Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which bank is best and fee free?

Which bank is best and fee free?

Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which bank is best and fee free?

I pay $5 a month for westpac unlimited ATM transactions etc, I ve never been overdrawn, so thats all Ive paid, and they have been pretty good.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:28 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Until recently I've not paid any bank fees in Australia.

HSBC have paid me on average $10 a month to use their account, and since I rarely use ATMs the '5 free a month' was perfectly sufficient and allowed me to get money out of any ATM without worrying about fees.

Having said that its all about to change and even HSBC will start passing on ATM fees from non Westapc/HSBC machines. I'm REALLY pissed off about that, but will probably continue since nobody else to my knowledge will run a 'fee-free any-ATM' account either.

I guess I'll just get even MORE crazy about paying for thing on plastic!! and boycott cash altogether!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Until recently I've not paid any bank fees in Australia.

HSBC have paid me on average $10 a month to use their account, and since I rarely use ATMs the '5 free a month' was perfectly sufficient and allowed me to get money out of any ATM without worrying about fees.

Having said that its all about to change and even HSBC will start passing on ATM fees from non Westapc/HSBC machines. I'm REALLY pissed off about that, but will probably continue since nobody else to my knowledge will run a 'fee-free any-ATM' account either.

I guess I'll just get even MORE crazy about paying for thing on plastic!! and boycott cash altogether!

Yes, I agree - I'm pretty peeved that it's been taken out of the control of your own bank and passed on to others.

And I'm with you on the plastic thing - I buy pretty much everything on plastic now, so I will just extend this. Some places I insist on it (Coles for one), just to make them pay the transaction costs, especially if it's for a really small and tiddly amount.

S
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I agree - I'm pretty peeved that it's been taken out of the control of your own bank and passed on to others.

And I'm with you on the plastic thing - I buy pretty much everything on plastic now, so I will just extend this. Some places I insist on it (Coles for one), just to make them pay the transaction costs, especially if it's for a really small and tiddly amount.

S
Ditto. I put almost everything on my credit card because we get points back (could redeem for cash if we wanted). It's paid off in full every month so technically they pay me to use the card.

As long as paying by card is the same as by cash I will always choose card. My only exceptions are small businesses that are likely family owned, I make more of an effort to pay cash or EFTPOS for them.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Ditto. I put almost everything on my credit card because we get points back (could redeem for cash if we wanted). It's paid off in full every month so technically they pay me to use the card.

As long as paying by card is the same as by cash I will always choose card. My only exceptions are small businesses that are likely family owned, I make more of an effort to pay cash or EFTPOS for them.

I have an offset mortgage, so it is in my interests to keep as much of my cash in the bank as possible, as opposed to spending it. Up to now I have usually only really used cash when in pubs, but I think I will start bunging it all on the credit card from now on.

S
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have an offset mortgage, so it is in my interests to keep as much of my cash in the bank as possible, as opposed to spending it. Up to now I have usually only really used cash when in pubs, but I think I will start bunging it all on the credit card from now on.

S
I have the offset too, so yes, it does make more sense to keep the cash in your account longer so that you earn more interest.

To be honest, I usually only pay cash if it's for something under $10 because I feel a bit silly pulling out a credit card. Or, as I said for really small businesses which I don't frequent that often.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

All banks here charge here, except HSBC thats why I hold an account with them, they also have great interest rates.

Aussie banks like to charge a lot for everything thats why they are the richest in the world
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
Aussie banks like to charge a lot for everything thats why they are the richest in the world
After Barclays bank of course

Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

ChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the roughChickChock is a jewel in the rough

Didint realise that barclays were in australia. would i be able to just use my existing uk account or tranfer it over with barclays? would they do monthly charge?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Try www.bankwest.com.au

They have a migration section. Look for the Hero or Zero account. No fees on either of these!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ChickChock
Didint realise that barclays were in australia. would i be able to just use my existing uk account or tranfer it over with barclays? would they do monthly charge?
Actually they closed down in Australia some years ago.

What I was saying is that Barclays are actually richer than the Australian banks, at least their profits are bigger.

Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

NAB Gold banking is monthly fee free providing you pay in $5000 a month. You can take it straight out again and no minimum balance. Free access to all atms in Australia (not just their own) and pretty sure free atm access worldwide too and no fees for using the visa debit card abroad either. Plus you get purchase protection insurance and free extended warranty on most purchases if you select "Credit" when using visa debit (money come straight out of your account rather than it being a credit card as such).

If you can afford to put in $5k a month, its an excellent choice. You can have a direct debit from a savings account to put that in each month and then a standing order to take it out again a day or two later if you want.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:05 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ChickChock
We are going to open accounts on our reccie, and hav found commonwealth bank and westpac. I have read on previous threads that some australian banks charge for accounts.

we want to open an account in oz to transfer money over each month so we have ome savings when are there. which is best bank to use and doesnt charge a fee for the account?

many thanks
I opened an account with NAB online and verified it when I came on a reccie last year so got all my cards and everything but they said because I wasn't moving there and then they would open me an investment account or something like that which gave me a card and allowed cash withdrawals/deposits and eftpos but no monthly fee I just had to upgrade it wen I got here perm and got a job so direct debits etc could be paid from it so there is a way of getting an account without charges till you move here
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
yep, there are fees for things you just don't expect. I have a Westpac current account, it costs $5 per month as an account-keeping fee. Savings acounts are free to have but one of the savings accounts has charges every time you withdraw money, even if it's done online. And I got caught recently - I printed out a mini-statement at a Westpac branch when in Sydney and have only just noticed I was charged 65 cents for the privilege! I'll only make that mistake once....So be warned and don't just use your account like you do in UK.
with WESTPAC you have to have $3000 in a month to get no fees from a choice account however a basic account has NO fees at all
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

BankWest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.