Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Loan Advice - 457 Visa

Bank Loan Advice - 457 Visa

Old May 10th 2008, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all
Default Bank Loan Advice - 457 Visa

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise me here?

I have been here in Oz for over 3 weeks now on a 457 visa. I work for the Queensland Government on a very good salary and I need to take out a loan to buy a car. I get to garage a Government vehicle but personal use is restricted so I deffo need to buy my own soon.

Admittedly I have not approached my own bank (Westpac) yet. Wanted to see what others said first so what is the best way to go about getting a loan when:

(a) I aint been here long and am on a 457 (therefore not PR);
(b) Don't really have a permanent postal address as am staying in a holiday rental at present.

I have to money to buy a very cheap car but don't really want to go down that road if I can help it. My other alternative is to take out a loan back in the UK and do it that way but I am surely going to lose money on the repayments.

Anyone who has been in a similar situation, advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Gav
Old May 10th 2008, 8:31 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bank Loan Advice - 457 Visa

When I arrived on a 457 I asked my bank (Bendigo) about a car loan and they said unlikely to get a loan in the first 6 months. I went to a dealer and got finance no problem and just a $500 deposit.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

We got a dealership finance on 457 4 days after we arrived. They agreed to spread finance over the length of 457 which for us is 2 years, picked up car next day.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:35 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Banks were a big no-no for me (I tried them ALL but I don't have PR), in the end I got finance, with no deposit, via a broker, with ANZ (who had previously said 'definately not' to me).

One dealership offered me 23% so please be careful, they also tried sueing me when I turned them down. In the end I got 15% which is very good for someone who is only on a temp visa.

PM me if you want details of a reliable Brisbane based broker.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

Cheers for all the responses guys!

I was kind of thinking that dealership finance might be the way forward!! Those mothers will lend money to anyone LOL! Just gotta watch the % rate.

Seriously though, good to hear it is possible! I am going stir crazy without full use of vehicle!!

Gav