Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Barclays references v other bank references - your experiences please

Barclays references v other bank references - your experiences please

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Barclays references v other bank references - your experiences please

Hi!

Excuse me for doing another post but I have searched the forum for an answer but have not been able to find what I'm looking for (story of my life...). I bank with Barclays and as I'm moving out to Oz, I thought I would see if they can do me a one-off financial reference. Spoke to the muppets on the phone who told me it was up to the discretion of my local branch. So I went to my local branch who told me that I could only obtain a reference via a 3rd party. So turns out that should I require a financial reference from anyone in Oz then they need to put in a request with Barclays direct which will cost them £10 per reference request :scared: and obviously take a while to process from Oz (not something you want to happen when looking to buy/rent a house!!). So if I register with 5 different real estate agencies out there it's gonna costs me £50!!! It seems absolutely ridiculous that after fifteen years of banking with Barclays that they cannot simply print off a general letter saying that I am of good financial standing etc. I suppose I should have switched banks years ago after due to their negligence I was caused over 3 grand of fraud on my account, but hey....

I am therefore just wondering:

1) What do I require on a financial reference?
2) Have people had problems obtaining a reference from other banks?
3) Have people managed to get a one-off reference from Barclays?

In the meantime I feel another letter of complaint coming on for Barclays!

Thanks,

Piers
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Stop panicking Piers... you wont need the reference!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default not panicking...

Not panicking at all, but the agencies I have spoken to require bank references before they even show us their accommodation books...

Piers
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Weird...we were told we only need to show 3mths of savings here in Oz to get a mortgage. Never heard of agents demanding bank references!Normally they just want to see an ok from your Aussie bank to say you have finance available...maybe i am a bit green on these matters...someone else may be able to answer you better.
Appologies!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:59 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: not panicking...

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Not panicking at all, but the agencies I have spoken to require bank references before they even show us their accommodation books...

Piers
I was told I would need a reference by HSBC. I bank in UK with Co-op. They organise a letter of reccommendation for me at the cost of £10.

But I have never been asked for it since I arrived, 4 months ago.