Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking. Whats the better account with ANZ?

Banking. Whats the better account with ANZ?

Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:29 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banking. Whats the better account with ANZ?

Looking to get a bank account with the ANZ and was wondering whats the best one to go for. Had a look at their website. But still unsure. Any ideas?
Link here.
http://www.anz.com.au/aus/ind/everyday/banking.asp
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:34 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking. Whats the better account with ANZ?

If it was me, then I'd go with the $6 a month ANZ Visa Debit Account.

With the $2 dollar account, you onlyget 6 free EFTPOS transactions. This means you can only use it six times a months to pay for stuff in shops before they charge you. Don't know about you, but I rarely pay with cash in shops. I use my card lots more than 6 times a month. That's why I wouldn't choose this account.

The $6 account gives you unlimited EFTPOS transactions. AND it gives you a debit card. One of the differences between OZ and UK is that in the UK your bank card it automatically a debit card. This means, as well as in shops you can use it to buy stuff by mail order and over the internet. But in Oz, your bank card can only be used to buy stuff in shops. You cannot use it to buy things over the internet, mail order or by phone. For that you need either a credit card or a debit card. I like having a debit card (I only use a credit card for purchases over £100 here in the UK). So, if I had to choose, I'd go with the $6 account that gives me the debit card.

If you think you won't need a debit card, go with the $5 account.

Hope this helps.

Gina
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If it was me, then I'd go with the $6 a month ANZ Visa Debit Account.

With the $2 dollar account, you onlyget 6 free EFTPOS transactions. This means you can only use it six times a months to pay for stuff in shops before they charge you. Don't know about you, but I rarely pay with cash in shops. I use my card lots more than 6 times a month. That's why I wouldn't choose this account.

The $6 account gives you unlimited EFTPOS transactions. AND it gives you a debit card. One of the differences between OZ and UK is that in the UK your bank card it automatically a debit card. This means, as well as in shops you can use it to buy stuff by mail order and over the internet. But in Oz, your bank card can only be used to buy stuff in shops. You cannot use it to buy things over the internet, mail order or by phone. For that you need either a credit card or a debit card. I like having a debit card (I only use a credit card for purchases over £100 here in the UK). So, if I had to choose, I'd go with the $6 account that gives me the debit card.

If you think you won't need a debit card, go with the $5 account.

Hope this helps.

Gina
I have both the $5 ANZ access account and the $6 visa debit account.

The ANZ access account is fine, if you don't buy a lot from the internet or over the phone etc. This gives you unlimited EFTPOS transactions and withdrawals from ANZ machines.

But I'd agree that if you use your card more like a debit or visa card then go for the visa debit card. (which is credit when you are asked )
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Looking to get a bank account with the ANZ and was wondering whats the best one to go for. Had a look at their website. But still unsure. Any ideas?
Link here.
http://www.anz.com.au/aus/ind/everyday/banking.asp

How about THIS ANZ account.

No monthly fees as long as you can keep $1K minimum in it and can invest $10k to begin with.

5 free withdrawals a month is plenty

Interest rates are pretty good to for a current account
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
How about THIS ANZ account.

No monthly fees as long as you can keep $1K minimum in it and can invest $10k to begin with.

5 free withdrawals a month is plenty

Interest rates are pretty good to for a current account

Maybe after a few months, but at first you may need that many a week.

I used mine nearly every day for the first 6 - 8 weeks. Don't forget the most you can get out is $1000 a day, that doesn't last long when you have rent to pay, furniture and food to buy etc.

I think now things are settling down I may just transfer to that one though
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Maybe after a few months, but at first you may need that many a week.

I used mine nearly every day for the first 6 - 8 weeks. Don't forget the most you can get out is $1000 a day, that doesn't last long when you have rent to pay, furniture and food to buy etc.

I think now things are settling down I may just transfer to that one though
I was also concerned...but am planning on carrying $1000.

Will pay rent by cheque.
Furniture - Credit card

Just outta interest...when buying from Goodguys and negotiating less for cash....does it actually mean CASH or is it like here in the UK where cash also means debit cards?

Ta
PG
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was also concerned...but am planning on carrying $1000.

Will pay rent by cheque.
Furniture - Credit card

Just outta interest...when buying from Goodguys and negotiating less for cash....does it actually mean CASH or is it like here in the UK where cash also means debit cards?

Ta
PG
They accept debit cards as well, but there is a $1000 limit on transactions too

A way around it is to go to the bank to withdraw cash from there, I don't think there is a limit to that although you may need to give them notice if you need a lot as they don't always have enough cash in the branch (or so they say )
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

A way around it is to go to the bank to withdraw cash from there, I don't think there is a limit to that although you may need to give them notice if you need a lot as they don't always have enough cash in the branch (or so they say )
Thanks Wendy...I can see how we'll go over the 5 'free' withdrawals in the first month.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:44 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

$6 a month ANZ Visa Debit Account.

I think i'll probably go for this one.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy...I can see how we'll go over the 5 'free' withdrawals in the first month.

Its really easy to change accounts once things settle down. The staff in the branches here in SA are really helpful and always suggest better accounts.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

We're with ANZ and have a $10,000 daily limit to our EFTPOS cards. If you discuss it with a personal banker you can arrange to get it changed.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by marco121068
We're with ANZ and have a $10,000 daily limit to our EFTPOS cards. If you discuss it with a personal banker you can arrange to get it changed.

Wish I'd known that before
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience at the Good Guys and other electronic shops, the cash discount applies to cash, credit card, debit card, and EFTPOS. I have the impression that non-cash here means if you're taking up their financing, paying in installments through a financial institution which has relation with the shop. Not sure about cheques as I never use a cheque book here.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:23 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

When the ANZ (and other banks) say 'cheque book option' I don't think they mean that it's free. If I remember rightly when I opened an account with them, having a cheque book would have cost me extra - because we rarely use cheques, I thought I'd save the money instead.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Has anyone managed to successfully open a joint account with ANZ and if so how did you do it from here?
I have looked at their online form to open up their everyday account (as I see no specific mirgant banking with them) and it only allows for one person on the account?
Any idea how to get around this?
Thanks in advance once again to all you lovely helpful people!
Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.