Bank Cards

Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of
Default Bank Cards

Hi

Need a bit of help here ...I have an Abbey/Santander UK visa electron card which i use sometimes here in OZ but i cant remember what to press when I want to access money from the Aussie cash machines ...is it credit ,savings or cheque???? anyone know ..thanks in advance
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:01 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Cards

Credit mate. All overseas cards use that.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Thanks Centurion ..... appreciated
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Credit mate. All overseas cards use that.
my Nationwide one works on cheque. I haven't tried any of the other ones but I assumed first time that I had a cheque acount and that worked (my aussie bank card I also use cheque for)
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
my Nationwide one works on cheque. I haven't tried any of the other ones but I assumed first time that I had a cheque acount and that worked (my aussie bank card I also use cheque for)
My Nationwide one works on Savings, haven't tried any other selections also
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

My Halifax is savings or cheque it doesn't matter which.

Last edited by breezeboylan; Aug 6th 2010 at 2:28 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

As we can see, all or none of the options appear to work.

My commbank debit card..an Oz one of course: The instructions are to use credit but it doesn't always work and if it does, it takes about 300 years to show up on my account. BUT, I can also use savings and that shows on the bank statement quite quickly.

Just a thought...what's wrong with an extra button called debit?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to all for your replies ..appreciated
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
As we can see, all or none of the options appear to work.

My commbank debit card..an Oz one of course: The instructions are to use credit but it doesn't always work and if it does, it takes about 300 years to show up on my account. BUT, I can also use savings and that shows on the bank statement quite quickly.

I gather that you can have more than one account linked to your CommBank Card, when we took out our mortgage we were asked about adding the mortgage to the card too and would have had it as the savings option (our transaction account uses the cheque option)
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
.... and why is the account where you do all the day to day transactions called 'savings', yet the account where you save money is called 'cheque'.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
.... and why is the account where you do all the day to day transactions called 'savings', yet the account where you save money is called 'cheque'.
That one has puzzled me ever since I first got here! I remember asking the Bloke and he said it was cos thats where you save the money to use every day.....but it still doesn't make since.Its "current" money, not savings!!

As for the UK card thing - my Lloyds ATM and credit card both only work on the credit option.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes I was very puzzled about this one at first. In fact when I realised I had to select savings I was a bit annoyed as I thought they had given me some duff account that normally they would give to 17 year olds that cannot be trusted with a proper bank account. I have since got a visa debit card onto my account and have to select credit when I use that.

All very logical.

Oh and I forsee it becoming one of those things that Mr BS will check with me every time the rest of our natural lives. Like what temperature should he wash shirts at and how does he switch the oven on.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 8th 2010 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

I have Natwest and it only uses the savings option...tried the others to no avail....odd isn't
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well....the story I heard was that at one time if you had a cheque account there was a tax levied on it which is why people had savings accounts. Then the tax was removed and you can now have a cheque book with your savings account......don't know how true the story is
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mand8002
Well....the story I heard was that at one time if you had a cheque account there was a tax levied on it which is why people had savings accounts. Then the tax was removed and you can now have a cheque book with your savings account......don't know how true the story is
It is correct. I remember asking why people didn't have cheque books when I arrived in 1986. And was told about the tax.

I have a cheque book with my saving account, or do I save in my cheque account No, it is my saving account, as I pressed the cheque button once and it was rejected.