British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Banking advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/banking-advice-744660/)

ukjoiner Jan 11th 2012 9:14 pm

Banking advice

Hi all.

Off to Adelaide in Feb :eek: on PR visa.

We are in the position of collating monies into a UK account at the mo and wanted advice as to how everyone sorted this and accessing it from abroad? Are there better ways of getting your money to and fro? We don't want to transfer all our money (crap xchange rate!) but want to obviously access it easily.

Any advice as to the Oz side of banking would also be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Pollyana Jan 11th 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Banking advice

Originally Posted by ukjoiner (Post 9836404)
Hi all.

We are in the position of collating monies into a UK account at the mo and wanted advice as to how everyone sorted this and accessing it from abroad? Are there better ways of getting your money to and fro? We don't want to transfer all our money (crap xchange rate!) but want to obviously access it easily.

Thanks!

Check out www.tranzfers.com. :)

renth Jan 11th 2012 9:49 pm

Ozforex are good too. I'd get it over in 1 hit. I reckon the rate is only going to get worse.

bingobob777 Jan 11th 2012 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9836504)
Ozforex are good too. I'd get it over in 1 hit. I reckon the rate is only going to get worse.

approaching new lows this morning, 1.487. Not a good time to make the move Uk to Oz:eek:

Beoz Jan 11th 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 9836627)
approaching new lows this morning, 1.487. Not a good time to make the move Uk to Oz:eek:

If you are walking straight into a job that pays $A then it's an excellent time to move.

bingobob777 Jan 12th 2012 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 9836629)
If you are walking straight into a job that pays $A then it's an excellent time to move.

why? The exchange rate makes no difference to the best time to earn an Australian wage unless you're sending money back. If living here and earning here then what matters is the cost of stuff here, not an exchange rate to a foreign currency.

An Australian earning and spending here has gained very little from the exchange rate halfing, other than cheaper CD's and holidays.

pomE Jan 12th 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ukjoiner (Post 9836404)
Hi all.

Thanks!

If yo have >50k GBP, get an HSBC Premier account in the UK, apply for an Aus HSBC account also, and you get Global View whereby you can transfer funds between your two accounts for free.

Beoz Jan 12th 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 9836723)
why? The exchange rate makes no difference to the best time to earn an Australian wage unless you're sending money back. If living here and earning here then what matters is the cost of stuff here, not an exchange rate to a foreign currency.

An Australian earning and spending here has gained very little from the exchange rate halfing, other than cheaper CD's and holidays.

Point taken I guess. I do like to be a little creative with my expenditure and savings and try to make use of an international market

Beoz Jan 12th 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by pomE (Post 9837632)
If yo have >50k GBP, get an HSBC Premier account in the UK, apply for an Aus HSBC account also, and you get Global View whereby you can transfer funds between your two accounts for free.

...... and instantly

Scotty1 Jan 13th 2012 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 9839054)
...... and instantly

........and at an almost mid market rate.

You also will have no hassle getting a Oz credit card with a $15k limit and you get free banking and ATM withdrawals from westpac and st george

But they have like 10 branches nationwide so not good if you want to speak to someone face to face.

harrip Jan 13th 2012 3:53 am

I'd be interested to compared the exchange rate on this. Is the one used by HSBC on a Premier account published anywhere? I have a standard HSBC business account and OzForex beats them hands down.

Scotty1 Jan 13th 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by harrip (Post 9839482)
I'd be interested to compared the exchange rate on this. Is the one used by HSBC on a Premier account published anywhere? I have a standard HSBC business account and OzForex beats them hands down.

Don't think they do - today I could get 1.45 on the normal hsbc rate, 1.471 with premier and I think the mid market was 1.48

The main advantage is instant free transfers, which if you transfer money every month like we do is quite useful.

Hope this helps

harrip Jan 13th 2012 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Scotty1 (Post 9839851)
Don't think they do - today I could get 1.45 on the normal hsbc rate, 1.471 with premier and I think the mid market was 1.48

Thanks Scotty. Just got a quote of 1.4756 with OzForex so a similar ball park. Agree the instant transfer sounds good.

ukjoiner Jan 13th 2012 10:06 am

Originally Posted by pomE (Post 9837632)

:( I don't have >50K.

pomE Jan 14th 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by harrip (Post 9839925)
Thanks Scotty. Just got a quote of 1.4756 with OzForex so a similar ball park. Agree the instant transfer sounds good.

(and the Prem account also gives you free worldwide travel insurance....)