Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking - some tips

Banking - some tips

Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:00 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: EFTPOS (Cash back)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pabloako

We have just been through the process of opening the HSBC account. We filled in the forms over the Internet and they then e-mailed us a signature form and also a 'proof of ID' form. We took the ID form to our local bank (doesn't have to be HSBC, UK) and they filled it in for free!!!, we then posted both of the forms off to Oz.

[QUOTE]

On the proof of ID form it says you need someone from an International Bank (only category from the list that didn't have to be an Australian National) that has known you 12 months at least.

I will find this hard as my branch is in coventry and I live in York and I don't know anyone in either branch.

Did you know the person well from your bank that filled in your form?

Jo
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,

'Known to the bank' should be OK. As in you show them your account details and they can check on their computers how long they've 'known' you. If you have a photo ID like a passport as well as your servicecards it should be OK hopefully. Let me know how it goes - I'm going to try this at my local branch tomorrow.

I don't bank at my bank branch (use an online account of their's) but I got the bank manager to sign certified copies of docs for hubbie's spouse visa application so he knows me now. I would try it this way - this is what I did for the docs.

- Phone your branch in Coventry and check that it's possible for them to give you a bank reference. Thank them for all their years of helpful service (be chatty like you know them personally) and explain you're going overseas for while (so they think you'll still be a customer in the future). They'll say yes and assume you're someone they see regularly. They're not going to admit that your name doesn't ring a bell.

- Then ask them to ring the branch in York for you to confirm that it's OK.

- Turn up at the York branch just after lunch with a large box of chocs for the tellers. Say that the Coventry branch rang them earlier and how grateful you are for their help. Repeat the 'thank you for all your bank's years of service' spiel and tell the manager the chocs are for his/her staff.

They were falling over themselves to help me...

Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:09 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jolyn
Hi Jo,

'Known to the bank' should be OK. As in you show them your account details and they can check on their computers how long they've 'known' you. If you have a photo ID like a passport as well as your servicecards it should be OK hopefully. Let me know how it goes - I'm going to try this at my local branch tomorrow.

I don't bank at my bank branch (use an online account of their's) but I got the bank manager to sign certified copies of docs for hubbie's spouse visa application so he knows me now. I would try it this way - this is what I did for the docs.

- Phone your branch in Coventry and check that it's possible for them to give you a bank reference. Thank them for all their years of helpful service (be chatty like you know them personally) and explain you're going overseas for while (so they think you'll still be a customer in the future). They'll say yes and assume you're someone they see regularly. They're not going to admit that your name doesn't ring a bell.

- Then ask them to ring the branch in York for you to confirm that it's OK.

- Turn up at the York branch just after lunch with a large box of chocs for the tellers. Say that the Coventry branch rang them earlier and how grateful you are for their help. Repeat the 'thank you for all your bank's years of service' spiel and tell the manager the chocs are for his/her staff.

They were falling over themselves to help me...

Good luck!

Thanks for that I will give it a go

Cheers

Jo