Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BankWest TeleNet Saver

BankWest TeleNet Saver

Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BankWest TeleNet Saver

Originally Posted by bridie
I will do, meant to do it yesterday just never got round to it

Must admit I wasnt impressed with their customer service in the branch either, 30 minutes I stood there in the heat (no aircon it seems...) and she just tapped away, no conversation, nothing, and when she did ask me something I struggled to hear what she was saying as she was mumbling - but they had time for staff to chat to each other about god knows what.

Sorry, bit of a rant there
Write a letter of complaint to the manager. It's a fact that one persons bad customer experience gets related to 10 [or more !!] people so they should get a rocket up their backside.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:45 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
A tad disappointed maybe, i was hoping for more options than Westpac. Put a considerable amount of work into my original post and your reply seems to have stopped me in my tracks, so ummmmmmmmmm?

I've said it before and I will no doubt say it again, but I don't think you can beat the HSBC Online Savings account. Look at all these features:

*$0 monthly account keeping fee#
*A high interest rate of 5.35%p.a *
*A high 6.40%p.a.* interest rate for deposits $500,000 or more
*Unlimited free HSBC ATM transactions^
*Five free ATM transactions per month at any bank ATM~
*Free BPAY®, EFTPOS and Bank@PostTM
*Free automated phone and Internet Banking
*24/7 online access

You can open an account from the UK, and it is immediately active with telephone and online banking. No faffing around having to 'activate' it.

S
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've said it before and I will no doubt say it again, but I don't think you can beat the HSBC Online Savings account. Look at all these features:

*24/7 online access

You can open an account from the UK, and it is immediately active with telephone and online banking. No faffing around having to 'activate' it.

S
I did look into this one but the fact of having only one branch in perth put me off! Is it possible for family to deposit money in the account from the uk?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife2be
I did look into this one but the fact of having only one branch in perth put me off! Is it possible for family to deposit money in the account from the uk?

Yes it is. The branch thing is just a big red herring. Use it to bank your money until you arrive, then change if it's not convenient for you.

I have been here for 18 months, and only been to the branch once.

S
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Do you get your cards before you go or do you still have to go into the branch in aus for them?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:38 am
has lost The Game

Do you get your cards before you go or do you still have to go into the branch in aus for them?

No they send them to your UK address, along with PIN numbers (not in the same envelope), a cheque book and an ID PIN number device.

You can use them as soon as they arrive.

S
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

No they send them to your UK address, along with PIN numbers (not in the same envelope), a cheque book and an ID PIN number device.

You can use them as soon as they arrive.

S
That does sound appealing thanks for your help!!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

dainty will become famous soon enough

That does sound appealing thanks for your help!!
I second this thanks.. this whole tread is very useful!

I was going to look into upgrading my HSBC (UK) account to the Premier account, which I believe allows you to set up your current accounts anywhere there is a HSBC prescence.

All this is very useful!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:32 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

*24/7 online access

S
http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/...online-account

Interest rates are effective 27-Nov-07and are subject to change.

Online Savings Account - Key Features
No monthly account keeping fee
A high 5.10% p.a1 interest rate on amounts between $5,000 to $499,999
6.15% p.a on deposits greater than $500,0001
Fee-free banking options within Australia
Unlimited free HSBC ATM transactions
Five free ATM transactions per month, at any bank ATM2
Free BPAY®, EFTPOS and Bank@Post™

They seem to have dropped the headline interest rates recently?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:43 am
has lost The Game

http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/...online-account

Interest rates are effective 27-Nov-07and are subject to change.

Online Savings Account - Key Features
No monthly account keeping fee
A high 5.10% p.a1 interest rate on amounts between $5,000 to $499,999
6.15% p.a on deposits greater than $500,0001
Fee-free banking options within Australia
Unlimited free HSBC ATM transactions
Five free ATM transactions per month, at any bank ATM2
Free BPAY®, EFTPOS and Bank@Post™

They seem to have dropped the headline interest rates recently?

The rates I quoted were Emailed to me about 10 mins before I posted them, which is what prompted me to post them. So it may be that they are raising them instead

S
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

How did you manage to open the hsbc account from the uk, you cant do it online - do you just phone or go into a uk branch?

We already bank with first direct and thought it would be pretty straightforward but doesnt seem to be They also mentioned a £100 set up fee
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:55 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

The rates I quoted were Emailed to me about 10 mins before I posted them, which is what prompted me to post them. So it may be that they are raising them instead

S

Ahhhhhhhhh! Appologies for jumping the gun and to an incorrect conclusion then, thanks very much for the information you provided, very usefull to know!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:57 am
has lost The Game

How did you manage to open the hsbc account from the uk, you cant do it online - do you just phone or go into a uk branch?

We already bank with first direct and thought it would be pretty straightforward but doesnt seem to be They also mentioned a £100 set up fee

You have to contact their International Office based in Canada Square, Canary Wharf. They will send you all the stuff. Fill it in and send it off. They will do the rest. I woudn't bother asking in branches, as they don't seem to know much about it.

S
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks again
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:41 pm
Banned

Hi,
I understand you can open a current account from this side of the pond, a good thread outlines this process!

Here's how to open a Westpac account from the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452418

My question relates to Bankwest really.

Has anyone opened this account while in the UK.
BankWest Hero Transaction Account - A current account.
http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/...ero/index.aspx

It looks quite good, do you agree?

I ask because i want to ask has anyone opened this account while in the UK?

BankWest TeleNet Saver 7.20%
http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/index.asp

The reason for my post is to summarise the situation prior to leaving the UK, but making your funds work harder?

I want to transfer X amount of money to a newly opened BankWest TeleNet Saver while in the UK, is this a possibility, or is it impossible due to the rules?

I understand you must first transfer the funds to a current account in Australia. Can the current account be a BankWest Hero Transaction Account, or does the current account have to be an external account away from Bankwest, so maybe a Westpac account?

Once the funds are in your current account, for example i am still in the UK, i want to transfer my funds from my Australian current account to my BankWest TeleNet Saver. Now if my current account is a BankWest Hero Transaction Account, then it is in the same institution as my BankWest TeleNet Saver, so would there be a problem moving the funds even though i have not activated my BankWest Hero Transaction Account in Australia. I know i must activate a Westpac current account in Australia prior to moving funds so would not be feasible if i had a Westpac current account.

This leads me to my next question, if the problem in moving funds to my BankWest TeleNet Saver is activating my current account while in the UK, then is there a way to activate either my Westpac current account or BankWest Hero Transaction Account while in the UK. I understand there is a Westpac branch in London where you can activate your current account, but there is no point if i cannot open my BankWest TeleNet Saver while in the UK.

Is there a BankWest branch in the UK, where i can activate my BankWest Hero Transaction Account, then move funds to my BankWest TeleNet Saver while in the UK.

I know its all complicated, but an important question, if you are moving funds weeks or months before you plan to arrive in Australia, and do not want your funds sitting in your current account in Australia.

Appologies for the complicated nature of my post, but it could help many in the future, so well worth the trouble i feel?
BankWest TeleNet Saver 7.20% - If you open an Australian current account first, can this be opened while in the UK? I think that is a very important question, because it may be a possibility, which could be usefull?

HSBC Online Savings account 5.35% to 6.40% - Can be opened while in the UK.

Westpac Choice current account and a Westpac Max-i Direct 5.25% to 6.50% - Can be opened in the UK

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Nov 28th 2007 at 12:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.