Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bankruptcy threatings move HELP

bankruptcy threatings move HELP

Old May 13th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice
Default bankruptcy threatings move HELP

Hi folks.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about bankruptcy.
I prob should be asking australian immigration but wanted to know if any of you guys have had similar circumstances.

My wife and I are going through the sponsor option but financial situations are forcing my wife into possible bankruptcy which I dont think affects my financial situation and I am the main applicant in the visa.

Does anyone know how that might affect our application or know any goods sites I can get some advice.

Goggs

Old May 13th 2011, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bankruptcy threatings move HELP

Originally Posted by offski
Hi folks.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about bankruptcy.
I prob should be asking australian immigration but wanted to know if any of you guys have had similar circumstances.

My wife and I are going through the sponsor option but financial situations are forcing my wife into possible bankruptcy which I dont think affects my financial situation and I am the main applicant in the visa.

Does anyone know how that might affect our application or know any goods sites I can get some advice.

Goggs

When you say the "sponsor option"which actual visa do you mean? Are you talking about family sponsored, State sponsored or employed sponsored? State sponsored for instance often wants proof of funds that you are bringing with you....
Old May 13th 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

I believe it is a employed 457 sponsor my agent is talking about.

If my wife is forced into bankruptcy then I dont think it affects my finances of which I have proceeds of a house that I sold in my name which will support us.

We will still have funds but everything belongs to me basically.

Just wasnt sure if bankruptcy would affect the application

Thanks
Old May 13th 2011, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about UK bankruptcy but it would certainly affect your wife's ability to leave the country if the rules there are the same as Aus. A bankrupt may not leave without permission of the trustees here - so that may also be worth checking out.
Old May 14th 2011, 2:42 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

You believe ?

Mate if someone has hired you and is sponsoring you to come over to Australia I would expect you would recall.
Old May 14th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

sorry zambia for saying "believe" I am 100% absolutely certain without a seed of doubt that it is a 457 sponsor,

Glad I could sort that out for you, Now if you could give me some advice on what I actually was asking I would be very grateful.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:40 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

sorry zambia for saying "believe" I am 100% absolutely certain without a seed of doubt that it is a 457 sponsor,

Glad I could sort that out for you, Now if you could give me some advice on what I actually was asking I would be very grateful.
Awesome its all clear as mud now.

However I would not be qualified to answer any questions on Bankruptcy with any certainty.

Best of luck with it though. Someone will come along that can.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

As i understand it if you and your wife have joint assets then her bankruptcy can affect you in the UK unless it is a business that is going bankrupt in your wifes name.

As for affecting the 457 visa then i have no experience, except that we are expecting to pay off all our debts before we leave the country when we get our 457 - currently releasing funds to do just that (have around £12K unsecured loan that needs to be paid off).
Old May 14th 2011, 4:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If my wife is forced into bankruptcy then I dont think it affects my finances of which I have proceeds of a house that I sold in my name which will support us.

We will still have funds but everything belongs to me basically.

Just wasnt sure if bankruptcy would affect the application

Thanks
I don't think bankruptcy in itself will affect a 457. You don't have to show proof of funds for a 457, for instance. However, as you probably realise, the 457 is only a temporary visa, so you need to be aware of things like the fact if the main applicant loses their job, then you have to leave the country, and if you are planning to go for perm residency, check out the rules on the route you are using there to make sure you don't need funds behind you.
Might be worth a quick chat witha registered agent to make sure.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bikergirl.

At the minute my wife doesnt have any assets and no debt and is just living on student grant thingy.

I have no debts either but have some good savings in the bank from when I sold my house.
I could easily pay the £10k but it isnt my debt and I would totaly grudge paying it.
I dont think they will can take my money and I can support both of us when we finally get to oz.

I have been contacting the Australian iimmigrationagencies just to find out how her bankruptcy affects us but you know how long they take to get back.

Thanks
Old May 14th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

and thanks pollyana.

All good stuff.
Thanks
Old May 14th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bikergirl.

I could easily pay the £10k but it isnt my debt and I would totaly grudge paying it.
Thanks
How does she think she will pay it back? 10k is a small sum to declare yourself bankrupt. I know at uni we were counselled against declaring ourselves bankrupt as it is not the gift horse it seems. The long term financial indications can be quite severe. (Of course, can't remember them but i can remember having the fear of god put into us).

'for richer, for poorer'
Old May 14th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
How does she think she will pay it back? 10k is a small sum to declare yourself bankrupt. I know at uni we were counselled against declaring ourselves bankrupt as it is not the gift horse it seems. The long term financial indications can be quite severe. (Of course, can't remember them but i can remember having the fear of god put into us).

'for richer, for poorer'

with you there al dente
Old May 14th 2011, 6:42 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Hi Bikergirl.

At the minute my wife doesnt have any assets and no debt and is just living on student grant thingy.

I have no debts either but have some good savings in the bank from when I sold my house.
I dont think they will can take my money and I can support both of us when we finally get to oz.

I have been contacting the Australian iimmigrationagencies just to find out how her bankruptcy affects us but you know how long they take to get back.

Thanks
If you can pay it easily, why don't you, and, if it's important to you, she could pay you back. That way you don't have to worry how her bankruptcy would affect you.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:14 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

She is your wife and you her husband. Her debt is your debt and vice versa. You refuse to help her pay it off, not because you can't afford it but you'd resent it.....

Karma has a funny way of coming round mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.