Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bankruptcy threatings move HELP

bankruptcy threatings move HELP

Old May 14th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: bankruptcy threatings move HELP

Yeah. Very odd that you let your wife declare herself bankrupt. Your credit history is tied together so you'll both be screwewd particularly if you ever decide to return to the UK.
Old May 14th 2011, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offski
Hi Bikergirl.

I could easily pay the £10k but it isnt my debt and I would totaly grudge paying it.
OMG what kind of a person are you? You would let your wife go bankrupt over a debt you could easily pay off.
Old May 15th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I dont know about UK bankruptcy but it would certainly affect your wife's ability to leave the country if the rules there are the same as Aus. A bankrupt may not leave without permission of the trustees here - so that may also be worth checking out.
No, not the same as in Australia. Only bankrupt for 12 months in the UK, no restrictions on travel and you can even apply for UK bankruptcy while you are in Oz.

Since the GFC, loads of people have gone bankrupt and that social stigma no longer really exists, and after 12 months you have a clean slate.

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/gu...bankruptcy.pdf
Old May 15th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I could easily pay the £10k but it isnt my debt and I would totaly grudge paying it.
If it's your wife's debt then it's also your debt. Strange thing about marriage is that your assets and debts are merged, so what is yours is also your wife's and vice versa.
Old May 15th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah OP, I cant get past your comment, 'i could easily pay it but would feel totally begrudged' thats really strong, especially if you are married. cant fathom that one, you cant expect people here to not respond to that.

Did she go into business with an ex or something?
Old May 15th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Bikergirl.

At the minute my wife doesnt have any assets and no debt and is just living on student grant thingy.

I have no debts either but have some good savings in the bank from when I sold my house.
I dont think they will can take my money and I can support both of us when we finally get to oz.

I have been contacting the Australian iimmigrationagencies just to find out how her bankruptcy affects us but you know how long they take to get back.

Thanks
Doesn't make sense. You wife doesn't have any assets and no debt? If she doesn't have any debt then where did the £10k come from?
Old May 15th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Thread should be retitled "Me not entirely understanding what marriage entails threatens move - HELP".
Old May 16th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if you declared yourself bankrupt, then it was because you had debts to pay off, that you were unable to honour........but you say your wife has no debt??!!! Very confused!

All sounds a bit dodgy to me. I know if I got into debt, my hubby would bail me out rather than let me go bankrupt. Just sounds like you want to walk away from debts that you have incurred rather than pay them off to me.
Old May 16th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 77hil
Thread should be retitled "Me not entirely understanding what marriage entails threatens move - HELP".
Ha ha funny
Old May 16th 2011, 1:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Doesn't make sense. You wife doesn't have any assets and no debt? If she doesn't have any debt then where did the £10k come from?
My guess is the student loan - so why doesnt she leave the course now and offer to pay it in installments.
Old May 16th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall my wedding vows : "for richer, for poorer"

If my wife was 10k in the hole and I could pay it I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:03 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 16th 2011, 2:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If I were your wife, I'd divorce you and just take half your assets and pay it off.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:26 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

You do know that bankruptcy won't clear a student loan? It's about the only thing it won't clear.

And as others have said, the debt will be seen as both of yours since you are married!
Old May 16th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
If I were your wife, I'd divorce you and just take half your assets and pay it off.