Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Barclays CLOSING ACCOUNTS for Australian residents! Need another UK account!

Barclays CLOSING ACCOUNTS for Australian residents! Need another UK account!

Old Jun 14th 2023, 6:44 am
Just Joined

chozzabev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barclays CLOSING ACCOUNTS for Australian residents! Need another UK account!

Just giving an update on my UK HSBC bank application from Australia.

I had my ID check today with the bank on Zoom (they wanted to chat to me and see my hold my passport up to the camera etc). It seems that the application process is nearing the end and I will be mailed out my new UK HSBC bank card and welcome pack soon. No huge deposit required. Pretty pleased with the process so far. It looks like I will be able to transfer out my existing funds from my Barclays account before it is closed (like all other Barclays account holders overseas).

I would recommend this HSBC application process to anyone else that needs a UK bank account to pay state pension contributions, or receive money from relatives, pay bills, receive pensions etc.

Well done HSBC.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Barclays CLOSING ACCOUNTS for Australian residents! Need another UK account!

I had my ID check today with the bank on Zoom (they wanted to chat to me and see my hold my passport up to the camera etc). It seems that the application process is nearing the end and I will be mailed out my new UK HSBC bank card and welcome pack soon. No huge deposit required. Pretty pleased with the process so far. It looks like I will be able to transfer out my existing funds from my Barclays account before it is closed (like all other Barclays account holders overseas).

I would recommend this HSBC application process to anyone else that needs a UK bank account to pay state pension contributions, or receive money from relatives, pay bills, receive pensions etc.

Well done HSBC.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Pretty sure the HSBC account is the same as the Barclays one, it has a requirement for a very large deposit, or a six figure (£) salary to be paid in to it.
That doesn't seem to be the case based on my current HSBC UK current account application.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chozzabev

Well done HSBC.
looks like there is more than one type of account. Is there a fee either to open or ongoing?
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't seem to be the case based on my current HSBC UK current account application.
That's really odd, as so many HSBC customers have had their accounts closed as well, Barclays is just one of the UK banks doing this. I'd assumed it was the expat account but obviously not, which one did they let you get as a non-resident?
Old Jun 19th 2023, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Odd. Perhaps the bank doesn't have a hard and fast policy on non-resident account holders and different branches or personnel are making different decisions to one another. Which country someone's in may also be relevant.

Just checked HSBC's website and they do allow non-residents to open a bank account, albeit with caveats.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accoun...ccount/#things
Old Jun 19th 2023, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's really odd, as so many HSBC customers have had their accounts closed as well, Barclays is just one of the UK banks doing this. I'd assumed it was the expat account but obviously not, which one did they let you get as a non-resident?
I'd also be interested to know which HSBC account the OP was permitted to open from Australia. Every option I investigated either required the account holder to maintain a very high balance, or had substantial fees plus restrictions on what the account could be used for.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks - might see if I can find a UK bank which accepts a foreign address to be safe.
HSBC ( and are still with) we opened the UK account while in Perth WA it was an easy process and we started to pay money into it as soon as we received our bank cards and account details
Old Jul 5th 2023, 2:43 am
Just Joined

TinaBo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My UK pension is paid directly into my Australian bank, Teachers Mutual. It is subject to exchange rate variations of course. Check with your Oz bank
Old Aug 29th 2023, 2:57 am
Just Joined

jimjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the OP Open a

HSBC 'EXPAT' Account ? Curious to know if that is what people are using for this problem...anyone ??

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/internati...bank-accounts/

If so then you need a 6 figure GBP saving/income capability....

or was it -> The HSBC option of Opening an 'Overseas Bank Account' from HSBC's International Services Website - Fees ? Not sure of the Eligibility Requirements? I guess you find out when you apply.

https://internationalservices.hsbc.c...count-opening/

Last edited by jimjon; Aug 29th 2023 at 3:34 am.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

PominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of trying to open an HSBC account - it is an absolute nightmare. Every time I call the UK I am diverted to India where an operator is in a public telephone box and cannot speak English to an adequate level. Emails are ignored.
I tried to send their CEO, Mr Ian Stewart a LinkedIn message - ignored.
I have even tried to create a twitter account to ascertain progress (currently I have been waiting 37 days since I received my 'Welcome Pack'). Luckily for me the twitter person gave me the email address of HSBC management, it is [email protected]

I have also cc'd the person I spoke to at the branch in Melbourne - she takes a hands-off approach so no joy there either.

HSBC could be onto a winner here but cost-cutting seems to be the primary driver - I am in this position because Cater Allen Private Bank no longer wishes to have anyone without a UK address and gave me 90 days to go elsewhere.

Old Aug 30th 2023, 5:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimjon
Did the OP Open a

HSBC 'EXPAT' Account ? Curious to know if that is what people are using for this problem...anyone ??

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/internati...bank-accounts/

If so then you need a 6 figure GBP saving/income capability....

or was it -> The HSBC option of Opening an 'Overseas Bank Account' from HSBC's International Services Website - Fees ? Not sure of the Eligibility Requirements? I guess you find out when you apply.

https://internationalservices.hsbc.c...count-opening/
Unfortunately, the OP chose not to reply to the several queries re. the type of account they apparently opened with HSBC. That's a shame because BE was established for people to help each other.

Originally Posted by PominOz1
I am in the process of trying to open an HSBC account - it is an absolute nightmare. Every time I call the UK I am diverted to India where an operator is in a public telephone box and cannot speak English to an adequate level. Emails are ignored.
I tried to send their CEO, Mr Ian Stewart a LinkedIn message - ignored.
I have even tried to create a twitter account to ascertain progress (currently I have been waiting 37 days since I received my 'Welcome Pack'). Luckily for me the twitter person gave me the email address of HSBC management, it is [email protected]

I have also cc'd the person I spoke to at the branch in Melbourne - she takes a hands-off approach so no joy there either.

HSBC could be onto a winner here but cost-cutting seems to be the primary driver - I am in this position because Cater Allen Private Bank no longer wishes to have anyone without a UK address and gave me 90 days to go elsewhere.
That sounds so frustrating, sorry to hear you're having such difficulties.

HSBC appear to have a very poor reputation in Australia, as evidenced here https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...c#reviews-list
Old Aug 30th 2023, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

PominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond repute

All,

This is what I found in my email after less than 12 hrs emailing the address above:Dear Mr H.

Thank you for your email addressed to Ian Stuart, HSBC UK Chief Executive, about the service you’ve received from us here. I am sorry you needed to raise this with Ian.

I've asked trusted colleagues in the right area of the bank to investigate this for you. They will come back to you at the earliest with a consideredresponse.

Rest assured, your case has certainly been escalated.

Yours sincerely

James French

Executive Complaints Manager

Old Aug 30th 2023, 1:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PominOz1
James French

Executive Complaints Manager
They must get a lot of complaints to have an executive just for that role.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
They must get a lot of complaints to have an executive just for that role.
I very much doubt that's a real person but a dummy personality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.