Bank Accounts

Old Sep 4th 2003, 7:39 pm
earlswood

Default Bank Accounts

Apparently a lot of people seem to be going with HSBC. We got a load of stuff sent from them and must say it looks a good package.

Earlswood

Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Earlswood will look into it.

footie chick
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I sent all the forms off to them 2 weeks ago. They have already emailed me my account no and sort code. The next step is for me to pay $2000 into my local HSBC branch and pick up my ATM cards and cheque book!

A very efficient service. The downside is getting someone from the bank to sign your identity proof.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done any research into HSBC here. Used them in UK, but here I use Westpac.

One thing I have to say, just to warn you, is that they have relatively few branches. There's only 1 that I know of in Adelaide. More in Sydney from memory.

But I guess in these days of internet banking that might not be too much of a problem.

Nara
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

They only have 2 branche in Perth but I only had to visit once when we arrived to pick stuff up. Everything else is done on the internet without a problem.

diane
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What do HSBC charge for ATM withdrawals at non HSBC machines?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

For Savings I recommend ING Direct. I currently have instant access and 4.75% interest and no fees which is very unusual here.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I got charged $6 this month. I've not been charged before and I'm not sure which machine I used to prompt it!!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:31 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I got charged $6 this month. I've not been charged before and I'm not sure which machine I used to prompt it!!

I am sure their literature says that you can use the post offices atm for free also
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
What do HSBC charge for ATM withdrawals at non HSBC machines?
If I remember the 1st 15 a month are free, after that its around $6. Can't remember the last time I drew out more than 15 times in a month.

Also, if you keep your balance above $2000, you get some 4% interest, and if you don't have a cheque book, EFT transactions are free
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

HSBC (and use of) has been discussed extensively over the last month or two. A quick search has revealed the following threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2

and of course there is also HSBC Australia themselves (the link is for the online account) for terms and conditions.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks "young lad" been meaning to do that (e mail hsbc about opening account) for weeks, so your link just prompted me to do it. I can add another tick to my "list of things to do before migrating" now
Old Sep 5th 2003, 11:50 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
I sent all the forms off to them 2 weeks ago. They have already emailed me my account no and sort code. The next step is for me to pay $2000 into my local HSBC branch and pick up my ATM cards and cheque book!

A very efficient service. The downside is getting someone from the bank to sign your identity proof.

I've asked in the branch about opening an account in auz, and the Uk branch will get the forms to fill in from the international office in london (or something like that). I only have to sort out a letter of introduction from my current branch. The only problem i can see is that there isn't a HSBC branch in canberra!! :O

Does anyone know if the game would be made easier if i open a UK account here first, before setting up an auz account? If it does i presume i have to be a HSBC account holder for x months/years?

Leigh
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Leigh,

I'm going for the online HSBC account. The reasons for which can be found in the links I posted earlier in this thread. I've not yet applied. Others have (from the UK), and and IIRC were sent their new cards and sort codes etc even before they'd set foot in Australia.

To answer your question about ease of opening, I can't remember anyone who came across any particular stumbling blocks when opening it from the UK.

Remember though, I'm talking specifically about the online account.

young_lad
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:53 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi young lad. I will be honest and say i hadn't read (or can't remember reading) you're previous posted threads, however, it's friday and i'm not in a working mood so i shall do it now.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's the account for me.

Leigh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.