Reload this Page >

Bank Account in Oz

Bank Account in Oz

Old May 18th 2003, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account in Oz

Hi Guys,

Would it be possible for me to open a bank account in Oz from the UK?

Also what implications would this have? I am no financial expert so please put this in easy to understand chunks!

My fioncee is an Ozie citizien so would we be able to open a joint account over there?

Cheers for your help in advance

Anthony
Old May 18th 2003, 11:46 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bank Account in Oz

Originally posted by anthonykirby
Hi Guys,

Would it be possible for me to open a bank account in Oz from the UK?

Also what implications would this have? I am no financial expert so please put this in easy to understand chunks!

My fioncee is an Ozie citizien so would we be able to open a joint account over there?

Cheers for your help in advance

Anthony
I have just had a really informative pack through from the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. They have a migrant service

Number 0207 7103990

You are able to set up an account here and have the exchange rate monitored and when it reaches a rate you are happy with they exchange the money over into Aus$ and on arrival in Oz have a meetign with the bank where all cards etc.. will be awaiting you for immediate use

Hope this helps

Jo
Old May 18th 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Default Thanks

Thats very helpful - thanks a lot.

Will ring them tonight!

Cheers

Anthony
Old May 18th 2003, 12:21 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thanks

Thats very helpful - thanks a lot.

Will ring them tonight!

Cheers

Anthony

Its in London so I would try in the morning. Doubt the bank will be open tonight

Jo
Old May 18th 2003, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Ahhh.

Sorry - for some bizarre reason thought the number was an Oz one!

Will phone in the morning.

Where in Oz you going to ? When u arriving ?

Anthony
Old May 18th 2003, 12:26 pm
Pass The Post

Default Re: Ahhh.

Sorry - for some bizarre reason thought the number was an Oz one!

Will phone in the morning.

Where in Oz you going to ? When u arriving ?

Anthony
Melbourne not sure when we are at the medical and polcie check stage. Hope to be there by the end of the year. We have to have our meds back to Adelaide by 19th June.

Fingers crossed won't be long after that

Jo
Old May 18th 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Link to Commonwealthbank and others at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/finance.php
Old May 18th 2003, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try banks like ANZ and St Georges.

Alot friendlier and in my experience lower fees than Commonwealth.
Old May 18th 2003, 1:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Also worth looking at is HSBC if u like internet and telephone banking.

The fees are practically non existanct...but the drawback is.....HSBC branches in Aus are practically non existant

Saying that, im with first direct over here and i hav'nt needed to actually go into a bank for a good few years.

Cheers

Pete.
Old May 18th 2003, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

HSBC also pay you quite a good rate of interest on your account if you have $1000 orover. At my last look they paid 4.3%.

I have heard a lot of bad press about The Commonwealth bank. They charge you for everything.
Old May 18th 2003, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Thanks Guys ...

Cheers for all your help/links so far

Very informative and helpful

Will look @ HSBC now...

Anthony
Old May 18th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely go for HSBC ahead of Commonwealth. Likewise, have heard some horror stories about the latter.

Internet banking is the way forward. I can't remember the last time I actually went into a bank...
Old May 18th 2003, 3:06 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Once you've opened a bank account in Oz you should look at moving the money into a high interest savings account as the aussie banking system is pants, they charge for everything.
We're off in October and have started transfering money over into CB account then straight into INGDirect which pays 4.75%.

Dinky
Old May 18th 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dinky
Once you've opened a bank account in Oz you should look at moving the money into a high interest savings account as the aussie banking system is pants, they charge for everything.
We're off in October and have started transfering money over into CB account then straight into INGDirect which pays 4.75%.

Dinky
INGDirect have also just launched in UK last week. They are offering the best interest rate for savings (4.3%)

http://www.ingdirect.co.uk

Regards
Karl.
Old May 18th 2003, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Dinky

Dinky

I just posted that HSBC pays 4.3% to money in their current account, so there is not much point transfering it to get 4.75%.

You have to keep $1000 in it to get this rate of interest.

I can't believe that most people sign up for The Commonwealth with all of their charges and lousy interest rates! okay if you like flushing your money down the pan I suppose!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.