Barbecues

Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:53 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barbecues

Bit confused as to which forum I should be posting in now but . . . .

We might finally get around to buying the essential bit of Australian lifestyle kit tomorrow - any recommendations? We are a family of five with extended family nearby so need to be able to cater for quite a number.

Having never had the opportunity to do much in the way of barbecues in the UK I would like to buy a book as well (recipes and tips) - anyone found a good one?

Looking forward to your advice. . . . .

Binbird (the novice barbecue chef - oops that should read the wife of a novice barbecue chef!)

Last edited by binbird; Dec 10th 2005 at 6:55 am.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:12 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: Barbecues

Originally Posted by binbird

We might finally get around to buying the essential bit of Australian lifestyle kit tomorrow - any recommendations? We are a family of five with extended family nearby so need to be able to cater for quite a number.

Having never had the opportunity to do much in the way of barbecues in the UK I would like to buy a book as well (recipes and tips) - anyone found a good one?

Binbird (the novice barbecue chef - oops that should read the wife of a novice barbecue chef!)
Binbird............you very nearly made a fateful mistake there (I notice you corrected yourself pretty sharpish)!!

BBQ'ing is a bloke thing, done by blokes, best by blokes.....take away our BBQ and you take away the man!!

Oh, and as your post is regarding Australian Lifestyle & Culture, I would hazard a guess that you are posting in the right place!!!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:18 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Binbird............you very nearly made a fateful mistake there (I notice you corrected yourself pretty sharpish)!!

BBQ'ing is a bloke thing, done by blokes, best by blokes.....take away our BBQ and you take away the man!!

Oh, and as your post is regarding Australian Lifestyle & Culture, I would hazard a guess that you are posting in the right place!!!
How very helpful

Binbird like you i'm also looking for a decent BBQ - I'll watch with interest to see if anyone suggests any decent makes to look out for - I think me and hubbie are going to treat ourselves to a nice one for Christmas! Not going to be cooking on it on Xmas day though - not quite ready for that yet!!!

Some of the BBQ's have rotisserys for chicken etc - that would be handy as stops the house getting too hot when the oven is on. How are you anyway - been a long time since i've heard from you!!!!

Lynn
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird

Just one piece of advice. Make sure it has a canopy roasting lid with a window so you can see what's going on without losing temp. also a temp guage would be good too!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:44 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by avroncotton
Just one piece of advice. Make sure it has a canopy roasting lid with a window so you can see what's going on without losing temp. also a temp guage would be good too!
Blimey! Should a known..................get women talking about BBQ'ing and things start to get technical!

A temp guage????
On a BBQ????

Ya see, this is why blokes do BBQ'ing.....we dont need no temp guage! Once the flames die down - chuck the sossies on!! Simple!

No, seriously though.......it always amazes me to see the advancement in BBQ technology. The ones you see now-a-days are practically the same as yer cooker indoors, but outdoors...if you know what I mean!?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:51 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good tips - thanks!

I tried suggesting to hubby that a barbecue would make a good christmas present for himself but he wasn't too keen! How come us women are expected to be grateful for household type presents but it is not acceptable to the male species?!

And hi Lynn - we have been busy - you know what it's like yourself having arrived at a similar time to us though a bit further along the coast! Saw your post about your trip to Sydney to collect your pet from quarantine (dog, was it?), anyway, hope you are happily reunited now. Kids have been in school for about a month now so life is beginning to take on some degree of normality (or it would if I could get the hubby to go job hunting - oh well, the money will run out soon!)

More BBQ info please folks - what makes / extras do you recommend?

Binbird
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:52 am
ABCDiamond

2nd piece of advice, make sure it has a side burner, for normal cooking in a pan. Very useful for cooking outside when it is hot, stops the heat build up by cooking inside.

Kmart do some well priced ones, at about $500 http://www.kmart.com.au/departments/...8&pg=1202&L=0&

$999 =

But they go up to $2,000 and beyond, for the really good ones.

Most of them come with a basic cook book to start off with.

Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:53 am
Birds of a feather . . .

No, seriously though.......it always amazes me to see the advancement in BBQ technology. The ones you see now-a-days are practically the same as yer cooker indoors, but outdoors...if you know what I mean!?
If you can't take the heat . . . . . get out of the kitchen!

I'm on strike now - I'm not cooking another thing until we've got our barbie (and then him indoors will be doing it outdoors instead!)

Binbird
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:55 am
Birds of a feather . . .

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]2nd piece of advice, make sure it has a side burner, for normal cooking in a pan. Very useful for cooking outside when it is hot, stops the heat build up by cooking inside.

Thanks ABC - the usual gems of advice from a real gem! (Think that may be a bit advanced for my novice though! Stirring - what's stirring?!)

Binbird
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Blimey! Should a known..................get women talking about BBQ'ing and things start to get technical!

A temp guage????
On a BBQ????

Ya see, this is why blokes do BBQ'ing.....we dont need no temp guage! Once the flames die down - chuck the sossies on!! Simple!

I AM A BLOKE! and a chef! But it amazes me that for 364 days of the year the nearest a bloke comes to the kitchen is to get another beer out of the fridge, then all of a sudden they become a Jamie bloody Oliver at the BBQ. The other thing is blokes cooking on BBQ can't stop playing with the meat. I cook steaks professionally and you cook on one side and then the other and that's it; none of the constant tweeking and turning.

The hood is for roasting say a Leg of lamb. Ripper on the BBQ!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:08 am
Account Closed

I AM A BLOKE! and a chef! But it amazes me that for 364 days of the year the nearest a bloke comes to the kitchen is to get another beer out of the fridge, then all of a sudden they become a Jamie bloody Oliver at the BBQ. The other thing is blokes cooking on BBQ can't stop playing with the meat. I cook steaks professionally and you cook on one side and then the other and that's it; none of the constant tweeking and turning.

The hood is for roasting say a Leg of lamb. Ripper on the BBQ!
LMAO....yeah I agree completely!!
I think most blokes bar the minority like your good self, actually have a genuine fear of cooking!! Too many things to think about at once.....does our heads in!!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind cooking.........I eat it all the time.

Here's a BBQ site for you........
http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/home.html
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:03 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine from Bunnings for $400, special offer a few weeks ago, very similar to the one ABCD posted the picture of. Now all we need is some decent weather to get chance to use it
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:34 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking real mans barbecues, or the woosie things these wimps use here?

Real barbecues go like this:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...arcoal/cg.aspx

We have one. It takes three hours from start to finish.In that time I get to watch fire - a la caveman, drink beer, watch meat burn, and then wifey makes some salad stuff.

Thats a REAL barbecue Charcoal, its what a bbq is!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Are you talking real mans barbecues, or the woosie things these wimps use here?

Real barbecues go like this:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...arcoal/cg.aspx

We have one. It takes three hours from start to finish.In that time I get to watch fire - a la caveman, drink beer, watch meat burn, and then wifey makes some salad stuff.

Thats a REAL barbecue Charcoal, its what a bbq is!
You tell 'em! Aussies haven't got a clue how to bbq properly. Any monkey can cook with gas. Weber make a good braai (bbq), I've got one, but the best type is half an oil drum with some holes cut in it, some legs welded on & some meshed steel on the top, should cost under $20. As a Saffa one of my duties is to teach Aussies how to bbq properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.