Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bank charges....what the ?!?!

bank charges....what the ?!?!

Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default bank charges....what the ?!?!

I am looking into opening a bank account.

From useful past posts I see I can open a commonwealth bank and also an HSBC one easy enough from here in the UK...but....

What are all these charges? You get charged for buying things in a shop even. I spoke to the g/f and she confirmed thats the way it is, however she said she gets x amount of free ATM withdrawels, uses in shops etc etc every month with Commonwealth. However in the application and charges section I dont see any mention of any 'freebies'. Is this something you earn over time, or simply not available to me over here? Am i best waiting till I get to Oz?

I would prefer to use the same bank as her for ease, however does anyone have any recommendations on banks which dont charge you for all this?

Isnt it cheaper to keep it under the floorboards?!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:45 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

banks over here are shocking....

you dont get anything in terms of freebies...

i opened Westpac before i left UK and had the money sent over...

a current account here is called a savings account....

if you want a cheque book they tax you on every transaction that debits from your account - so noone really has cheque books here - even if you have a cheque book and you dont use any cheques you still get taxed as they say its too difficult to work out whats cheques and whats not! think you get a few transactions a month free - but not many - and you get charges after that

if this situation is old news please feel free to correct this info..

all the banks seem the same - they are pretty much all the same
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

HSBC : You get 5 withdrawals from non HSBC ATMs per month. Using HSBC kit is free but there are not many branches.

No charges for running the account although the VIsa card has an annual "service" charge.

Getting cash back in supermarkets etc does not incur a charge.

Bank cheques for things like car purchase cost $5.

All in all not bad really.

We've been using them for 8 months and haven't paid charges yet
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:49 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

CBA (Commonwealth) are thieving b******s, some recommend HSBC though there is no bank network to speak of
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:52 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
CBA (Commonwealth) are thieving b******s, some recommend HSBC though there is no bank network to speak of
Fair go...we are ALL thieving barstards...it's a heritage thing...
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
They have branches in the cities, but everything you need you can do on line or on the phone.
Also 4.5% interest has to be worth having.
And you can withdraw cash from the post office free aswell.
You can also use any other cash points five times a month free too.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I shall be moving from wastepac. The 4.5% interest with HSBC sounds attractive.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:34 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

We opened a commonwealth account before leaving the UK and then read a load of posts on here about how awful they were.....started to wish we had gone with HSBC. BUT......since being here we have found them very helpful indeed, and of course there seems to be a branch or ATm just about everywhere which is a bonus.

With CBA you don't pay fees if you have a 'relationship' with the bank. That means if you have $20,000 or more invested with them. So, if you have the proceeds from a house sale in the UK you could avoid the bank fees. You still get charged for requesting a bank cheque though. ($5.40)

My cousin banks with ANZ and they pay $5 per month to have unlimited withdrawals....which works out cheaper than charges and means you have more flexibilty.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Courtesy of Choice magazine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
choice bank info.pdf (123.2 KB, 196 views)
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Don't stand too long outside a bank either, the b*****ds will probably try to chage you rent!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
HSBC : You get 5 withdrawals from non HSBC ATMs per month. Using HSBC kit is free but there are not many branches.

No charges for running the account although the VIsa card has an annual "service" charge.

Getting cash back in supermarkets etc does not incur a charge.

Bank cheques for things like car purchase cost $5.

All in all not bad really.

We've been using them for 8 months and haven't paid charges yet
You can make deposits to your HSBC account at the post office aswell, all you need is your card and pin number. I've just done it for the first time, and being a small local post office "No Queues"

Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:03 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

should do what i did. go work for a bank. fee free banking is much better
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brisnick
should do what i did. go work for a bank. fee free banking is much better
Oi we've got a *anker here. Lets get into him.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:07 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

trust me when i say i have nothing to do with the financial side of things. i just screw up their computers when requested.......

Originally posted by bondipom
Oi we've got a *anker here. Lets get into him.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

We are with the national for our current account (which is called savings here) and for our visa card.

When we first opened it I couldn't believe that they charge you for lifting cash+ for using switch (EFTPOS)!!. The visa card is awful - 16.25% interest and an annual charge as well!!there doesn't seem to be any of those 6 month interest free deals that there was in the uk like egg etc.

I was with the halifax in the uk and never had to pay for anything even my overdraft which was interest free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.