Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bank account/credit rating

bank account/credit rating

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default bank account/credit rating

We are moving to Sydney in a few months and I need to open a bank account. Any ideas as to where I should apply?

I read a while back HSBC had an account for travellers. We are not going to travel we are going to emigrate, so not sure if we apply.

Also I lived in the US for a while and it took some time to build up credit reference, to get credit card, bank account etc.

Is this the same in Aus. Is it easy to get credit cards etc? Also how quickly can you buy a house (get a mortgage) after working, 1 year etc.

Help appreciated.

Regards,

Christian.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bank account/credit rating

HSBC will let you keep an existing account, you just need to let them know your new address once you're settled.

Most of the Oz banks allow you to set up an account before you arrive, I've recently set one up with anz, details here https://ola.anz.com/noah/app/dda/wel...sp?apptype=436

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
We are moving to Sydney in a few months and I need to open a bank account. Any ideas as to where I should apply?

I read a while back HSBC had an account for travellers. We are not going to travel we are going to emigrate, so not sure if we apply.

Also I lived in the US for a while and it took some time to build up credit reference, to get credit card, bank account etc.

Is this the same in Aus. Is it easy to get credit cards etc? Also how quickly can you buy a house (get a mortgage) after working, 1 year etc.

Help appreciated.
House you can self certify as is the case in most countries

Credit Rating re c/cards you need bank history, AUSSIE are a less lenient

Setting Bank acct is straightforward. Take 3 proofs of ID. And you should be rite, drivers license , passport with visa in , centrelink or similar
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:46 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
House you can self certify as is the case in most countries

Credit Rating re c/cards you need bank history, AUSSIE are a less lenient

Setting Bank acct is straightforward. Take 3 proofs of ID. And you should be rite, drivers license , passport with visa in , centrelink or similar
Pretty sure that you can open an account within the first three months with just a passport.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Pretty sure that you can open an account within the first three months with just a passport.
Hi my husband and i opened an account with st George bank 2 years ago when we were on holiday we just needed our passports, we thought it was a good idea at the time as we new we would be emigrating in the near future Janet
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Indeed you can keep your existing UK accounts (and credit cards).

Some firms to promote 'international' accounts, mostly for the jetset executive pack. By recollection, the HSBC (uk) website offers some tips on whether this is worth it. I seem to remember that it said that for tax reasons, there was little benefit in having one of these accounts if one was moving to Australia.

The easiest route to setting up an account in Aus is to go via the London migrant banking section of Commonwealth Bank. This is becasue you can do most of the set-up identifcation checks while in the UK, which means on the other side you do not get so bogged down in 100 point ID check thing since they were able to use your UK address at set-up time. Opening accounts in AUstralia by simply walking in means you would need sufficient IID with your Aussie address to pass the 100 point check. It takes time to get this ID sorted out, so be careful not to leave yourself in financial limbo if you go this route.

Credit cards: well I had (and still have) several UK credit cards with quite large credit limits. Commonwealth Bank gave me a Mastercard with a much lower limit that I requested. The limit was $1000 - which is very inconvenient and stingy. Like in the UK, my credit limit will be reviewed every 6 months so I hope to be 'upped'.

Neil