British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bank Accounts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bank-accounts-456789/)

expom Jun 8th 2007 12:16 pm

Bank Accounts

Hello people,
I was wondering, does anybody know of a UK bank account that we are allowed to keep open when we move to Oz, (with an Oz address) ? We are with Alliance and Leicester and they have told us we will not be able to keep it with an Australian address.
Just want to keep a few quid in there for emergencies and internet shopping and so that we don't have the nightmare of opening a new one from scratch should we decide to come back.
And can I keep my UK credit card (Barclaycard) ? Havn't checked with them yet.
What have you done if you have left these rainy shores already ?

Thank you :confused:

boyz119 Jun 8th 2007 12:22 pm

Re: Bank Accounts

I was told yesterday that you have to be UK resident to hold a UK account.

However, my plan to get round this is to change acct address' to relatives (in my case mom's), use internet banking on both current acct and credit card.

What you don't tell them, they don't know about!

pam0512 Jun 8th 2007 2:12 pm

Hi,

I went into Lloyds tsb today and I am able to keep a bank account open in the UK when we emigrate.... Basically I'm going to put my mother as a signatory on my account and change the contact address to hers. That way I can still use internet banking from AUS and my mum can make withdrawals for any payments that need to made in the UK.
Hope this helps :huh:

Pam

Weasy Jun 8th 2007 2:17 pm

I put my Mum's address for our UK accounts and have continued to use them with no problem. I find it very handy to have a credirt card and account in the UK for online gifts...

Lou
xx

Ian12 Jun 8th 2007 4:57 pm

Strange. I have an both HSBC, First Direct and have had no problems. I get my statements online from one and by post from the other.

goingozwards2007 Jun 8th 2007 5:28 pm

We have accounts with Nationwide, and will be keeping them open for a couple of UK bills we still need to pay. We also have credit card, and use online banking for both accounts. You can opt out of statements, and just get an email when the CC bill is due, which we then pay online.

you can open an account with them whilst you are here, and change address to Aus when you move, you just can't open one once you have left UK.

mad.chef Jun 8th 2007 8:15 pm

Hi, I have just started to sort out the finance things, my bank account, Natwest said it was fine but still wanted to send me a statement once a year which is ok as my brother is going to be living in my house. As long as you use the account and have money going in and out etc.

We also have just opened a Nationwide account and opted out of paper statements.

When I spoke to Barclaycard they said I could keep my credit cards and also opt out of paper statements and pay my bills online.

Sarah

Mrs Jackaroo Jun 9th 2007 2:29 am

We've kept our HSBC account open and have it registered against our Oz Address.

HTH

Rach xxxx

Wol Jun 9th 2007 2:40 am

Our Barclays account's still in the UK and they have our Australian address - statements get posted here.

Roo1 Jun 9th 2007 2:55 am

We have also kept our HSBC bank account open and our statements are sent to my parents in the U.K. However, I use the internet banking service, so I can keep track that way.
Remember though, if you want to transfer money over to a AUS bank account, HSBC will only allow 10,000GBP a day and there is a 21GBP charge on this.

expom Jun 11th 2007 6:52 am

Thanks Very Much !!
Looks like I'm leaving Alliance and Leicester for HSBC.
Very helpful, cheers!

Nu-Shooz Jun 11th 2007 7:02 am

Hello, i'm new here but just wanted to say that i kept my bank account open in UK

I am with Barclays and they let me keep it open. I am in OZ now.