Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banking abroad and transferring to UK account

Banking abroad and transferring to UK account

Old May 21st 2016, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tashylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking abroad and transferring to UK account

Hey everyone, not sure if I'm posting in the right section, so feel free to to move it if not.

My partner and I, both nurses are in the process of visas and ahpra application and plan on going to Australia for a year at least.

My question is, people who have gone and were unsure of the length of your time abroad, What have you done with your UK bank accounts? We have been advised to keep paying into our pension here until we know what we are doing so to avoid heavy fees for transferring back and forth from Australian to British banks what have people done? We would also like to keep our uk accounts open now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you xx
Old May 22nd 2016, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking abroad and transferring to UK account

We kept our UK bank accounts open. We get our UK rental income paid into it and use the money for Christmas/birthday presents for our UK family, RCM fees etc. All Aussie income etc goes into our Aussie bank account

You can open an Aussie bank account from UK or wait till you get here. There are a few money transfer companies that offer free international transfers too.

Good luck with it all - especially AHPRA
Old May 23rd 2016, 2:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there.

I feel you may get more responses from the Australia forum, so I'll move this there for you.

Old May 23rd 2016, 11:16 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your UK bank accounts open and use internet banking and the hole in the wall as required. Open an Aussie account for all your Australian financial needs whilst you are here. Simples.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tashylou
Hey everyone, not sure if I'm posting in the right section, so feel free to to move it if not.

My partner and I, both nurses are in the process of visas and ahpra application and plan on going to Australia for a year at least.

My question is, people who have gone and were unsure of the length of your time abroad, What have you done with your UK bank accounts? We have been advised to keep paying into our pension here until we know what we are doing so to avoid heavy fees for transferring back and forth from Australian to British banks what have people done? We would also like to keep our uk accounts open now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you xx
It is definitely a good idea to keep the UK bank accounts. However I would not be bothering with UK pensions for a year, not sure if you mean NI contributions or private pensions, but either way missing a year of contributions is going to make no difference at your young ages and seems like a complete waste to me.