which bank?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default which bank?

confused as to which is the best bank account to set up before i migrate as their seems to be so many. dont want to pay silly fees on everyday banking
any advice please
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice
Default Re: which bank?

Originally Posted by garyp
confused as to which is the best bank account to set up before i migrate as their seems to be so many. dont want to pay silly fees on everyday banking
any advice please
Bankwest have no fees. You have to set that up here tho, not in UK. They have been great and we have several accts with them. we actually changed from another bank whose fees were astronimcal
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzJo
Bankwest have no fees. You have to set that up here tho, not in UK. They have been great and we have several accts with them. we actually changed from another bank whose fees were astronimcal
banks don't normally charge fees for using a savings in oz do they? just checking right?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
banks don't normally charge fees for using a savings in oz do they? just checking right?
Most Aussie banks charge you if you breathe near them, and the majority also charge for savings accounts (which are what they call the equivalent of UK current accounts).
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most Aussie banks charge you if you breathe near them, and the majority also charge for savings accounts (which are what they call the equivalent of UK current accounts).
you mean they charge you to give them your money so that they can invest your money and turn a profit? :curse:
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:28 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Still can't get my head round the different accounts and why you get asked for whether its cheque, savings or ?? when using your bank card ! Why have 3 types linked to what is after all the same account ?

I've got 2 accounts : one current account (always set to cheque, not sure the significance of this type over 'savings', why would anyone need an additional 'savings' type linked to this account ?) and a 2nd high interest account. Use internet banking to move money between the 2.

Last edited by BAY; Apr 8th 2009 at 3:33 am.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by BAY
Still can't get my head round the different accounts and why you get asked for whether its cheque, savings or ?? when using your bank card ! Why have 3 types linked to what is after all the same account ?

I've got 2 accounts : one current account (always set to cheque, not sure the significance of this type over 'savings', why would anyone need an additional 'savings' type linked to this account ?) and a 2nd high interest account. Use internet banking to money between the 2.
Only charges Bankwest have is for credit cards - yearly fee,

no acct charges, no atm fees, good rate for savings
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

you mean they charge you to give them your money so that they can invest your money and turn a profit? :curse:

Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head!

Originally Posted by OzJo
Only charges Bankwest have is for credit cards - yearly fee,

no acct charges, no atm fees, good rate for savings

Also check out HSBC and Citibank

there is certainly fee free everyday banking to be had.

S
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by garyp
any advice please
Unless you have a pressing urge I would wait until you are in Australia.

I've moved my day to day banking to a credit union. I get everything I ever needed from a bank and they are still customer orientated unlike the banks.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Heaps of them are fee free for true, high-interest, savings accounts (using "savings accounts" in the UK use of the phrase). Check out the online one's.

To clarify we call all accounts "savings" accounts. There is no concept of a current account like the UK. The "savings" account that your pay goes into usually becomes your first main savings (current) account that your cheque book is tied to but you can have many savings accounts.

If it is a high interest account for saving money it might still be called a "savings account" or a "high interest" account or a special bank specific name.

So the main point is don't refer to current accounts - most people won't know what you are talking about. Just say I want x number of linked savings accounts, with a cheque book linked to one of them, or my home loan interest offset from this one etc

Obviously, I am just talking generically as there are so many variations/bank specifics etc....just wanted to give people some more context to things...