British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bare Feet !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bare-feet-305627/)

jwinch May 28th 2005 11:23 am

Bare Feet !!!

In the six months we have been here I have yet to wear a proper pair of shoes, somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Well I got my comeuppance today. Everyone was out so I thought i would be a good housewife and clean the floor (Unfortunately I am not very good at either)

Bucket in one hand mop in the other I walked out of the laundry trying to negotiate both the fly screen door and the back door with my elbows. Managed to flick the fly screen door open and just as it was about to swing back in my face i stuck my foot out to catch it. Unfortunately my toes caught the edge of the door frame. :eek:

Once i finally manged to stop howling i look down to find my little toe on my left foot sticking out at a right angle to the rest of my foot. Then I was promptly sick !

Fortunately Hubby and kids came in shortly after. However sympathy was extremely lacking. All I got told was no point going to the docs they will only strap it up. He then got out some white ptfe Plumbing tape from the back of his van and tapped my toes together.

I am now nursing an extremely swollen and black foot - I must dig out that box of shoes we brought with us !

hilary6 May 28th 2005 11:27 am

Re: Bare Feet !!!

Originally Posted by jwinch
In the six months we have been here I have yet to wear a proper pair of shoes, somehow it just doesn't seem right.

Well I got my comeuppance today. Everyone was out so I thought i would be a good housewife and clean the floor (Unfortunately I am not very good at either)

Bucket in one hand mop in the other I walked out of the laundry trying to negotiate both the fly screen door and the back door with my elbows. Managed to flick the fly screen door open and just as it was about to swing back in my face i stuck my foot out to catch it. Unfortunately my toes caught the edge of the door frame. :eek:

Once i finally manged to stop howling i look down to find my little toe on my left foot sticking out at a right angle to the rest of my foot. Then I was promptly sick !

Fortunately Hubby and kids came in shortly after. However sympathy was extremely lacking. All I got told was no point going to the docs they will only strap it up. He then got out some white ptfe Plumbing tape from the back of his van and tapped my toes together.

I am now nursing an extremely swollen and black foot - I must dig out that box of shoes we brought with us !

Ouch :eek:
poor you sent u some get well karma
Hilary

Boomie May 28th 2005 11:31 am

sorry to hear about ure foot..... the same happened to me on 1st april...only i was running and kicked a corner wall.... I had an inch and a half gash inbetween ma little toe..... and I felt the same feelins as u...... the after pains were awful..... infact im still suffering with it after the injury has healed......

I did go to the doctors.... and met Lara (expat) who dressed it for me..... and they gave me some extra dressings.....all free of charge... the doctor also advised for me to have a tetanus.....

Hope u feel beta soon.....rest it as much as u can..... thats where i went wrong.......

boomie
x

Shazrazmataz May 28th 2005 1:05 pm

Ouchhhh ! there's nothing worse than hurting your toes :( hope you feel better soon :)

CadburysFingers May 28th 2005 2:31 pm

I dont mind seeing everyone in bare feet doing their shopping etc, but I do draw the line at these people who turn up at your house with nowt on their feet. Why would I want their sweaty feet all over my floors. :mad:

Ransi May 28th 2005 2:40 pm

OUCH

Omg....i know what it feels like Im always knocking my toes... :eek:

teach May 28th 2005 6:06 pm

Ouch, turned my stomach just reading about your poor toe, though I did have to laugh at your hubbies attempt to make you better. PTFE tape, :D indeed!

Sarah

binbird May 28th 2005 6:16 pm

I thought this was going to be some sort of hidden spider warning, but oh no - ouch!! Your poor toes - have a big dose of sympathy from me and take it easy. Hope the pain eases soon.

Binbird

moneypenny20 May 28th 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Ouch, turned my stomach just reading about your poor toe, though I did have to laugh at your hubbies attempt to make you better. PTFE tape, :D indeed!

Sarah

Well, it's not called PTFE tape for nothing :D

jwinch, hope the foot gets better soon. I just can't get my head round people shopping with bare feet. It's not so much the dirt, it's the glass and other strange things you could walk on. Do it all the time at home though.

Scorpio1 May 29th 2005 1:13 am

Personally I think people look like trailer park trash when they walk around in public with filthy bare feet. Turns my stomach :eek: ! Just looks so common & like they can't afford shoes to me.

Whinging Pom From Hell May 29th 2005 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Scorpio1
Personally I think people look like trailer park trash when they walk around in public with filthy bare feet. Turns my stomach :eek: ! Just looks so common & like they can't afford shoes to me.

l agree as soon as people immigrate to OZ they lose all standards of British decency and start behaving like common Aussie trailer trash, swearing, drinking and walking around barefoot with hardly any clothes on, the hot weather is no excuse.

Pollyana May 29th 2005 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Whinging Pom From Hell
l agree as soon as people immigrate to OZ they lose all standards of British decency and start behaving like common Aussie trailer trash, swearing, drinking and walking around barefoot with hardly any clothes on, the hot weather is no excuse.

Speak for yourself, don't tar us all with the same brush.

Pollyana May 29th 2005 7:52 am

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
I dont mind seeing everyone in bare feet doing their shopping etc, but I do draw the line at these people who turn up at your house with nowt on their feet. Why would I want their sweaty feet all over my floors. :mad:

We have a friend who not only makes you remove your shoes at the door, but will then wipe over your feet with a dsinfectant-bearing cloth!
Last time we went there we both wore socks - she hasn't found a way round that one yet!!! :D

jwinch May 29th 2005 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Scorpio1

Who said anything about walking around in public in bare feet ! I was in my own home.

moneypenny20 May 29th 2005 8:27 am

Who said anything about walking around in public in bare feet ! I was in my own home.

Me, sorry, went a little bit off topic. Hope the toe is recovering well. :)