Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank accounts - again !

Bank accounts - again !

Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank accounts - again !

I know that this has been asked before but these things change so quickly.

My eldest daughter (11) has just started working and needs a bank account. We're with the Westpac but every account has a fee and no interest unless you have over $3000 and she's not earning that much !!

Does anyone know of any accounts more suitable for her ? She only needs one account not a main account linked to a savings account.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:54 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank accounts - again !

Originally Posted by ohippy

My eldest daughter (11) has just started working and needs a bank account. We're with the Westpac but every account has a fee and no interest unless you have over $3000 and she's not earning that much !!

Does anyone know of any accounts more suitable for her ? She only needs one account not a main account linked to a savings account.

We have our daughters money paid into her savings account with Westpac and when she wants some out, i just transfer it into mine and draw it out for her

edit: she gets interest and doesnt yet have $3000 in her account!

No charge for any of it

Last edited by Sam; Nov 26th 2007 at 11:55 am. Reason: to add a bit
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
We have our daughters money paid into her savings account with Westpac and when she wants some out, i just transfer it into mine and draw it out for her

edit: she gets interest and doesnt yet have $3000 in her account!

No charge for any of it
is the savings account in her name ?

I've just checked out the accounts but it says that the savings account must be linked to a main account in the same name. The savings accounts are ok but the main accounts are the rip off ones.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:03 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

is the savings account in her name ?

I've just checked out the accounts but it says that the savings account must be linked to a main account in the same name. The savings accounts are ok but the main accounts are the rip off ones.
Savings account in her name but linked to our joint account as shes a minor and can't hold her own bank account till 16!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sam
Savings account in her name but linked to our joint account as shes a minor and can't hold her own bank account till 16!
ah, excellent, I'll get her one of those then. Thanks Sam
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:08 pm
Sam
here and staying

NO worries mate

If it helps i went into the local branch and spoke to them about it and they were really helpful etc!!!

Mind you around here the local branch means the bank manager knows me!!

that took some getting used to, bank manager only used to know me coz i owed them money in the UK!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry havent got info just curious...working at 11
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

My daugher opened an account at the Commonwealth Bank at the age of 10 and does not get charged fees as she is under 16 and even then it will be free as long as she is a student. Granted she does not get interest on her money, but she also has a netbank saver fast start account linked to her everyday account where she can transfer money and I am sure she gains interest on every dollar in there (the fast start is for under 25s). She also has the netbanking so she can transfer money between the two accounts herself and when she wants to spend some she uses her eftpos card.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:15 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by curly
Sorry havent got info just curious...working at 11
Delivering leafets

Sorry OH, not stepping on your toes just spotted this and knew the answer
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids have accounts at Commonwealth and don't pay any fees. Both my husband and I have signing authority, but they're not linked to any other accounts.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sam
Delivering leafets

Sorry OH, not stepping on your toes just spotted this and knew the answer
no worries Sam !! Bleddy hard work I can tell you but she wants money we don't have !
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:26 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Our kids have accounts at Commonwealth and don't pay any fees. Both my husband and I have signing authority, but they're not linked to any other accounts.
Same here and it does pay interest - about 4% I think.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

My daughter (12) has a savings account with Bankwest and they pay 10% interest on it. She has her own efptos card and gets her statements sent to her every month. Best thing we ever did opening that account. She feels dead grown up and saves half if not more of her pocket money every week.
Tracie
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
My daughter (12) has a savings account with Bankwest and they pay 10% interest on it. She has her own efptos card and gets her statements sent to her every month. Best thing we ever did opening that account. She feels dead grown up and saves half if not more of her pocket money every week.
Tracie
10%!!! Wow. Have you transferred you life savings into it? I would remortgage the house and invest it in that account too.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
10%!!! Wow. Have you transferred you life savings into it? I would remortgage the house and invest it in that account too.
Thought about that, you can only put maximum $250 a month into the account Perfect for kids.
Tracie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.