Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banks - suggestions ?

Wikiposts

Banks - suggestions ?

Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:28 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Banks - suggestions ?

I know this is all a bit subjective but does anyone have any recommendations as far as banking in australia goes ? We are still in canada and was thinking of either opening a westpac account for pre-migrants before arrival or opening an HSBC account here in Canada and then transferring it to an australian HSBC account once in aus. Anyone have experience with either of these two banks or other suggestions I would love to hear from you
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:45 am
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Banks - suggestions ?

Six weeks before we left, I applied to HSBC, filled in the application, sent certified copies of passport, birth certificate and a credit card bill for proof of address and then sent it to their offices in Isle of White who deal with International Applications. About a week later they said they needed more ID, it wasn't them, it was Australia HSBC, what ID is better than those above. I eventually found my driving licence, sent that, by this time a few weeks had gone by and then I was in the queue for Customs at Heathrow leaving for Oz and I got a call on my mobile saying they had declined my application because my driving licence didn't have a photo on it. I was furious although it wasn't their fault in Isle Of White, I think they couldn't believe it either. So needless to say I wouldn't recommend them. When we got here, I went to St George, they are in every high street and it only took 5 days to get cards and if need be, they can give you a cashpoint card immediately. It was only the visas which is like our switch card that took 5 days and the staff have always been very helpful and I haven't paid any bank charges yet.
Good luck
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:49 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy 2
Six weeks before we left, I applied to HSBC, filled in the application, sent certified copies of passport, birth certificate and a credit card bill for proof of address and then sent it to their offices in Isle of White who deal with International Applications. About a week later they said they needed more ID, it wasn't them, it was Australia HSBC, what ID is better than those above. I eventually found my driving licence, sent that, by this time a few weeks had gone by and then I was in the queue for Customs at Heathrow leaving for Oz and I got a call on my mobile saying they had declined my application because my driving licence didn't have a photo on it. I was furious although it wasn't their fault in Isle Of White, I think they couldn't believe it either. So needless to say I wouldn't recommend them. When we got here, I went to St George, they are in every high street and it only took 5 days to get cards and if need be, they can give you a cashpoint card immediately. It was only the visas which is like our switch card that took 5 days and the staff have always been very helpful and I haven't paid any bank charges yet.
Good luck
Thanks for that.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:49 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
I know this is all a bit subjective but does anyone have any recommendations as far as banking in australia goes ? We are still in canada and was thinking of either opening a westpac account for pre-migrants before arrival or opening an HSBC account here in Canada and then transferring it to an australian HSBC account once in aus. Anyone have experience with either of these two banks or other suggestions I would love to hear from you
We're with Westpac and have had no real dramas with them... Easy to open before arrival... Easy to activate when you get here...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy 2
Good luck
I went with HSBC - I found the syetem for opening an account from the UK seamless and straightforward. It took about 4-6 weeks from receiving all the forms. The account is opened immediately, and you can use it with full services (internet & telephone banking) from day 1 to access and move your money. It isn't held in abayence until you arrive and check in with a local branch.

They offer a good rate of interest (4.75%) on the balance of your account, which you will start to accrue from the day that you deposit your money. The best thing however is that they don't charge any fees for running your account. They will send an EFTPOS card to you in the UK, along with a cheque book and relevant PIN numbers.

You can have 5 fee free transactions at other peoples ATMs, and all transactions at HSBC ATMs are fee free too. If there isn't an ATM nearby, then you can withdraw money at the post office. You can also do most other day to day transactions at the post office too - paying in cheques etc.

When I applied for mine, it had to go through the HSBC International Office at Canada Square in Canary Wharf. Not sure about the previous posters Isle of White experience. You had to provide 100 points of identification made up from the list that they gave. This included driving licences, passports, bills, existing bank statements etc.

I hope this helps.

S
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:22 am
True Blue

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I went with HSBC - I found the syetem for opening an account from the UK seamless and straightforward. It took about 4-6 weeks from receiving all the forms. The account is opened immediately, and you can use it with full services (internet & telephone banking) from day 1 to access and move your money. It isn't held in abayence until you arrive and check in with a local branch.

They offer a good rate of interest (4.75%) on the balance of your account, which you will start to accrue from the day that you deposit your money. The best thing however is that they don't charge any fees for running your account. They will send an EFTPOS card to you in the UK, along with a cheque book and relevant PIN numbers.

You can have 5 fee free transactions at other peoples ATMs, and all transactions at HSBC ATMs are fee free too. If there isn't an ATM nearby, then you can withdraw money at the post office. You can also do most other day to day transactions at the post office too - paying in cheques etc.

When I applied for mine, it had to go through the HSBC International Office at Canada Square in Canary Wharf. Not sure about the previous posters Isle of White experience. You had to provide 100 points of identification made up from the list that they gave. This included driving licences, passports, bills, existing bank statements etc.

I hope this helps.

S

thanks, we are actually in Canada and there are several branches of HSBC in town, not sure though if we can open an aussie account from there. Opening a westpac account, as per other posters message seems quicker and I read the website, looks straight forward enough.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
thanks, we are actually in Canada and there are several branches of HSBC in town, not sure though if we can open an aussie account from there. Opening a westpac account, as per other posters message seems quicker and I read the website, looks straight forward enough.
I'm also with Westpac and opened the accounts before I left the UK, it was very simple and they have been fine so far.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:28 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

We've opened one with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia,straight forward,easy to do,and our id was returned quickly but we've still not activated it yet as we're still in dreary Glasgow.