Wikiposts

Bank account

Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account

how do you gop about setting up a bank account in oz? What information do you need and how do you go about it?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a question on this the other day with information etc. Use the search.
Good luck with it all

footie chick
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank account

In short, they use a points system for ID. Various documents earn points, and you need to get over the limit for your ID to be considered adequate. They like points systems in Oz, eh? :-)

A UK passport with an immigration stamp earns you enough points if you've entered the country recently (either 1 month or 3 months, can't remember exactly). You don't need anything else.

My wife and I went on holiday to Sydney last Easter and opened an account whilst there, with just our passports. We gave my cousin's address and phone number when asked (and explained it was his address... no problem). We then changed the details via online banking once back home.

That was with St. George. If you keep more than $750 in the account there are no monthly fees if it's inactive. Otherwise its $5 or so per month. WestPac wanted $2,000.

The account is coming in useful now that we need to give my cousin the $5,000 Bond for our family sponsored application.

If opening from the UK, I think you'll need to find an Oz bank with a London branch. As footie chick says, you might find more info with a search of this site.

HTH.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 10:15 am

arridia is an unknown quantity at this point

Commonwealth Bank and ANZ offer simple and easy setting up of accounts from the UK if that's any help. That must save a lot of hassle before you arrive?
Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:28 am
Fez
Just Joined

Fez is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the time limit is six weeks after entry into Aus before you need more than your passport + visa. My advice would be to open an account with ANZ as they charge a $5 monthly fee but that gives you unlimited electronic transactions (cashpoint and EFTPOS). All other banks charge you every time you use a cashpoint and/or pay by card. Their internet banking is also very straightforward.

Originally posted by arridia
Commonwealth Bank and ANZ offer simple and easy setting up of accounts from the UK if that's any help. That must save a lot of hassle before you arrive?
Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Account

I've thought about this one too. We are already customers of First Direct which is affiliated with HSBC. I phoned them yesterday and they said that all you need to do is phone them 6 weeks before you are due to go to Australia and they will sort all the transfer of money etc to HSBC in Oz. Hopefully the account will already be set up for you by the time you get there.

Hope this is of some use.

Claire
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Talking

You can open an account over here for Oz eith HSBC, I spoke to a guy in London, you just open one up like and account over here.

We are doing our begining of next year and by the way HSBC have the cheapest rates.

Carrianne
Old Apr 8th 2003, 12:29 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

St George's bank are affiliated with Barclays so you could perhaps start the account opening process at a larger barclays branch.