banks

Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:34 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default banks

can someone help me out here.

We opened a Commonwealth a/c and the Aussie side has been activated but they say we cannot use it until we get over there in sept and activate it.

We are getting a mortgage before that from over here so we need an a/c we can a) set up a standing order to the bank and b) That our leaseholders can pay into.

Is this policy for all Aussie banks?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: banks

Originally posted by maxpaxx

We opened a Commonwealth a/c and the Aussie side has been activated but they say we cannot use it until we get over there in sept and activate it.

We are getting a mortgage before that from over here so we need an a/c we can a) set up a standing order to the bank and b) That our leaseholders can pay into.

Not sure about that, but bringig it back to the top for you now that we are awake in OZ.

Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:18 pm
nesub

Default Re: banks

Originally posted by maxpaxx

The policy in all Aussie banks is that:

1 You look at our door, thats 5 bucks

2 You talk to a "teller" thats 10 bucks

3 You wnat to access YOUR money?? 20 bucks

4 ETC ETC

They are the biggest bunch of rip off merchants you are likely to encounter. OK, I have exaggerated this, but you wait until you have to deal with these sharks.

You will NEVER moan about UK banks agian!

Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

maxpaxx I presume you are talking about an account that your tennants pay money into by standing order. As long as you have a UK bank account with a UK sort code, account no (and in some cases reference no) then the standing order can be directed to that account.

You can then let that money accumulate and transfer it here on mass or use it in the UK. Either way make sure the account has internet facilities so you can remotely manage it from here.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 12:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
maxpaxx I presume you are talking about an account that your tennants pay money into by standing order. As long as you have a UK bank account with a UK sort code, account no (and in some cases reference no) then the standing order can be directed to that account.

You can then let that money accumulate and transfer it here on mass or use it in the UK. Either way make sure the account has internet facilities so you can remotely manage it from here.
I think that maxpaxx is buying a property here in OZ, still living in UK, and needs OZ tenant to be able to pay the rent into an OZ account. I'm not sure if their mortgage is here or UK though.

I think they need to come over personnaly to be able to open, and activate, a local OZ bank account, but i'm not 100% sure.

Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:58 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We opened and used our HSBC account from the UK no probs.
There was no activation required, just filled in the forms from HSBC International (London) and sent off. Few weeks later we got confirmation that it was open and were able to put money in.

We were asked that on arrival in Oz, we visited the bank to advise of our details - TFN, address
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:20 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JulesandChris
There was no activation required, just filled in the forms from HSBC International (London) and sent off. Few weeks later we got confirmation that it was open and were able to put money in.

We were asked that on arrival in Oz, we visited the bank to advise of our details - TFN, address

Cheers all,

Just emailed HSBC to confirm.

Also Aussie mortgage advisor called last night and our leaseholders can pay lease directly into the mortgage a/c.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:08 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

I can also say that HSBC's service is pretty good. We opened an on-line savings account, which is essentially a current account that you are expected to manage on-line. It seems to be reasonably cheap to run as well - as long as you don't use cheques and run the account on-line.

Only £10 to transfer money between a UK HSBC account and an Oz HSBC account as well.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:06 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JulesandChris

We managed to do this with the HSBC, they were very helpful. Reading the other threads on banking I don't believe that there is another choice. I noticed a strange thing though, in Southport Qld. the HSBC bank is staffed completely by women.

Slater