Wikiposts

Barbecues

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Barbecues

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Are you talking real mans barbecues, or the woosie things these wimps use here?

Real barbecues go like this:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...arcoal/cg.aspx

We have one. It takes three hours from start to finish.In that time I get to watch fire - a la caveman, drink beer, watch meat burn, and then wifey makes some salad stuff.

Thats a REAL barbecue Charcoal, its what a bbq is!
3 hours !!! That's way too long. My wife doesn't have that much time to spend cooking when she gets home from work, we like to eat within an hour or so of her getting home

Gas BBQ's are good for everyday outside cooking (to either keep the smells out of the house, or to keep the heat out of the house), charcoal ones are good for that special treat (I get the feeling I have said that before a few times)

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:26 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ROBnCAZ]:

Ya see, this is why blokes do BBQ'ing.....we dont need no temp guage! Once the flames die down - chuck the sossies on!! Simple!

SOSSIES How very gay, look if you new chums cant get the lingo right you hav,nt got a hope in hell.
You cook SNAGS on the BBQ, ................ mm
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:28 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The most important thing about the BBQs is the output of the gas (MJ) for the side burner somewhere in the region of 16mj is very good and on your hot plate etc around the 80 - 90 mj mark.

If there is not enough heat output then you wont get that sizzle and your meat will stew.

Nice thick plate is always good. The rest of it is cosmetics.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:39 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
The most important thing about the BBQs is the output of the gas (MJ) for the side burner somewhere in the region of 16mj is very good and on your hot plate etc around the 80 - 90 mj mark.

If there is not enough heat output then you wont get that sizzle and your meat will stew.

Blah blah blah. You add charcoal until you can feel the heat from the barbie about 10 feet away. Then you add some more charcoal until its almost impossible to get near the bbq. Then you throw on your meat of choice from a safe distance, let it sear on the outside for about 30seconds each side, then feed it to your friends and family. (stick with the salad yourself of course)
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avroncotton
The other thing is blokes cooking on BBQ can't stop playing with the meat. I cook steaks professionally and you cook on one side and then the other and that's it; none of the constant tweeking and turning.
exactly. Get the BBQ to mid temps - half way up the scale, cook all your meat in 10 mins flat, steak in 4 mins, 2 each side.

Forget all the tweaking.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
exactly. Get the BBQ to mid temps - half way up the scale, cook all your meat in 10 mins flat, steak in 4 mins, 2 each side.

Forget all the tweaking.
The other two hours and fifty minutes is for secret men's rituals.

There are barbeques for the balconies on one bedroom flats, those for daily use, those for when friends come over on the weekend, those that are held when you are fighting bushfires or after a football match or sausage sizzles at polling booths or motorway openings or outside Bunnings on Saturday mornings. Barbecues for total fire ban days. Then there are Don's Party barbecues.

The question: "Please recommend a barbecue" is a open ended as "please find me a wife".
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Banksia
The other two hours and fifty minutes is for secret men's rituals.

There are barbeques for the balconies on one bedroom flats, those for daily use, those for when friends come over on the weekend, those that are held when you are fighting bushfires or after a football match or sausage sizzles at polling booths or motorway openings or outside Bunnings on Saturday mornings. Barbecues for total fire ban days. Then there are Don's Party barbecues.

The question: "Please recommend a barbecue" is a open ended as "please find me a wife".
If you force me, I'll dig up the article that says men need an hour of 'fire-staring' a day. Its our genes when we were cavemen we would shoot our wooly mammoth and then drag it back to Mrs Caveman who would marinate it and add some rosemary and a bit of fennel, while Mr Caveman got the fire going.

And he would sit and stare at the fire for an hour thinking,

thinking how the hell did four blokes drag a wooly mammoth home.

Or thinking, damn, looks like wooly mammoth on the menu for the next month. No dinosaur burgers.

Anyway, I'll go look for the article
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:15 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Blah blah blah. You add charcoal until you can feel the heat from the barbie about 10 feet away. Then you add some more charcoal until its almost impossible to get near the bbq. Then you throw on your meat of choice from a safe distance, let it sear on the outside for about 30seconds each side, then feed it to your friends and family. (stick with the salad yourself of course)

That was helpful
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:22 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't get round to buying a BBQ today so still open to helpful tips like the above - thanks!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:25 pm
ABCDiamond

How many people call BBQ's "Barbies" ?

Where we all stand around and chat about nothing special, like in the new Barbie Forum ?

Old Dec 10th 2005, 10:33 pm

That was helpful
You're welcome! I also have cures for humour bypasses if you need one
Old Dec 10th 2005, 10:55 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby wanted a BBQ so much we ended up flying to Perth to buy one, and then air-freighting it back to SEAsia! :scared: It was his birthday & christams present

Anyway, we got ours from "BBQ Galore", a lovely one made of cast-iron, gas obviously, and a 5 burner with hot plate & grill. It also had a hood with a temp gauge, which does come in really handy - we've cooked the Christmas turkey on the barbie for the last two years!

Now one thing I have to ask the ladies of this forum - do you too find that blokes love cooking on the barbie, find it oh-so-easy, but forget that they did f*** all when it came to buying the food from the supermarket, putting the tinnies in the fridge to cool down, the preparation of the burger buns, the salads, cutting the meat up, skewering the meat onto the kebabs.....
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:27 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Hubby wanted a BBQ so much we ended up flying to Perth to buy one, and then air-freighting it back to SEAsia! :scared: It was his birthday & christams present

Anyway, we got ours from "BBQ Galore", a lovely one made of cast-iron, gas obviously, and a 5 burner with hot plate & grill. It also had a hood with a temp gauge, which does come in really handy - we've cooked the Christmas turkey on the barbie for the last two years!

Now one thing I have to ask the ladies of this forum - do you too find that blokes love cooking on the barbie, find it oh-so-easy, but forget that they did f*** all when it came to buying the food from the supermarket, putting the tinnies in the fridge to cool down, the preparation of the burger buns, the salads, cutting the meat up, skewering the meat onto the kebabs.....

Yeah yeah yeah .......whatever!!!!!

Seriously though, I am in the middle of clearing our garden of dead branches etc.....(over an acre of woodland)...

Have had a fire going for 3 days and just CANNOT drag myself away from it!!!!

There HAS to be something built into us blokes that makes us want to sit 'staring' (and I do) at a fire for hours on end!!

Very soothing..............

The women just dont get it and think I'm barmy,,,,,,,C's ol' man even comes and joins me on occasions with a cigar and a beer!! We just sit there, in silence, and stare (at the fire, not each other)!!!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I do great meat, but what's the best way to clean the grid and hotplate afterwards? I confess that I tend to get up the following morning, scrape the loose stuff up and then run it hard next time to burn off any germs!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 1:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note......only buy the BBQ the size you want to store.

because regardless of all the talk only 10% of you will ever really cook on the thing after 3 years, it will be used 2-3 times a year after that

Then the wife will learn to use the grill, get used to opening a door for the smell and heat!!!!??? excuse while I barf

and the bloke gets well bored....

if I am wrong, please send me the bbq recipes from all blokes still using the outside gas oven after three years in Aus and not using pre bought kebabs or steaks, Thanks.

As for the original poster.....learn to cook on a BBQ.....marinade all your old meat in any left over bottles from the fridge....include tomato sauce, chilli dip, coke, butter, brown sauce, dill pickle, ...etc etc in one bowl overnight. Give it to master chef at the big outside gas oven and let him burn, some ejjeit is bound to ask for the recipe!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.