Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking and money transfer advice?

Banking and money transfer advice?

Old May 25th 2015, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

ashleyjames473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Banking and money transfer advice?

Hi all.

Hoping to move to Darwin by end of the year! What is the best bank to open an account with? Someone told me you can open your account here, what is the process for this?

Also, what's the best way to transfer money to the new account?

Any help is appreciated!
Old May 26th 2015, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future
Default Re: Banking and money transfer advice?

We opened an account with westpac while in the UK
Moving to Australia | Westpac

Easy to activate when here. Note without a tax file number tfn - you will get 40% tax on any interest. You get a tfn on arrival

We used UKForex when coming from UK to Oz, but there is also Ozforex (although both the same effectively). Still use them now and found the rate to be pretty good, much better than banks.

There is a referral on both sites, 50GBP Amazon on UK, $50 iTues on Oz (typical poor value in Oz !)
You need to sign up and do a deal to get the gift

Check it out. PM me if you want to do a referral
UK
Refer a Friend | Tell People About UKForex and be Rewarded | UKForex

OZ
Refer A Friend Or Family For Rewards - OzForex

Cheers
Old May 29th 2015, 8:32 am
Just Joined

nicjay is an unknown quantity at this point

looks spammy but you didn't ask or check me out?

OK sorry if it looked that way I'll try again I have a friend who works in currency exchange Will Hewitson if you would like his details let me know and you can email him personally no links (I tried to put a link in to show it was genuine just as the the post above did) no email link you let me know and you can contact him. The ANZ use his company which is based in the south west UK torfx check them out they are genuine but I will not put a link

Nic (my real name not many spammers use them)
Old May 29th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carlap
Check it out. PM me if you want to do a referral
UK
Refer a Friend | Tell People About UKForex and be Rewarded | UKForex
Cheers
Please note, Ukforex no longer let me log in and redirects me to Ozforex. I guess because my address is now in Oz and I have done deals with Ozforex since moving. So only Ozforex referrals are possible from me.

Not sure what nicjay is on about, whether referring to my post as spam.
I can assure anybody it is not (check out my posts going back 7 years)
Old May 29th 2015, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Please note, Ukforex no longer let me log in and redirects me to Ozforex. I guess because my address is now in Oz and I have done deals with Ozforex since moving. So only Ozforex referrals are possible from me.

Not sure what nicjay is on about, whether referring to my post as spam.
I can assure anybody it is not (check out my posts going back 7 years)
No one has said your posts are spam

Ozforex and Ukforex are the same company, it just redirects to the country you are in according to your IP Or for smaller amounts use Tranzfers which is an arm of the same company.

Note for regular users of Tranzfers - they have changed their Aus bank,mits no longer Westpac, so if you do a transfer check the account details before moving the cash
Old May 29th 2015, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicjay

OK sorry if it looked that way I'll try again I have a friend who works in currency exchange Will Hewitson if you would like his details let me know and you can email him personally no links (I tried to put a link in to show it was genuine just as the the post above did) no email link you let me know and you can contact him. The ANZ use his company which is based in the south west UK torfx check them out they are genuine but I will not put a link

A word of explanation.....we get hundreds of spammy posts on here some days, and a very high percentage are from currency companies, complete with links. All mods are volunteers and we simply don't have time to engage in an email discussion with each one, especially as 99% would turn out to be total spammers

Once you have built a longer history on the forum you seem more genuine
Old May 29th 2015, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nicjay
Pollyanna, I'm not saying anybody is saying my post is spam, I just didn't understand the post from nicjay just below mine, maybe you can explain what it is referring to. I assume a moderator has taken some action leaving a meaningless post which really now looks like it refers to mine.
Old May 29th 2015, 9:44 am
Home and Happy

Pollyanna, I'm not saying anybody is saying my post is spam, I just didn't understand the post from nicjay just below mine, maybe you can explain what it is referring to. I assume a moderator has taken some action leaving a meaningless post which really now looks like it refers to mine.
the was a post by nicjay that another mod deleted thinking it looked spammy- and I've expmained to nicjay why it looked spammy
Nicjay's remaining post isn't actually meaningless,mit makes things clearer to us that he/she isn't a spammy poster -which is always good!

Anyway, back on topic - always good to see another fan of ozforex/ukforex/tranzfers- I've used them for years and one of the things i like is that any small hitch gets ironed it oretty quickly
Old May 29th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

nicjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies Carlap I didn't mean your post and as Pollyana explained it was a reply to another mod deleting my post. When I replied I could see the moderators post what I didn't realise is that no one else could see it!

So my apologies certainly didn't mean to hijack this thread was just trying to help. But it does look like you have got a few more suggestions from it

Hope all goes well for you

Nic
Old May 29th 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Got a bit confused reading all that haha but thanks, I'll look into those companies!
Old May 30th 2015, 8:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ashleyjames473
Got a bit confused reading all that haha but thanks, I'll look into those companies!
Dwepending on how much you are talking about, as a rough guide, above $10,000 I'd look at UKForex, below that look at Tranzfers
Old May 30th 2015, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

XE trade are another bunch. They're Canadian I believe but anyhoo, I used them when I first moved here 12yrs ago and before Forex existed. No sign up fees and $25 transfer fee. Exchange rates are nearly identical to Forex. I've signed up to both and some days one is better than the other.

There's Transferwise for UK to anywhere transfers too. Not bad but trade can take longer as doesn't lock in the exchange rate at time of transfer. Once you've paid them the money then they'll wait until the rate hits the rate you had at time of transfer but you normally have to put a percentage amount of how different you'll allow the exchange rate to be for the transfer to be completed into the new currency. Fine if you aren't in a hurry but bothersome otherwise. At least XE give you trading options to set an exchange rate and it'll only lock the transfer in once the rate hits your desired amount.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the advice, this is great!