Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banks in Brisbane?

Banks in Brisbane?

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banks in Brisbane?

Doing my Validation trip in Jan was thinking about joining HSBC online account - apparently only one branch ? - is ANZ Access Advantage any good - although as I am validating not much is going to go into the account, so at $5 I will obvioulsy go overdrawn...........

Any suggestions for Brisbane - mixture of the 2 maybe ?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:44 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banks in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by MikeMc
Doing my Validation trip in Jan was thinking about joining HSBC online account - apparently only one branch ? - is ANZ Access Advantage any good - although as I am validating not much is going to go into the account, so at $5 I will obvioulsy go overdrawn...........

Good point Mike.

We joined HSBC and it's been a pain in the rectum. Every time we need bankers cheques etc we need to go in to the main branch which is in the centre of Bris. At least ANZ have branches everywhere.

I think you need a minimum of $1,000 to open up an HSBC account though [can't quite remember] so it's worth checking this out.

The other thing is the benefits. Check out cashpoint transactions and charges for cheques etc [look in search on the Expat site [above] ]The benefits pertinent to you / your circumstances will sway you towards one or the other bank.

Good luck with the trip
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:16 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeMc

Hi,

We opened an account with the Westpac online. They do a Westpac One account which gives savings and main account. It was $500 to open and they charged $8.00 for the transaction. Our bank charged £14.00. Their address is www.westpac.com.au if this helps.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

We originally opened a HSBC account, on-line banking is OK (not a patch on First Direct) but going to the branch was a real pain and EFTPOS was a nightmare. We struggled for the first couple of months with it but repeatedly had the embarrassment of the card not working in shops.
We now still retain the HSBC account as it has no account keeping fees and reasonable interest rates, also has a free cheque book which is really handy and I don't know of any other account which doesn't charge for cheque books and usage.
We use a mixture of Commonwealth, HSBC and our business banking through Westpac.
Unfortunately ridiculous bank things is one of the downsides to OZ.
Annie