Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank account charge

Bank account charge

Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank account charge

Is it normal to pay a monthly fee for an Australian bank account, just looking at banking options and an ANZ Access Advantage account is $5 a month...ok it's not a lot but is it the norm to pay for an account?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account charge

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Is it normal to pay a monthly fee for an Australian bank account, just looking at banking options and an ANZ Access Advantage account is $5 a month...ok it's not a lot but is it the norm to pay for an account?
Yes

But you can avoid it with most banks by simply having a minimum amount going into your account each month.... Usually your wages is enought to cover that.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull

Only if you want to pay it. There are plenty of fee free banking alternatives out there.

I bank with Citibank, and there are no fees at all.

S
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

That's reasonably cheap. Australian banks charge at will, there is no escaping it. If you walk into a bank, they will charge a fee for walking and breathing...oh yes.. and the bank clerks won't even crack a smile or snigger as they look you in the eye as you carry out the transaction, knowing that each stroke of the pen and press of the keypad costs you.

I couldn't find an Australian bank in Australia that didn't charge for having an account or for routine transactions.
I'm sure someone will come along a try and disprove me, but they'll have a hell of a job as Australian Banks in Australia are notorious for being a rip off.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:10 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
That's reasonably cheap. Australian banks charge at will, there is no escaping it. If you walk into a bank, they will charge a fee for walking and breathing...oh yes.. and the bank clerks won't even crack a smile or snigger as they look you in the eye as you carry out the transaction, knowing that each stroke of the pen and press of the keypad costs you.

I couldn't find an Australian bank in Australia that didn't charge for having an account or for routine transactions.
I'm sure someone will come along a try and disprove me, but they'll have a hell of a job as Australian Banks in Australia are notorious for being a rip off.

That's why I bank with an American bank in Australia.

Citibank Plus Account

S
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We dont pay fees on any of our 3 westpac accounts
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

We dont pay fees with our nab account. we set up the migrant account from the uk and transferred money through moneycorp. you only get a cashcard initially but we got a debit card through within 10 days - though again we had to go individually and collect them.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

As opposed to banks in the UK where rose petals are scattered at your feet by bikini-clad 'petal operatives' upon entering said financial institutes.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007
We dont pay fees on any of our 3 westpac accounts
Originally Posted by Bikergirl
We dont pay fees with our nab account. we set up the migrant account from the uk and transferred money through moneycorp. you only get a cashcard initially but we got a debit card through within 10 days - though again we had to go individually and collect them.
Can you tell me what accounts you have? I am surprised there are Australian Bank accounts with no fees.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:38 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me what accounts you have? I am surprised there are Australian Bank accounts with no fees.
Commonwealth bank accounts have no fees if you deposit $2000 a month.

Forget your monthly fee
We will waive your monthly fee if you:
Are under 21 years old;
Opened your account after 1 June 2010 and deposit at least $2,000 each calendar month and from 17 October 2011, if you are 21 to 24 years old you will be exempt from monthly account fees if you deposit at least $1000 into the account each calendar month (excludes Bank initiated transactions);
Have a balance of $50,000 or more in eligible contributing accounts;
Have your aged or war veterans pension deposited into this account; or
Are currently part of a Wealth Package where the annual fee is paid.

We will also waive your monthly account fee if you let us know that you are:
A student at an education institution located in Australia or are undertaking an Australian apprenticeship. You must show us suitable student identification.
Reliant on over-the-counter services because of a disability preventing you using electronic banking facilities. The exemption will apply to a nominated account.
For more details please see our Transaction, Savings and Investment Accounts General Information and Terms and Conditions, available online or from any branch of the Bank.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I am surprised there are Australian Bank accounts with no fees.
HSBC providing you open the account with $2,000 no fees. You can reduce the ammount to below $2,000 once it's open with no min limit and no requirement to make any deposits at all.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

NAB Classic has no fees:

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec..._finance/5/1/2
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Esaver, rocket repayment and a choice
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's reasonably cheap. Australian banks charge at will, there is no escaping it.
Total rubbish. I have accounts with HSBC and ANZ and do not, and never have, paid fees.

Fee free banking is out there if you are prepared to look. Those monthly fee bank accounts are very popular in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:57 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with ANZ and pay nothing for a current account with Visa Debit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.