Reload this Page >

Bank Reference - Take With or Request in Oz

Bank Reference - Take With or Request in Oz

Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Bank Reference - Take With or Request in Oz

Hi All, Just a quick question...

I've read that its a good idea to take a bank reference with you to Oz to help with renting etc - however, when I asked Barclays what I would need to do the chappy gave me a postal address that anyone wanting the reference (estate agents/banks etc) in Oz would have to WRITE to and request a reference and it would be sent directly to them!

Surely this will take forever and seriously delay things in Oz if it is needed - has anyone else come across this or was the guy a jobsworth???

I will of course be taking bank statements and credit card bills to show we always pay and never go over overdraft etc. We have 2 busines accounts, a savings account and 2 regular accounts with them!

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Default Re: Bank Reference - Take With or Request in Oz

We didn't need it. We only needed to show our current bank statement, visas, and hubbys job offer details etc. We didn't even have a written personal reference but we did provide phone numbers of UK referees if they needed them.
Our landlord is originally from New Zealand and he said no one was willing to give him and his wife a rental when they first got here as they had no Oz history. So I think he understood our situation and gave us a break! Our estate agent was lovely too though and completely understood that we were limited with what we could provide. I got the impression that if your face fits and they can see you are reliable then they'll give you a go!
Good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stella340
We didn't need it. We only needed to show our current bank statement, visas, and hubbys job offer details etc. We didn't even have a written personal reference but we did provide phone numbers of UK referees if they needed them.

Good luck!

Ditto, except we didn't have a job offer so gave them a personal reference that a friend of the family gave us before we came.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Stella and Wendy, will stock up on work and personal references before we go! I do get the impression its more about you as a person and perhaps a bit of luck too. Can't wait to get out there - especially with this great summer we are having here! Best wishes, Cat
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bother with bank references or mortgage lender etc. Its a complete waste of time. Nobody here will care what you did in the UK, your credit rating or payment history including when renting.