Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Account and TFN?

Bank Account and TFN?

Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank Account and TFN?

We would like to get our TFN's and a bank account (HSBC) sorted whilst we are validating our visas next month, anyone know whether we need a permanent address in Australia before we can sort these out?
Also, can we register for Medicare whilst on holiday?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:50 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Re: Bank Account and TFN?

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
We would like to get our TFN's and a bank account (HSBC) sorted whilst we are validating our visas next month, anyone know whether we need a permanent address in Australia before we can sort these out?
Fifteen years ago went on a six month holiday and had a bank account and medicare, both without a permenant address. Whether this is still the case who knows?
Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to both is "Yes".

I think you have to allow some 10-14 days after entry to get the Medicare sorted out, so leave that to the end.

Either take out a PO box or use a friend for the address. It's only for the record and you can change it when you arrive permanently.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

though you can open up a bank account in the uk at commonwealth before you move.
if you know of anyone here you can also fill out ya tfn online.
i did it that way

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
The answer to both is "Yes".

I think you have to allow some 10-14 days after entry to get the Medicare sorted out, so leave that to the end.

Either take out a PO box or use a friend for the address. It's only for the record and you can change it when you arrive permanently.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

lynne & steve will become famous soon enoughlynne & steve will become famous soon enough

Kevin an off topic question but did you ever work at Target Transfers in Braintree Essex.

As i used to work with a guy with the same surname as you.

Steve
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynne & steve
Kevin an off topic question but did you ever work at Target Transfers in Braintree Essex.

As i used to work with a guy with the same surname as you.

Steve
No mate I didn't!!
Sometimes go to Braintree though (for the factory outlet)

How are you getting on in OZ?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:49 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

A recommendation: only apply for a TFN once you are a tax resident of Australia, which will probably be once you have moved to Australia (not on a holiday/validation trip).

Why do you want a TFN now?

Similarly, you should not enrol in Medicare until you have moved to Australia.

Best regards.

Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
A recommendation: only apply for a TFN once you are a tax resident of Australia, which will probably be once you have moved to Australia (not on a holiday/validation trip).

Why do you want a TFN now?

Similarly, you should not enrol in Medicare until you have moved to Australia.

Best regards.
Perhaps running before I can walk!!
Just want to get things moving
Is it OK to open the bank account though?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

lynne & steve will become famous soon enoughlynne & steve will become famous soon enough

No mate I didn't!!
Sometimes go to Braintree though (for the factory outlet)

How are you getting on in OZ?
We are going good thanks bud. It's the best thing we've ever done!!
We feel we have made the right choice in choosing Brissy.
The kids have settled in really well with is half the battle fought.
Now just looking forward to the rest of our lives in this beautiful country.

BTW Congratulations on your visa ... where are you heading ??

It wasn't until I'd sent the previous message that I remembered the guy's name was Simon Bloomfield.

If we can be of any help to you don't hesitate .. just ask!

Steve & Lynne
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

We are going good thanks bud. It's the best thing we've ever done!!
We feel we have made the right choice in choosing Brissy.
The kids have settled in really well with is half the battle fought.
Now just looking forward to the rest of our lives in this beautiful country.

BTW Congratulations on your visa ... where are you heading ??

It wasn't until I'd sent the previous message that I remembered the guy's name was Simon Bloomfield.

If we can be of any help to you don't hesitate .. just ask!

Steve & Lynne
Maybe heading for the sunshine coast, we are over there on holiday in 3 weeks time (hooray!!) and we'll have a good look around. Then we have to sell the house and we'll be sorted.
So is Brissie nicer than Braintree (or is that like asking is Noosa nicer than Felixstowe)?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, opening a bank account will be fine. I'd consider an online account that pays a "good" rate of interest - maybe have a look here: www.bankchoice.com.au

Note that any interest paid to you should only have withholding tax applied to it of 10% given that you provide a UK postal address - but will be assessable income in the UK for the period in which you remain a UK tax resident.

Best regards.

Perhaps running before I can walk!!
Just want to get things moving
Is it OK to open the bank account though?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Yes, opening a bank account will be fine. I'd consider an online account that pays a "good" rate of interest - maybe have a look here: www.bankchoice.com.au

Note that any interest paid to you should only have withholding tax applied to it of 10% given that you provide a UK postal address - but will be assessable income in the UK for the period in which you remain a UK tax resident.

Best regards.
I'll have a look, thanks!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Maybe heading for the sunshine coast, we are over there on holiday in 3 weeks time (hooray!!) and we'll have a good look around. Then we have to sell the house and we'll be sorted.
So is Brissie nicer than Braintree (or is that like asking is Noosa nicer than Felixstowe)?
There's no comparasion !!
We have been to Noosa as it was one of the places we had found whilst doing our research on the web before we left.Beautiful!
we have also been to Moolooaba & Caloundra also nice.
The sand is just beyond belief...seeing is believing.

You are not going to be disappointed mate!

Have you visited previously or is this your first time??

Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

There's no comparasion !!
We have been to Noosa as it was one of the places we had found whilst doing our research on the web before we left.Beautiful!
we have also been to Moolooaba & Caloundra also nice.
The sand is just beyond belief...seeing is believing.

You are not going to be disappointed mate!

Have you visited previously or is this your first time??

I've been before (as a backpacker), I knew then that Australia was the place for me, I thought it would ever happen though (no skills etc). We now have the visa and we can't wait to get over.
My wife and son haven't been over so I hope they like it when we are over on our hols (otherwise a divorce may be on the cards!!!, just joking)

I can't beleive Noosa is nicer than Felixstowe though, you'll be saying the weather is warmer in Queensland next :-))
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

I've been before (as a backpacker), I knew then that Australia was the place for me, I thought it would ever happen though (no skills etc). We now have the visa and we can't wait to get over.
My wife and son haven't been over so I hope they like it when we are over on our hols (otherwise a divorce may be on the cards!!!, just joking)

I can't beleive Noosa is nicer than Felixstowe though, you'll be saying the weather is warmer in Queensland next :-))
It's been pee'ing down all day today but its much needed at the moment so no one complains!!We all still walk around in shorts and flip flops!!(can't seem to call them thongs)

The temperature lately has been as high as 36.

I'm sure your wife and son will fall in love with the place

If you are near our neck of the woods when you guys are over, feel free to give us a shout, it'll be nice to meet up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.