Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking from OZ to UK

Banking from OZ to UK

Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:08 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banking from OZ to UK

JUst thought of someat !

When you move to Oz, you may decide to shut most of your bank accounts down, and or keep one going as a slush account.

Check:
1. they offer internet banking and you can access your account

2. Very Important.
Check if they NEED you to phone them that they have a regular Phone number ie 0151 number u know lol NOT 0845 or 0870 as you cannot access those numbers from over here using international dialling.

We had this problem with 1st direct
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Banking from OZ to UK

Also, if you plan on taking money out of the UK account via cashpoints or payment card in Australia then Nationwide Flex account is the only one that doesn't charge extra for this. They are also happy to have a foreign address on the account as long as it is opened with a UK address then transferrred when you move and offer internet banking plus there is a regular UK phone number on the card as well as an 0845 one.

I've opened one of their accounts so my parents can pay christmas and birthday money into it and I can spend it without getting charged a fortune.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:11 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Also, if you plan on taking money out of the UK account via cashpoints or payment card in Australia then Nationwide Flex account is the only one that doesn't charge extra for this. They are also happy to have a foreign address on the account as long as it is opened with a UK address then transferrred when you move and offer internet banking plus there is a regular UK phone number on the card as well as an 0845 one.

I've opened one of their accounts so my parents can pay christmas and birthday money into it and I can spend it without getting charged a fortune.

Good Onya spotty ,

We had famil here recently and he kept using his atm card, I said itll cost ya more than the fee for your travellers cheques, which can BE FREE at the right places, nah he said wont matter...

left him to it lol
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
JUst thought of someat !

When you move to Oz, you may decide to shut most of your bank accounts down, and or keep one going as a slush account.

Check:
1. they offer internet banking and you can access your account

2. Very Important.
Check if they NEED you to phone them that they have a regular Phone number ie 0151 number u know lol NOT 0845 or 0870 as you cannot access those numbers from over here using international dialling.

We had this problem with 1st direct
How did you overcome your 1st direct problem? cos that is the account i was going to keep open and they have been so brill i really dont want to leave them if i dont have to.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Also make sure you sort your finances out in good time. I cancelled some direct debits a few days before I flew and the idiots cancelled the wrong ones. I've been here 7 weeks now, they won't reply to emails, can't get through on the phone, have lost my mail reinstating my mortgage payment and they won't talk to my mother event though they did receive my letter giving permission to talk to her and she's had to pay the mortgage while everything is sorted out.

God bless mothers, and especially mine.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by desperate2go
How did you overcome your 1st direct problem? cos that is the account i was going to keep open and they have been so brill i really dont want to leave them if i dont have to.
Debs managed to do it all over the internet, until.....

we needed to sort stuff out re payments in the uk, and eventually had to pass power of attorney , if thats right word to a solicitor in uk, friend of ours

BUT,,,

I will ask her in mornin if she ever got another land line number to call them on, and post a reply

p.s. they are very good
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

God bless mothers, and especially mine.[/QUOTE]

I second that ...and i dont even know your mother
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by flip
Also make sure you sort your finances out in good time. I cancelled some direct debits a few days before I flew and the idiots cancelled the wrong ones. I've been here 7 weeks now, they won't reply to emails, can't get through on the phone, have lost my mail reinstating my mortgage payment and they won't talk to my mother event though they did receive my letter giving permission to talk to her and she's had to pay the mortgage while everything is sorted out.

God bless mothers, and especially mine.

We left in October 2004 and have just received Powergen Bill from final reading, i told Debs, soddem dont pay it, lol... silly cow paid online
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Debs managed to do it all over the internet, until.....

we needed to sort stuff out re payments in the uk, and eventually had to pass power of attorney , if thats right word to a solicitor in uk, friend of ours

BUT,,,

I will ask her in mornin if she ever got another land line number to call them on, and post a reply

p.s. they are very good
Thanks, that would be great.
I cant sing their praisie highly enough....only time in 9 years they ever cocked anything up- the next day they delivered a bouquet to my door....What other bank gives that kind of service nowadays??
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Thanks, that would be great.
I cant sing their praisie highly enough....only time in 9 years they ever cocked anything up- the next day they delivered a bouquet to my door....What other bank gives that kind of service nowadays??
No Wukkas

I reckon without a doubt BOQ are FDirect equivalent here, they are brill
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Banking from OZ to UK

Originally Posted by spottydog

Hi, do you know if this applies to their credit cared as i have just opened one?