British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bank Warning on Australian Property Price Bubble (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bank-warning-australian-property-price-bubble-681558/)

ABCDiamond Aug 20th 2010 10:24 am

Re: Bank Warning on Australian Property Price Bubble

Originally Posted by pomtastic (Post 8789773)
Well ..... don't say I didn't warn you peeps.

I told ya, renting is the place to be right now in Aus. Buying makes no sense whatsoever, it's half the price and you can bank the difference. We're in a giant ponzi scheme and all it will take is one small trigger to bring the house of cards down.

We're running out of greater fools.

Do you think that applies everywhere in Australia ?

IndieG Aug 20th 2010 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8789869)
Do you think that applies everywhere in Australia ?

No, I don't think it applies to Victoria Point, Brisbane Bayside, 36km S.E. of CBD....

ABCDiamond Aug 20th 2010 11:01 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8789897)
No, I don't think it applies to Victoria Point, Brisbane Bayside, 36km S.E. of CBD....

Actually I think it does apply here :lol:

IndieG Aug 20th 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8789949)
Actually I think it does apply here :lol:

:lol:

mark wool Aug 20th 2010 11:40 am

I have stopped beating round the bush guys and i have bought a property. I dont forsee the oz housing market dropping anymore than ten per cent. Picked a place up for 410$ pool ducted aircon, 10 mnths ago ownwers paid 440k for it, but circumstances force sale.
Simply put far to much construction work in this part the world and its going to drive prices. Oz is still some way behind other parts of the developed world in terms of infrastructure for its population and the government has got to play catch up quick if it is to compete with the developed world which in turn encourages and drives your economy.
As for your exchange rate get used to it this will be as good as it gets and i have vested interests.

IvanM Aug 20th 2010 11:44 am

My observations of the for sale properties in northern Sydney is that there are a lot of investment properties for sale. The signs are empty houses that are run down and do not smell of old people. They are selling but take time and they do not go for what the vendor hoped for. Decent non investment properties are rare and go in a flash. I guess the negative cash flow is making investors think twice. Why subsidise someone elses living?

Another interesting ad I saw was for investing in USA property. The main selling point was cash flow positive. What a novelty actually making money from a property investment!

IvanM Aug 20th 2010 11:46 am

As good for importers or exporters of cash? The AUD is at a high due to commodity exports and relatively low government debt. Where do you see both going?

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8790017)
As for your exchange rate get used to it this will be as good as it gets and i have vested interests.

mark wool Aug 20th 2010 12:08 pm

If honest i think the AUD will plateau out against the pound at around 1.80 to 1.90 if we do well. This i say and i still have financial interests in the uk which would benefit me better if higher but you cant be bias. This part of the globe at the moment is an interesting place and possibly something could be on the cards which may not have been seen before by young generations so it is doubted.
We all know that Aus is being kept afloat by China and other developing countrys (economies). China is trying to keep its own economy in check with interest rates and tight legislation on house purchasing.
At the moment i cannot see a huge crash over here. Once China begins to slow India will want the resources.
Read into what you will but i reckon this generation will see a change in world power without a war.
China has that much financial interest in the U.S it could bankrupt them 2 morow.

man_called_Horse Aug 20th 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8790017)
I have stopped beating round the bush guys and i have bought a property. I dont forsee the oz housing market dropping anymore than ten per cent. Picked a place up for 410$ pool ducted aircon, 10 mnths ago ownwers paid 440k for it, but circumstances force sale.
Simply put far to much construction work in this part the world and its going to drive prices. Oz is still some way behind other parts of the developed world in terms of infrastructure for its population and the government has got to play catch up quick if it is to compete with the developed world which in turn encourages and drives your economy.

You probably done the right thing, who wants to be paying a home loan in their 70's or 80's. Some people are sitting around waiting for prices to drop so they can afford to buy... might be years before they realise it might never happen.

ABCDiamond Aug 20th 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by IvanM (Post 8790027)
Another interesting ad I saw was for investing in USA property. The main selling point was cash flow positive. What a novelty actually making money from a property investment!

With rents now rising, that will become more in fashion here again before too long.

It happened in the US due to the prices dropping though.

IndieG Aug 20th 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8790270)
With rents now rising, that will become more in fashion here again before too long.

Rents definitely not going up where I live. And owners that tried to put them up are finding there are simply no takers. I've seen so many houses that have been on the market for 2-3 months now. One 4 bed house was initially advertised for $675 p/w, after 4 weeks advertised down to $650, then $590, finally the agent has advertised "you make us an offer"+"rent negotiable". Still no interest, so the owner has roped in an additional agent. Funny, two agents, one advertising it for $595 and the other is asking $590:D

Another 4 bed, new house, initially advertised for $1,300, now for $1,000 p/w, still no takers after 2 months. Lots of houses going for rent - I presume these are houses that couldn't get sold and hence a flood of rentals here. I noticed that the more expensive housing ($1000-2500 p/w) are taking well over 8-12 weeks to move, if at all. Others simply languish.

IvanM Aug 21st 2010 4:31 am

Agents around here are not seeing rising rents.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8790270)

renth Aug 21st 2010 5:09 am

...and after the crash - "no one could have seen it coming" "it started in America" etc...

ABCDiamond Aug 21st 2010 5:17 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8791356)
Rents definitely not going up where I live.

Originally Posted by IvanM (Post 8791793)
Agents around here are not seeing rising rents.

Australia is a funny old country, different things happen in different areas, a bit like the UK actually ;)

Jul 8, 2010
Rising rents, family breakdown and the economic downturn have pushed more older women into the ranks of the homeless
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2948528.htm
Australian Property Monitors reports that rents rose by only 2 per cent nationally last year, but predicts that they will grow more rapidly this year.
Renters are being told to expect steep increases this year due to low supply, rising interest rates and land tax costs, which will impact on landlords.

Research company Australian Property Monitors has forecast rent increases of up to 11 per cent in 2010 after little or no growth during most of 2009.
In Melbourne, it expects house rents to rise 5.6 per cent and units to lift 7.5 per cent.

IvanM Aug 21st 2010 9:32 am

I have seen these predictions as much as I have seen those of price crashes and booms. I think an Octopus would predict better.

NSW Labour is also putting in laws increasing tenants rights.

It still beggars belief people go into property investing making a loss and thinking it is good! I am sure many make money but the figures are terrible.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8791819)
Australian Property Monitors reports that rents rose by only 2 per cent nationally last year, but predicts that they will grow more rapidly this year.
Renters are being told to expect steep increases this year due to low supply, rising interest rates and land tax costs, which will impact on landlords.