then at 11.45pm they let it out into the front garden (in front of my bedroom window i might add) and they let it bark and sh*t all over my grass.
then when that dog barks it sets the other one off 2 doors down, so its constant 1 or the other.

we are only renting and cannot wait to move.

Last edited by toplad; Nov 19th 2006 at 11:29 am. Reason: adding more

Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by esperanza
Er... "this is a very downmarket country" - based on what?! The experience of some people that there are irresponsible dog owners? Get real.

I like the 'dog off' idea - I would certainly consider getting one of those if I was living near to problem dog owners!
Based on many visits over 40 years and the last two years living here.

It's an attitude of mind, and to too many people the Australian "lucky country" ethos appears to in their own minds (if that's not too strong a word <g>) absolve them of all responsibilities.

The barking dog syndrome is merely a reflection of the wider issue.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The dog lovers seem to be running for cover as this thread progresses...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by toplad
our new neighbours dog barks constantly. it barks at 6.30 am, 7.30 am and on and off all day. then at 11.45pm they let it out into the front garden (in front of my bedroom window i might add) and they let it bark and sh*t all over my grass.
then when that dog barks it sets the other one off 2 doors down, so its constant 1 or the other.

we are only renting and cannot wait to move.

Collect it up, big bag, give it back to them. Tell them not to do it again or you'll be posting it through their letter box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.